Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is 2wd on the move? Personally, I think it is and I will tell you why. It turns fans into competitors at a lower price than any AWD option could offer. It is this "grin per kilometre" factor that is rally's best weapon in winning recruits and we need to play to our strengths. I know how much fun the Group 2 crews have even though they live in the PR shadow of the AWD teams. If anyone on this forum reading this is considering this question PAUSE! Ask people like ACP who have been down this road for their advice and listen to what they have to say. "Autocar" magazine just last week reported that the FIA is giving serious consideration to a 2wd formula for the WRC in light of escalating costs and diminishing commitments from manufacturers. CARS is considering a "Group 5" formula to accomodate large displacement 2wd cars as in the USA. 2wd is on the move. If anyone tells you "yeah, sure its cheaper but if you want to win..." remember that this year, for the second time in two years, a 22 year old 2wd non-turbo car won the Scottish Tour of Mull ahead of a good number of WRC spec cars...

http://www.2300club.org/results/04_final.html

Am I biased? Probably }> I will be at PFR helping service RSport Rally's new AWD Turbo Impreza 555. Stop by for a chat...:+

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
RE: 2wd ascendant? No but it IS the best investment/return

Comrade Lithuhamovitch,

A lot of young 20 somethings say they know that "most of the fans are there to see the powerful awd turbo cars" with all the assurance of 20 somethings, of course ignoring the idiocy of claiming to speak for "Most", but I somehow think that most are there to see action and really don't care if the car is turbo or 4wd or not, as long as it _appears_ to be driven hard.

I said it on the USA forum that it would be an easier proposition to ask everybody to unzip and lay their John Thomas on the table rather than get an honest discussion on just how much they spend on their rally toys.

Suffice it to say I believe that $4500 spent to win a whopping zero,
is a far better investment than $65,000+ spent to win twice as much.

have fun this weekend tarvichi y darougi

And remember the motto of the Gpf "That's the Beauty of 2wd"

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

·
Registered
233 Posts
RE: 2wd ascendant? No but it IS the best investment/return

Look at all the 2wd series in the UK and Europe. Fiats, little Fords, Micras, etc. Doesn't seem to bother those folks. Loads of competitors.

Sure the 2wd are slower (generally) but with less traction, they're on the limit, and LOOK on the limit more than the AWD cars, so more fun to watch in many ways. So, I think 2wd (as a marshal/spactator) is loads of fun, and people who know the sport at all have a ton of respect for those that can flog a 2wd car well. Anyway, you really only need to win your class. You probably need a hundred grand (or more) to win overall for the year.

More 2wd!!

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kchamm/rally1.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts