Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick update:

[ This is NOT an official SCCA announcement of any kind...]

The Rules committee is in the process of retrieving a writable electronic copy of the 2003 rules. I anticipate this to be complete today. (And email me if you ever need to un-write-protect a .pdf file.)

Once this is complete, we will re-apply the 19 pages of 2004 rules changes to this document. We're aiming for a completion of this by the beginning of next week. Add in some time for proofreading, and I now anticipate that we'll re-publish the 2004 rules electronically around 3/24 or so.

Thanks again to the rally community for your patience.

Thanks,
- Christian

PS: Yes, if I have anything to do with it, in the future the rules will be text copy/pasteable.

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Christian-

Thanks for the update.

Will the new version have the vertical sidebars to show that which is changed? (Please ?)

press on,

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>Quick update:
>
>[ This is NOT an official SCCA announcement of any kind...]
>
>>Thanks again to the rally community for your patience.
>
>Thanks,
>- Christian
>
>PS: Yes, if I have anything to do with it, in the future
>the rules will be text copy/pasteable.
>
>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>www.christianedstrom.com
What patience?:)
Why isn't this being done by one of those hundreds of paid people in Topeka? (Sorry Sue and Doug. No insult intended as you do the work of many)
Richard

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
>Why isn't this being done by one of those hundreds of paid
>people in Topeka? (Sorry Sue and Doug. No insult intended as
>you do the work of many)
>Richard

Ummm, perhaps the old saw "if you want something done right, do it yourself" is being applied here to ensure that version 2.0 comes out correct this time. ;)

Kent Gardam

Oh, and Christian, "attaboy"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Christan,

Thank you for the update on the rule status.

For the 2004 PDF file, please allow printing and copying from the file. Last year's PDF prohibited copying, so I could not copy a portion when I needed to quote a rule.

Thank you,

Paul

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>For the 2004 PDF file, please allow printing and copying
>from the file.

I want to, but can't guarantee that it'll be ok with everyone at SCCA. I'll check. I'll definitely lobby hard for it, though. Or just tell you the program I found for cracking that protection. Hint: llionoft. That's "ell-ell-eye-oh-enn..."

At minimum, I guarantee that the 2005 Rule Book will have it, along with a note that only an official, bound copy can be used for protests and inquiries (thank Bruce W for that suggestion!)

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
53 Posts
It is my hope that instead of re-printing the rule book...that you will be making the corrected version available on CD since that such a medium was not offered this year...right?

--tom'as--
AKA - Sancho - KEEPER OF THE AGED ONE & new member of "HALF-ASS" Racing Team

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>At minimum, I guarantee that the 2005 Rule Book will have
>it, along with a note that only an official, bound copy can
>be used for protests and inquiries (thank Bruce W for that
>suggestion!)
>
>- Christian
>
>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>www.christianedstrom.com

Thanks. That part makes complete sense. Quote and copy and paste to your hearts content. But for anything official, bring an official rule book
;-)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok....how about this. When can I expect my 2004 rule book with all those corrections marked with a bold verticle rule? And when can I expect to get the 2004 'corrected rule book' on CD?

Since there already have been at least three or more events completed....where is the new rule book? When can we expect to have it in our possession? Who is going to pay for those 'updates' which were made for 2004 compliance when we don't know for sure what they are? Sorry for all the questions....but this is not a great way to start a 'better listening' season for HQ. Never even crossed my mind to be concerned about reading or better yet 'proof reading'.

--tom'as--

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
While your frustration is understandable, you do have one fact wrong; Sno*Drift and 100AW were run under the prior year's rules as is our tradition. I can't recall exactly how DooWops was run, but as far as I've heard there were no rules related issues.

But seriously; threatening people with "when can I expect this" and "when can I expect that" doesn't solve anything.

The PRB and PRD took one on the chin for screwing up the published 2004 rule book and Christian Edstrom earned my respect for admitting as much. A mistake was made and an honest effort is being made to address it.

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
If you read the competitor bulletins, you will have a better understanding of what is going on and the general timeframe for the updated rulebook.

The first one is from Sue and is dated 11 Feb and it says that the 2003 rulebook will be used for Doo ****, Seed 9 Rallysprint and Oregon Trail. As JB noted, Sno*Drift and CRNC/Trespasser Wil/100AW traditionally run the previous year's rules. The second one is from Doug and is dated 4 Mar and it says, well actually, use particular sections from the 2004 rulebook and everything else from the 2003 rulebook (or something similar, I didn't read Doug's one that closely because he told me the gist of it before he issued it).

You really should be checking for competitor bulletins on a regular basis anyway. Important mid-season rule changes and clarifications come down through competitor bulletins.

I don't think the SCCA has a process for issuing a replacement rulebook mid-season. Is there a procedure for them to follow in this instance? I recall reading something about how the replacement rulebook would need to technically be some kind of really long competitor bulletin.

alan

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok....JB, my questions are nothing more than just that...questions. And I doubt that you do understand my frustration....let me clarify for you & anyone else that believes the same.... as a SCCA Club member are we not entitled to have rule books, with high lighted corrections, as promised, by the original dates indicated.....& if not..then when can we expect them & when do they become affective? That is the question....not a threat....just a question that needs to be answered & commitments met. Simple.

Last year there was a continuum of 'bulletins' which were little more than minutia...but issued none the less. There were continuously fragmented & latent corrections which sometimes appeared in the PRB minutes. And this year....more of the same? Please.... The promise was "better communication".....so far Christian is the only one doing it....where is his support?

Here is my point...I am in the process of building a car which was supposed to be to 2004 specs & yet...that may not be the case....so where is rule book? I am building from scratch....you?

And please...don't interrept my commentary as an attack on anyone person...that is rude. I am honored to know that someone like Christian Edstrom(a fellow club member) stood up for the error. But from what I see, he had absolutely no help from anyone on the PRB to proof his efforts before going to press. He is not to blame...nor do I blame him.

Finally, since you are speaking on behalf of the Central region...do you not see a problem with having the first several events running on the old rule book...since the new one is not ready yet? Why does not that trouble you?

--tom'as--

·
Registered
53 Posts
Alan,

Thanks for the insight. Apparently Steve Johnson was not able to get those 'critical bulletins' posted on the web page as promised. Thanks for your reminder that I should be more attentive to all bulletins.

And after reading Sue's bulletin, I understand that I have to be more patient & hope that the changes that have been made so far on our new car...will still be allowed for this year.

My apologies to those who have taken offense at my concern regarding promises kept...I guess I want for this to be better than possible. Peace.

--tom'as--

·
Registered
630 Posts
>The PRB and PRD took one on the chin for screwing up the
>published 2004 rule book and Christian Edstrom earned my
>respect for admitting as much. A mistake was made and an
>honest effort is being made to address it.

I commend you, Christian and the rest of the board for the openness. That is all I (and probably most others) ever wanted. This is a very welcome change, and I am glad I can honestly think "Hey, the PRB is working for me!".

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
Tom,
If I missunderstood your questions as threats, I am sorry.

While no one can really understand another's frustration, we all share frustration with what has become the reality of the 2004 rule book.

If you have specific car build questions, whether created by the errors of the new rule book or not, I recommend you call Doug Robinson at the SCCA or e-mail him with your questions. Doug's always very helpful and practical with his answers.

Communication by the PRB has been one of my frustrations. I think we have the solution in the works and I have a great deal of confidence that it will succeed because we're gonna do it ourselves (if we want something done right; we do it ourselves).

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts