Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are in the "silly season" between Tall Pines and the posting of entries for Perce Neige Maniwaki. So

- any declarations of car and/or crew changes/additions/retirements ?

- how about wild rumours and speculations as to the same ?

One might assume that the CARS announcement of the new TV contract might be having some impact on who will be doing what. Toyota's interest in filming a commercial with a rally car could lead to some interesting speculation too ?

I suspect that someone will be unable to resist suggesting that for many of us rallying is silly yearend round. However, that not-with-standing, what have you heard or what are your guesses for the 2006 Canadian season ?

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Suzuki Canada Team develops unbreakable windows

>I suspect that someone will be unable to resist suggesting
>that for many of us rallying is silly yearend round. However,
>that not-with-standing, what have you heard or what are your
>guesses for the 2006 Canadian season ?

There is one rumor I've heard:

Following the 10 minute penalty incurred by Bill Bacon's Suzuki team rallycar for a broken window and narrowly escaping event exclusion at Tall Pines last month, Team Suzuki Canada led an indepth investigation into the matter. It was determined by in-car video, spectator witness statements and DNA samples of the glass shards left at the scene, the window in question was in fact shattered in a collision with a spruce grouse(wild game bird roughly the size and weight of a chicken). Tragically, the bird's carcass was eventually found nearby.

Because Suzuki team codriver professor Peter Watt works full time as a particle physicist, he knew for a long time about the FAA's Linear Chicken Accelerator, which is a much higher energy machine than the particle accelerators at Fermilab,CERN or SLAC. The only
difference is that it accelerates chickens instead of protons or electrons.

The US Federal Aviation Administration developed this
unique device for testing the strength of windshields on airplanes. The device is a gun that launches a dead chicken at a plane's windshield at approximately the speed the plane flies. The theory is that if the windshield doesn't crack from the carcass
impact, it'll survive a real collision with a bird during flight.

Wanting to bird-proof all windows in their trusty Suzukis to prevent any time penalties or possible exclusion next season, Suzuki Canada purchased bullet-resistant glass and fitted into Bacon's rallycar, rented the FAA's chicken launcher and setup at 4Star Motorsports, loaded the chicken and fired. The ballistic chicken shattered the windshield, went through the racing seat, broke a rollbar crossbar and embedded itself in the trunk. The Sprongls were stunned and asked the FAA to recheck the test to see if everything was done correctly.

The FAA reviewed the test thoroughly and had one
recommendation:

"Use a thawed chicken."

:+

·
Registered
555 Posts
RE: Suzuki Canada Team develops unbreakable windows

Seems like no one is willing to reveal their plans, in which case I will stay quiet too! :p

The Perce neige site just got updated and has the schedule. 233 km of stage!! the last stages should be intense as they were last year with a 15.69 km stage followed by a 0.88 km transit, then a 50.4 km stage followed by a 1.1 km transit to the final 15.69 km stage run in reverse...wow! I cannot wait!

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
Is this the '06 PN Schedule

It is IDENTICAL to last year's schedule.

So ... is the one they have posted correct for 2006 ?

Thanks All,

·
Registered
555 Posts
RE: Is this the '06 PN Schedule

Alan pointed that out to me, for some reason I thought the cameronian stage was 10km last year so the 15km was different....My guess is that they posted the wrong one

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts

The sked does say 2006 at the top ... perhaps they are just running teh same event! (not unheard of)

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts

>Alan pointed that out to me, for some reason I thought the
>cameronian stage was 10km last year so the 15km was
>different....My guess is that they posted the wrong one

John:

I think you are right. The supp regs say that service is at Black Rollway in 2006 but the map and schedule posted say that service is at Tortue.

If people remember the drive into Black Rollway a few years ago, it was quite an adventure for the serive crews getting their service vehicles and trailers up some of the hills.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
315 Posts

Corrected schedule is posted. There's even an Excel version for all you movement planners. 273km of stages!

http://www.rallyscoring.com/PerceNeige/en/schedule.html

Map available here:

http://pages.videotron.com/ralroute/carte_du_parcours_2006

Note that service is NOT at Black Rollway (thankfully), as discussed elsewhere. We're servicing at the top end of Tortue, but IIRC there is a covered bridge along the way that is too low for some of the bigger service rigs. There is a detour - I think it involves going north on Chemin de Montcerf and south on Chemin du 6e rang. Can anyone confirm? Christian?

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts

> We're servicing at the top end of
>Tortue, but IIRC there is a covered bridge along the way that
>is too low for some of the bigger service rigs. There is a
>detour - I think it involves going north on Chemin de Montcerf
>and south on Chemin du 6e rang. Can anyone confirm?
>Christian?

That's pretty much correct, Alan. About 2-3km after the junction of Chemin de Montcerf and Chemin de l'Aigle, Chemin de l'Aigle passes over a river on a covered bridge. The height of the bridge roof is about 3.5m, but the road angles steeply up on the west end of the bridge, and the effective height is even lower. A standard Ford/Chevy/Mopar boxvan (roughly 11 feet high) will NOT clear it.

To bypass, we actually drove 105 N to Chemin Bois-Franc-Montcerf, into Montcerf-Lytton, and south on Chemin du 6e Rang back to Chemin de l'Aigle. You could take the route on Chemin de Montcerf and south on Chemin du 6e Rang, but it would take longer, so stick with the main road.

HTH,
- Christian

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I heard a major piece of good news for Canadian rallysport today - watch the Perce Neige entry list or for a press release before PN.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I looked on the entry list today and there was only 14 entries?!
Is that correct because I swear I saw more on there earlier...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Lets get Toyota to put Pat R. into a Echo and then Pat/Nat and battle with Frank/Dan for the P2 title and push the AWD cars!!:7

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>I heard a major piece of good news for Canadian rallysport
>today - watch the Perce Neige entry list or for a press
>release before PN.

Jim:

There are now 35 PN entries, but I don't see anything yet that looks like a major piece of good news.

Doug Woods

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Since we know there are two Swifts ... and only one entered ... could we be seeing a Pat vs. Frank showdown in the same chasis?

·
Registered
41 Posts
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/Pages/CAQC0329.htm

looks like perfect weather conditions for the event!

was it warmer last year?

I made a similar joke in pats video post... (peugot vs. swift)

but I think this whole swift vs. swift thing has a real chance.

Suzuki would be smart to put the offer on the table. considering Rocket can do his maintaince same as four star does Franks.

and oh yeah... they have a knack for winning.

AW

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hmm... not looking so good now... rain and snow between now and Sunday. It's pouring rain in Ottawa right now and all the snow is melting... Will be an icy mess if/when it freezes!

-Martin.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts