Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Incredible, we finally have an historic gravel stage rally coming to N. America! This is a very interesting format and a strong team of organizers.

Meanwhile, I know it's early, but does anyone know if the special stages will be run:

- blind (i.e with a tulip-style route book)
- recce
- Jemba
- ....other?

I'm also interested to know about plans for the long transits and whether trailering the rally car between stages will be permitted.

Bill Westhead

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,
This will be old style...with only a routebook. No notes....just like Europeans Historic rallys do....

No, you have to go in transit with your car and your service truck will be ahead of you at the next staged destination....

This will be a very challenged rally and it will be fun....all you do is put petrol in your car and and compete...the rest will be taken care of...your petrol as the David's call it, food, accomadations to all areas as we stop and rest. We will even take a day to visit the Yellowstone Park if you so desire or stay in your lodge when we get to the mid point of the rally.

Do note most of the top European teams will be paying about $20,000 dollars plus which includes in this amount ...customs, freignt shipping containers, freight shipping charge, demurrage charges, registration of their cars over here, a service truck provided for them, accomadations, food , parties..plus everyone gets a shirt, hat and a bag as a souvenir we will have an opening ceremony/party at the Queen Mary and the next day we start the rally...and final ceremony in San Francisco.

We will have the top medical staff roving with us for any medical emergency and possible helicopters and/or small aircraft planes to follow your progress.

American teams (Canada, Mexico, USA) will be charged alot less since you are not paying for your car to be shipped over and you will have your own service truck/trailer the rest we take care of....

I will get you solid dollar amounts later for North American teams and for the David's to get that on the website as well.

Also, we are working on TV coverage for this type of rally.

Pat and I will be helping the David's to get this event coordinated with Rally-America's help to make this happen and plus with the Western regional organizers help as well to make this rally be a blast for everyone...competitors, marshals, organizers, service teams.

I know the supplementals are done and we hope that will get onto the website very soon.

So if you are interested in competing or volunteering to be a marshal for the event or have questions. Please feel free to contact us and we will get your question(s) answered.

Denise McMahon
marymountdenise at aol.com

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay we have our first American team to enter....

This event is only taking 50 entries ( possible a few more after 50 but not too many)....it would be nice to have a blend of Americans and Europeans for this event.

David Sutton will be determining ASAP what the cost will be for the American teams and placed on the website. So once I hear from them the cost. I will publish it here and on the R-A website.

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We just sent to JB Niday of Rally-America David Sutton's official media annoucement regarding the "2006 American Adventure Historic Rally" which will start in September 2006 and run 14 days starting at the Queen Mary of Long Beach, Ca. and running through Treeline stage road in Los Angeles, Ca. and then on to Las Vegas to run Seed 9 rally roads and a 2nd day of running in the same area of Las Vegas then possibly off to Colorado to do a hillclimb (it depends on timing),and then onward to an actually live national series rally which is the Colorado COG (thanks Jim Gill) and then onward to Yellowstone Park area for a day of rest and then up to Boise, Idaho and then across to Washington, Oregon down to the Reno Rally roads then final finish to San Francisco, Ca.....

This will be the start of the many updates coming regarding this event. David Sutton is the event director and David Whittock (Ex-WRC Organizer) will be in charge of the event operations itself and along with several R-A organizers and us (Pat and Denise McMahon)...this is a prelude to the official media annoucement.

We are hoping to have at least 50 European cars over here and the cars years of age stops at 1980 and no turbo and no 4 wheel drive. An exception will be made for identical cars that have remained in prodction after 1980, they will be premitted to start. Also there is a discount on North America teams that want to enter this rally....

Suppelementals will soon be published.

Denise McMahon
2006 American Adventure

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
Sounds like a neat event.

It's unfortunate that the date conflicts with Targa Newfoundland, though. It seems like you're both trying to attract the same competitors.

Jeff

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was thinking the same thing. The biggest differences are that Targa is a tarmac event and lasts about one (long) week while American Adventure is gravel (at least it has all gravel stages, I think) and takes two weeks.

American Adventure sounds like a very interesting event.

Steve McKelvie
2005 Targa Newfoundland Car #903

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is correct it is totally gravel..where as America Adventure event conditions go from mountains very technical/twisty roads of Treeline and then on to a desert roads of Las Vegas and you stay in Las Vegas for two days and enjoy the sites of down-town at night and another day of Las Vegas roads and then off to possible hillclimb then onward to Colorado Springs..and you particpate within a national series event being there Friday evening and Saturday run the event in the morning before the national event gets started and onward toward Yellowstone Park through Idaho where the roads are gravel and I think a hillclib in that one then you run the 1980's WRC roads of Olympus and then run roads in the mountains again with Trees this time and down to Reno, Nevada and some great gravel roads there...so you can see we have some really nice different types of road conditions....

No tarmac....

It is will be the third week of Septemeber of 2006...love to see you guys come down.....

Denise McMahon

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>It is will be the third week of Septemeber of 2006...love to
>see you guys come down.....
>
>Denise McMahon

Denise;

I think their point is that they'll be burned out from a week of Newfoundland tarmac by then... (and their employers might want to see them occasionally ;-))

It does sound fun, though...

Adrian

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Per David Sutton that has been a complaint in the past with the Historic Rally marathons.... but actually this event is somewhat shorter than your European Historic Rally's which some have finished in three weeks...so that was taken in consideration....even I need to get back to work after this event.

I have been told the North American teams entry fee will be around $16,000 dollars coverted from pounds per the event director.

I have suggested to David if some of you want to take on Targa Newfoundland and do American Adventure and really take the challenge between the two events we might give you somewhat a discount...we will talk about that more in about a month...Pat McMahon has suggested it and we will take a vote on it if we get anybody that wants to do both.....

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Per David Sutton. The USA/Canadian/Mexico entry fee has been fixed at 9,250 pounds or around $16,650 US dollars.

The entry fee DOES NOT include sea freight, air tickets, servce van and customs clearance charges.

The entry fee may be paid in installments begininning on the 1st July 2005 and ENDING on the 1st July 2006.

Just note you CAN pay your entry fees in installments.

One more note: Disregard what it says on the website. It has not been changed yet. He is working with the webmaster to get that changed soon.

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The decision has not been made on which ones yet per David Sutton...
Thank you for asking.....

We hope to have a solid accounting of which roads up in Washington/Oregon area in the next few months....

We will start from the Queen Mary and transit through on the freeway from Long BEach, Ca. and onward up to the Los Angeles mountains.

But we know for sure Treeline stage road will be the first stage and is being permitted to be used for next year if there is no fires near the road...

Las Vegas roads of Seed 9 rally will be the second stage from the transit of the Treeline Stage of Day 1.

Day 2 we will stay in the Las Vegas area for another day of nearby rallying....

Day 3 onward to Colorado

S this is bascially how we are starting out and more to follow....

We will be using Rally-America scoring and their truck with live updates each day if you can't make it out to watch or work or compete at this marathon rally.

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Like I said, we will be working on that area with John Forespring within the next few months......

Denise McMahon:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts