Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ottawa - The Motorsport Club of Ottawa (www.mco.org), Canada, celebrates 30th anniversary of the 1974 World Championship Rally of the Rideau Lakes.

The Lanark Highlands Rally, 30-31 October, is a brisk overnight road
rally using many of the same technical roads and tracks that remain from the 1974 event, which was organised by the Outouais Valley Autosport Club.

Limited to 40 teams, this years event is part of the Ontario Road Rally Cup, one of the most competitve road rally series in Canada. This increasingly popular rally has grown to 350 km and will test many of the top drivers in the region, and is attracting entries from as far away as 500 km, including and the North East USA.

Subaru Canada (www.subaru.ca) and Williams Racing (www.wpfri.com)
have provided prizes and awards sponsorship. Not only will competitors gain from the experience, the Lanark County food bank will receive hundreds of pounds of food donated by competitors.

In the ramp up to the Lanark Highlands Rally , which is also a celebration of the 30th anniversary of the 1974 World Championship Rally of the Rideau Lakes, we have obtained and made available the official program to you for download from the Motorsport Club of Ottawa website. It was 30 years ago this weekend that the 'WRC' ran in Canada.

Look to the future but keep the history alive!

Here is the link:
www.mco.org/download/rally/program_rideaulakes74.pdf (12 MB pdf file)

The Lanark Highlands Rally is sanctioned by RallySport Ontario, the
ASN Canada FIA rallying authority for Ontario.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
>Ottawa - The Motorsport Club of Ottawa (www.mco.org),
>Canada, celebrates 30th anniversary of the 1974 World
>Championship Rally of the Rideau Lakes.
>
>Outouais Valley Automobile Club.
>
>Here is the link:
>www.mco.org/download/rally/program_rideaulakes74.pdf (12 MB
>pdf file)
>

Well, lookie there, Sandy and I got our names listed in the program, car 57. That was one cool event.

Doug,

I was just wondering the other day what might have happened to the Outouais Valley Automobile Club when I was deciding on which club to join to get my Canadian license. Was the OVAC only made up just for the event?

Kent Gardam

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Doug,
>
>I was just wondering the other day what might have happened
>to the Outouais Valley Automobile Club when I was deciding
>on which club to join to get my Canadian license. Was the
>OVAC only made up just for the event?

Kent:

No, OVAC was formed around 1965 and remained active as a rally club until around 1980.

At one point in time, it was probably the "best" rally club in Canada with many members who were National Rally Champions and organizers of national events.

We still have OVAC reunions from time to time. The last one that I was at had one member who had competed in his first rally in 1954 and another who had competed on five Shell 4000 rallies. Unfortunately, one of our most prominent members, John Slade (who was Canadian Rally Champion in 1968), died recently.

See you at Tall Pines.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ONE DAY TO GO!

Unless we get a lot of walk-ins, a smaller than expected entry (about 30 teams), but with some impressive names on the roster. ACP and MG, and Brian Maxwell returns with Jaroslav Bartman to defend last year's victory in the Lanark, and some other American entries (bringing a poster from the '74 event). Ontario P4 champions Fifi and Dexatron will be there, too. Several MCO teams are eager to cause an upset, as well as many Intermediates that did last year's edition. Expect to see RLR 74 routemaster Doug Woods on the starting line (unless it's really wet, I'm a nice guy, eh!).

Going to be warm, wet, and wild. Weatherman says:
Saturday .. Showers with the risk of a thunderstorm. Fog patches dissipating in the morning. Wind becoming south 20 km/h in the afternoon. High 15.
Sunday .. Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers. Low 7. High 10.

Craig

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Expect to see RLR 74 routemaster Doug Woods on the
>starting line (unless it's really wet, I'm a nice guy, eh!).
>
>Going to be warm, wet, and wild. Weatherman says:
>Saturday .. Showers with the risk of a thunderstorm. Fog
>patches dissipating in the morning. Wind becoming south 20
>km/h in the afternoon. High 15.
>Sunday .. Cloudy. 60 percent chance of showers. Low 7. High
>10.

Craig:

I am going to be golfing in the afternoon, rain or shine, so I think you can count on me to be at the start line, regardless of conditions.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great news, Doug! Walter may show up, too. He seemed *almost* certain.

Cheers,
Craig
LHR Organiser 2003, 2004

1 - 8 of 8 Posts