Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

· Rally Muse
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
March 19, 2011 has been identified as the date for Doo ***.

Details are still in the works but we hope to have most information and volunteer/competitor registration out by mid-November. Mt. Hood Rally is a great success and we are considering this format for DooWop (yes, with recce and a one day rally.) RallyCar (sanctioning body formerly known as Rally America :p) will again provide sanction and insurance.

· Registered
774 Posts
Noooooo, say it isn't so. I love the 2 day no notes event, I am sure lots of others do too. I like driving with notes, but I think a no note rally makes everyone better drivers.

Either way, thanks for all the work making it happen, we will be there regardless. But if it is a one day rally, then night stages for sure!

· Rally Muse
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Noooooo, say it isn't so. I love the 2 day no notes event, I am sure lots of others do too. I like driving with notes, but I think a no note rally makes everyone better drivers.

Either way, thanks for all the work making it happen, we will be there regardless. But if it is a one day rally, then night stages for sure!
I agree, I love the 2 day event, but we are working with the roads we know we can get! Also, a 1 day event makes it less likely that volunteers won't need a hotel room if they live close enough to drive home the night of the event.

· Driver & Navi
828 Posts
Thanks for the update, Tracy! Glad to hear Doo **** is on - And I like the later date, too. I've missed my wife's birthday for the past 3-4 years because of Doo **** (and I'm still married! How's that for great support?).

I've loved the format of Doo **** in the past, but a one-day event is definitely easier on volunteers. Plus, rally is about variety, so mixing it up should make things more interesting.

We will be there!

Doug

· Vote Libertarian next time!
481 Posts
I'll be there no matter what but I have to admit I am having an adverse reaction to the thought of recce in an event that traditionally has not. I love notes, I love making them and reading them (with english accent of course) but it just seems so... wrong at this event.

· Rally Muse
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be there no matter what but I have to admit I am having an adverse reaction to the thought of recce in an event that traditionally has not. I love notes, I love making them and reading them (with english accent of course) but it just seems so... wrong at this event.
I know, I know - it is weird. But you don't HAVE to do recce. The same great route book creator (Ron Barker) will be our Clerk of Course!

If we never try something new, we won't know whether it's a good thing or not... We can always go back!

· Registered
774 Posts
Everyone I talked to when we thought of getting into rallying mentioned the laid back, grass roots feel of Doo ****. I am afraid that will change with Recce and notes.

I personally thought Recce was NOT fun, added an extra hassle of finding a car to use ect.

· I drive the car.
930 Posts
Much thanks to the organizers and volunteers for all of our rally events.

:)

I like the MH format. In my opinon it is a safer way to run the event. I think it also has "level playing field" effect for our DW2011 2WD Prize Fund since a lot of old timer 2WD rally guys know these roads really well.

· You smell sumthin burnin?
182 Posts
I have mixed opinions about the possible format change, I'm sure the organizers will do the best with what they have.
One thing I know is I'll be there either way!

· 600-Crest-Saran wrap
516 Posts
One day sounds fine!! Have the rally totally consumed around montesano and brooklyn, there is alot of fun you can have on a one day event up there! Plus it will give me a chance to try my luck in a 2wd car, without the total abuse of a 2 day event!

DW still my Fav!! Il be there!

Gabe v.

· Registered
2,419 Posts
A one day event is easier on the wallets of the people who organize , run and volunteer for the event. It gets pretty expensive to have 3 multiple day events in a row with the same people participating in them.

DooWoops will still be a laid back regional event. Having recce will make it better for those that wish to particiapte in it. There must be enough footage of those stages on line to make a feature film. Everyone can get a good idea of what is what, but some people have them memorized from running the route so many times. As 3 of the stages are public roads it is nearly impossible to monitor pre-running anyway ( not sayong we won't be looking though) plus the subtle nature of the roads changes enough it should be safer seeing the surface the day before. Smith Creek particularly. This will also give folks a chance to learn or refine their recce skils somewhat before our 2 Nationals. As Charles mentioned it may level the field.

DooWops will still be a great, fun regional. We hope to see you all with smiling faces and new tires.

· Registered
225 Posts
It will be a great event either way. I just ask for the most amount of stage miles possible:)The Mt.hood Rally has a great grassroots laid back feel with recce so i don't think recce is going to change the feel of doowop. I also believe recce especially like mt hood where you don't just get a book...It really elevates the communication and level of northwest teams, and is something you don't really get anywhere else in the states. I applaud the decision and it further solidifies my opinion that the NW is the the best region for rally in the US!!
Thank you!!

· your other left, you idiot
4,013 Posts
Well, um, it's kinda like losing one's virginity....

It's really hard to go back.

I know, I know - it is weird. But you don't HAVE to do recce. The same great route book creator (Ron Barker) will be our Clerk of Course!

If we never try something new, we won't know whether it's a good thing or not... We can always go back!
press on,

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.