Special Stage Forums banner

2006 Budget?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its anonymous. Don't be bashful or embarrassed by how much or how little you spend on your sport.

If you are getting sponsorship funding, count it in. If you are renting a ride, include your travel and your rental/insurance/crew fees. If you are sitting out most the season, but building a new car, figure your buy/build budget in.

If you are sitting on a deal that may mean the difference between eating Ramen noodles or filet mignon at events, use your discression about whether you tell what you "have" vs. what you "are really close to closing on."

I know this will not be likely to offer an accurate portrayal of expenditure, but, if people actually respond (honestly), it will likely reveal a bit of the unique nature of rallying.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm impressed that we really have four people spending more than $150,000 next year. I remember when Hyundai used to have a $250,000 annual budget. How the times change.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>I'm impressed that we really have four people spending more
>than $150,000 next year.

Remember, that could include a car build... 150,000 for many top spec Grp N4 cars built from new vehicles wouldn't leave much to rally with, let alone Open.

Also, there is a BIG difference between 150K and 300K... I just had 6 choices on the poll to work with, so that's how I broke it up.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Observations/Musings:

1. Compare this to road racing. One can enter a hot hatch race at his local track with a $2000 CRX...or, if his pockets are deep enough, he can can pay $100,000 per event to enter a Porsche in an ALMS race...but the road racing SPECTRUM is so large that the two are never on the same track on the same weekend. Or compare to circle track...big difference between hobby-stock, late model, modifieds, and ARCA or similar.

Our community is so small, that we rely on each other. The large budget teams need the small budget teams to ensure enough entries that the event can run. The small budget teams need the large budget teams to add credibility to the series to make it more marketable.

2. Who is (are) the national championship(s) for? Doing a 9 event series across a country is EXPENSIVE for any type of racing. A World Challenge Touring Car effort is a $300,000 proposition. And rally cars break a LOT more stuff than a typical touring car. We are doing things with cars that they were not designed to do.

I think of the series as a "tour" more than a "series." The tour comes to town, and better'n half the characters are different than the last town, but the show is similar. Based on the responses so far, I don't see many people who can realistically plan on running a full season.

3. What is the "value" of rallying? What is the value of rallying COMPETITIVELY? Very different for different people/companies. Much like any passion (motorsport is passion, and rally more than most motorsports), value gets skewed in the eyes of a passionate competitor. If one puts an OBJECTIVE value on the sport, say for a potential sponsor (one who doesn't base their whole marketing plan around rallying), how do you think it would stack up against other motorsports/events?

·
Registered
234 Posts
>>I'm impressed that we really have four people spending more
>>than $150,000 next year.
>
>Remember, that could include a car build... 150,000 for many
>top spec Grp N4 cars built from new vehicles wouldn't leave
>much to rally with, let alone Open.
>

But how many of the top teams are on here and would participate in this poll? I know Pat is but I've never seen a post from Travis, Stig or Ken. Maybe someone representing them has participated? Maybe we will see a lot more well funded teams participating in 2006.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>But how many of the top teams are on here and would
>participate in this poll? I know Pat is but I've never seen a
>post from Travis, Stig or Ken. Maybe someone representing
>them has participated? Maybe we will see a lot more well
>funded teams participating in 2006.

I don't think its any different than many years past. I think a small number of people spend a hell of a lot more money on this than most people think.

I didn't specify a sanctioning org either, so the handful of people with REAL racing budgets could be split up between different events.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
>
>>But how many of the top teams are on here and would
>>participate in this poll? I know Pat is but I've never seen
>a
>>post from Travis, Stig or Ken. Maybe someone representing
>>them has participated? Maybe we will see a lot more well
>>funded teams participating in 2006.
>
>I don't think its any different than many years past. I think
>a small number of people spend a hell of a lot more money on
>this than most people think.

Come hang out at an airport sometime.

There was a picture floating around of the DC Shoes fleet parked next to a King Air (twin turboprop). The plan pushes a million or so,maybe more.

I know someone buying one pretty soon. He's a hilarious guy, loves to party, hangs out in shorts in the winter, but he doesn't like driving for business.

My dad has participated in a few deep sea fishing tournaments before.
These things have serious payouts.

Rally straddles a unique spot, as Eric states, in that the guys with money wouldn't have anywhere to play without the "rest of us".

As for us, we're either going to blow about 4-6k running events, maybe 600-1000 on tires, 500-2000 on misc car parts, $3k on a service rig that has no rod knock, or I am going to sell the darn thing and get a nice kayak and mountain bike.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>My dad has participated in a few deep sea fishing tournaments
>before.
>These things have serious payouts.

What's a "payout?"

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
>
>>My dad has participated in a few deep sea fishing
>tournaments
>>before.
>>These things have serious payouts.
>
>What's a "payout?"

payouts are payments made to local officials as favors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts