Special Stage Forums banner

2005 license change from SCCA

4K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  SeanKHotay 
#1 ·
I stumbled on this on the SCCA website. Talks to graduated licensing and car restrictions.

Does not appear to apply to co-drivers.

A bit long to cut and paste here.

http://www.scca.org/_Filelibrary/File/PRCB111504.pdf

I believe it will apply to us under RA. dch?

press on,

#2 ·
Jimmy,

I believe this is the SCCA bulletin that JB and Doug talked about on the RA forums that would restrict newbies to Grp 2 and Prod. SCCA did post this late last week. Agree it doen't apply to co-drivers and JB posted yesterday that there will be only one license for RA drivers and co-drivers together just like it was in 03 and before.

David Weiman
rallydave at pobox dot com

#7 ·
>Now I know I am running only NASA events next year.

Walter, just out of curiosity, why? This rule doesn't seem like it would affect you one way or the other, since you're a currently licensed competitor.

Given the number of WRXs coming off leases these days, it doesn't seem like a bad idea to me, but even if you disagree with the merits, why would it affect what series you race in?

Cheers,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

#8 ·
>Walter, just out of curiosity, why? This rule doesn't seem
>like it would affect you one way or the other, since you're
>a currently licensed competitor.
>

Actually we dont have SCCA performance rally licenses. While I have worked the 2 eastern US Prorallys as a volunteer in a number of roles, we never had the opportunity to run even a single club only event. Between the SCCA halting them last year and the issues cancelling GNW, BRS and MFRW there hasnt been an SCCA club event around here to enter since like '02.

So, with nothing but promises ("wait until next year") for events and increasingly stupid and complicated rules, the ClubRally looks to me to not be worth figuring out how to do for '05.

NASA has a couple events close by and doesnt seem to feel the need to fix things when there is no sign it is broken and I like that.

#9 ·
Think there is a bit of an overaction here. Until Jan 1, SCCA is the sanctioning body. RA has agreed to take over effective Jan 1 using the SCCA rules in place for 05. This change that was posted last week has been discussed here and on the RA Forums. It has been known that the PRB would publish this prior to giving up the program as they are just completing the rule book for 05 which RA will pick up.

RA can't do anything based on the agreement between RA and SCCA other than pick up the rules for 05, 06 and on may be a different story.

Just thought I'd clarify the situation before everyone decides to leave RA for 05. This is not a recommendation of one series over another. They both need to co-exist for the good of the sport unless or until there is a meeting of the minds between the two sanctioning bodies and we have one series here in the US or until CARS and one or both of the US bodies get together for a North American series.

David Weiman
rallydave at pobox dot com

#11 ·
>Actually we dont have SCCA performance rally licenses.

Got it. My guess is that if you can show NASA rally experience equivalent to the experience required to receive a non-provisional Rally-America license, you will be granted the RA license, as well. So from that perspective, I think you'll be able to run your car in any local Rally-America events as well.

Cheers,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

G
#12 ·
I skimmed over the Fasttrack info and the coeffecient requirements seemed roughly equivalent to what it took to get a person out of Seed 8.

I'm hopefully not the only person who thinks that the rule will create a rental pool of G2 or P cars that guys can rent for a few events while they are getting their open cars built up and actually get some experience with wadding up their shiny new Evo.

Given enough continual demand for entry level rentals, I am optimistically wondering if the barriers to entry actually decrease compared to the past?

I think it's fair to say their are some regional differences in how programs were implemented. I recall Walter or someone mentioning not wanting to drive 10 hours to an event and having a good chuckle as 10 hours, 100AW excepted, is the nearest event to me.

I view it as another cost of entry; we all have to decide what it's worth to us to participate.

I don't view the program as being a barrier to serious entrants. The number of in process cars being constructed seems to be fairly low. Additionally, the comittment required to construct, own, or maintain a race vehicle is high enough that I think a reasonable person would almost welcome a step that allows them to enter the sport without taking that leap (again, increased rental availability) while planning for their future in an intelligent manner.

#13 ·
I've seen G2 rental packages running in the mid $2000 - $3000 range for a 2-day weekend. How is that cheaper? LOL

In fact, it's so bad (or good, depending on your perspective) that I'm considering building and RENTING P and G2 cars for next season!!! LOL!!!

Scott
-------

#14 ·
now if someone were to have a car in progress does this 'waiver' apply? a 28mm restrictor would be fine, but to have to rent another car or fly across the country to a rally school is sort of a big chunk of cash some may not be ready for. i am curious as to why the SCCA is changing the rules las minute now that they have given up on the sport...

cody konda 88 323 GTX portland, ore ckonda(at)gmail(dot)com

#15 ·
>i am curious as to why the SCCA is changing the
>rules las minute now that they have given up on the sport...

If you read the PRB minutes published in the November Fastrack, you'll see that this was decided in September. Why the bulletin is dated as November is a bit of a mystery, though.

Adrian

#16 ·
I obviously don't get what the issue is here.
Everyone wanted FIA regulations and now that they are being in some areas implemented, people rebel.
I just don't get it.
In my so humble opinion,... "Drivers License" or "Competion License", if you're not capable driving in a respected manner, you lose it, well, after you receive a few repremendations. You have a history on your DL too.
We should keep in mind that we do represent a sporting community.

Whiplash RallyeSport

#17 ·
So how are they going to handle "celebrity" drivers who some how always seems to get a ProRally license when they want to race?

ie. Troy Lee, Travis Pastrana,...

These two didn't have any previous automobile racing experience that I am aware of.

I have nothing against these drivers. I say the more the merrier. They bring more exposure to our sport.

I just know that people will be complaining when exceptions are made, especially since the licensing requirments are becoming more restrictive.

#18 ·
>>i am curious as to why the SCCA is changing the
>>rules las minute now that they have given up on the sport...
>
>If you read the PRB minutes published in the November
>Fastrack, you'll see that this was decided in September. Why
>the bulletin is dated as November is a bit of a mystery,
>though.

Didn't this topic come up a month ago with more-or-less all of the details described then?

The changes were not in a form that could just be dropped into the rulebook initially. I would guess that the changes missed the cut-off for the 2005 book, so they are releasing it as a CB. It seems odd that SCCA would still be issuing CBs for a series that they have passed on to another organization.

alan

#19 ·
At least Travis went to Tim's school and did a Porsche Cup race (in addition to his motocross career.) I worry more about "celebrities" who look at it as purely PR and could care less about actually driving.

What about co-drivers? Should I call Ted Nugent back and let him know that he can't ride with me? :)

(Just kidding. I'll put an end to this before the rumor starts that I have hired Uncle Ted as co-driver. It's actually Bob Seger.)

#20 ·
Newbie drivers question that are still open

I have no issue w/ the graduated licensing thing (I'm running G2 & I'd love the feedback!) but I still have questinos:

1) Will newbie drivers get dinged twice for a provisional license, $75 first for the Novice license, and another $75 when we earn the 9 Coeffs in good standing to apply for the Provisional?

B) Will someone get hit thrice (3x) if want to run something other than G2 or P? I.E., $75 for Novice, $75 for restricted Provisional, & yet another $75 when they apply for a full ClubRally License so they can unplug the turbo?

III) Is there a time limit on the rally driver training being applied? I have a 3-day O'Neil course under my belt but that was back in January. Does that expire in Feb '05? Or Jan '06 (the earliest I might hit the 9 Coeffs mark)?

FORE!) Who's school qualifies as "...an approved SCCA** performance rally school", i.e., qualified rally driver training? I probably learned more @ "O'Neil's-on-ice" (as the course was glare ice last Jan) that I would've @ "Fred's Back 40".

I'd hope O'Neil's counts. I'll be back there but...

Do I have to haul off to Topeka, KS*** for rally driver training?

** I assume you can substitute "RallyAmerica" here
*** Topeka, KS = To peak @ Kans & as. ;)

#22 ·
RE: Newbie drivers question that are still open

>I have no issue w/ the graduated licensing thing (I'm
>running G2 & I'd love the feedback!) but I still have
>questinos:

Sean, I'm incorporating these rules into the 2005 RA rulebook today. I will post at end of day with my & JB's interpretations of the responses to your questions.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

#23 ·
RE: Newbie drivers question that are still open

Sean, here are the answers I know so far:

>1) Will newbie drivers get dinged twice for a provisional
>license, $75 first for the Novice license, and another $75
>when we earn the 9 Coeffs in good standing to apply for the
>Provisional?

No, the Novice, Provisional, and Full licenses will be one price. Once you pay for the Novice license, there will be no additional cost to upgrade. (If the path from Novice to Full license takes longer than 1 year, there will be a separate license cost for each year).

That should also answer B).

>III) Is there a time limit on the rally driver training
>being applied? I have a 3-day O'Neil course under my belt
>but that was back in January. Does that expire in Feb '05?
>Or Jan '06 (the earliest I might hit the 9 Coeffs mark)?

There isn't a defined schedule as yet. If you have shown consistent progress (ie no long layoffs), you should be able to apply your O'Neil education, but this will ultimately be up to Rally America review.

>FORE!) Who's school qualifies as "...an approved SCCA**
>performance rally school"

No definitive list yet, but the following schools would meet the criteria in my eye.

Team O'Neil Car Control Center and Rally School
Bill Gwynne Rally School
Forest Experience Rally School
Left Foot Braking (Pentti Airikkala)

Call Rally America or contact licensing (at) rally-america (dot) com if you have a question about a specific school.

I don't speak for Rally America, but I do speak with them,
- Christian

PS: I liked your numbering schema.

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

#24 ·
>(Just kidding. I'll put an end to this before the rumor
>starts that I have hired Uncle Ted as co-driver. It's
>actually Bob Seger.)

Is that because you are fast "like a rock"?

Sorry Lurch, I couldn't resist.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.