Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I reading this correctly?

"All Production GT cars with forced-induction entered in ProRally Championship or ClubRally events shall have an air inlet orifice of 32mm diameter or less..."

ClubRally entrants must run a 32 mm restrictor??

I was told last year by a certain high ranking official (who paraphrased Kurt) that the Pro PGT restrictor would never trickle down to Club cars. Granted, no promises were made but only one year later it happens?
I don't remember see this as even a suggestion in the past year.

Please tell me I've misinterpreted this.

Dave LaFavor

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
My interpretation is that you are correct, you must now run a 32mm restrictor. It also states that ClubRally open class cars now must run a 40mm restrictor.

Mark Utecht

Edit, It also seems to clearly state that you now MUST remove the ABS system. But then again, what do I know?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I thought open class clubrally cars have always had to run a 40mm restrictor...

I asked my tech inspector...yes
I asked popular opinon here...yes
I asked a couple of compeitors...yes

if there was some way to look at the rules that didn't say yes...I sure couldn't see it.

BTW, 40mm spun aluminum carb air horns work pretty well :)

john

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Isn't PGT and G5 going to be dropped as of 2003?
I thought something like that was said.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Isn't PGT and G5 going to be dropped as of 2003?
>I thought something like that was said.

Since the 2003 rules as published in Fastrack include those classes, I think it's safe to say no.

Adrian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Is this for '03 or right now?

Hmm. There's a good question. I didn't see an effective date, either in the BoD minutes or the rules appendix, so technically they should be effective Oct 1 2002 (first day of the month that they are published in Fastrack). Wouldn't that make life interesting, especially in light of Phil Smith's questions about the roll cage rules?

You could also then see SpeedFactor(tm) and SpeedRanking(tm) in operation at LSPR. Could anyone think up names that are more lame?

(Actually, I think they are for '03)
Adrian

·
Registered
162 Posts
It looks like the forced induction displacement multiplier also changed from 1.4 to 1.7. This means that the largest forced induction engine allowed is now 3 liters. (3 liters x 1.7 = 5.1 liters which is the maximum adjusted displacement allowed.)

The chart showing the restrictor sizes for the open class says that engines over 4000 cc must have a 36 mm restrictor. If I am reading this correctly, it seems to indicate that ALL open class cars (with or without forced induction) are now required to have a restrictor.

I am coming to this conclusion because 1. the restrictor chart does not distinguish NA from Forced Induction engines and 2. If the chart only applied to Forced Induction engines, it would stop at the 3000 cc mark since that is the largest forced induction engine you can use under the new displacement multiplier.

This is probably just a bad interpritation caused by an oversight in the restrictior chart but it sure seems strange - is there any way we could get some kind of clarification?

Thanks,

John B.

Doh! After posting this I found section 10.1-I which says that the chart only applies to forced induction cars. I suppose they are including the larger engines in the chart so that any cars being grandfathered into the new rules will have the correct restrictor.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks - I need to see if my cage design is still Ok anyway. It would not have confused me if they had either labeled the chart as being for forced induction only or placed the chart after the text stating that it was for forced induction only.

John B.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Doh! After posting this I found section 10.1-I which says
>that the chart only applies to forced induction cars. I
>suppose they are including the larger engines in the chart
>so that any cars being grandfathered into the new rules will
>have the correct restrictor.

Actually, the chart is based on 'adjusted displacement' and the forced induction multiplier has been 1.7 for a long time.

Adrian

·
Registered
28 Posts
Was there any mention of the placement of the restrictor.
GroupN required the restrictor to be X millimeters in front
of the turbo and held by two set screws. yada yada yada.

Lets change Club PGT to GroupN. :)

Simon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts