Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

The 2003 edition of the Pacific Forest Rally in Merritt, BC Canada has brought togther one of the largest fields of late-historic (post-vintage?) Group "D" (as in Dinosaurs!) entries in recent times:

Peter Hill & Dave Sharp 1973 Toyota Corolla, 8th overall at Rocky Mtn!
Ted Wilkinson & Bill Westhead 1980 Toyota Corolla, last year's "near winners" (yes the fuel system is fixed!)
Glenn Wallace & Claire Chizma 1967 Ford Cortina GT, VERY nicely built.
David Ellis & Judd Gallagher 1977 VW Rabbit, again VERY nicely done.
Adam Scrivens & Jan-Micheal Stasiuk 1978 Datsun 510, two teenagers in a car older than they are!
Eric Grochowski & Leanne Junnila 1981 VW Rabbit GTI, recently rebuilt
Chad Manley & Blake Startup 1981 Toyota Celica, in the now infamous "Roach"

Catch the action live in Merritt, just 2.5 hours east of Vancouver via divided 4-lane toll hwy ($10 Cdn, $6 US), or follow the rally on-line. For those of you who can't make it up, I've posted some links here:

http://www.specialstage.com/forum/cgi-bin/DCForumID4/300.html

Cheers,

Bill Westhead
Media Liaison
Pacific Forest Rally
www.pacificforestrally.com

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The event was rougher than I expected and the attrition rate was high. Many of the Grp D cars finished (including ours, the oldest and pretty much slowest car!), where the modern cars died.

Our bent driveshaft was changed very quickly and cost us little stage time. The underbody damage from the BFR (Big F-ing Rock) will take some time to repair though!

Of the 3 events I've done, this was by far the most enjoyable!

Glenn

·
Registered
339 Posts
Quick question about Historic cars in Canada.....

I've got a 74' Dodge Colt with all of the correct C2 rally stuff.

However, the car does have an MSD ignition box in it.

IS THIS LEGAL or do you have to run the points from that era?

Brian "A distributor makes zero sense to me....let alone points."

Coil on plug with programmable ECU is all I know!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glenn: Please don't judge all the roads around Merritt by the Club Rally/Regional Rally at PFR. I admit that the spectator stage really sucks (it's been like that at two different events) and something needs to be done to the surface or we shouldn't use it again.

Meanwhile, you should've run the National, as we got to sample tow more great roads that the regional entrants missed! The best rally road in BC has got to be the Helmer Lake stage (at least when it's dry) and it's a 20km north-south road the parallels the Coqihalla (Hwy 5) as it climbs out of the Merritt valley.

There are also a couple of other great roads that you missed:

1./ The cancelled Lily Lake stage - ask Jamie/Subiegal about it sometime: wide, smooth and all 2nd and 3rd gear twisties with instructions every 100 to 200 meters. Also, I think Noah Third, Derek Bottles and Carey Wright have all run this stage when it was used in the Mtn Trials rally last fall.

2./ The Mab Lake extension of the Sheep Lake/SS2 stage is another fast and flowing series of sweepers, with a couple of 1km straights for fun. This was a section linked to the very rough Sheep Lake/SS2 stage we ran in the morning. It can be used without Sheep Lake as an extension of Nicola Lake/SS3, so the rough bits on Sheep Lake can be avoided if need be (just mention this in feedback to Paul).

Quite a few of those BFR's were pulled out by the ditch hooking, high horsepower brigade sweeping the road clear for the rest of us. Didn't you find the reverse run of Princeton Cut-off (stage 1) was way smoother than the first time through?

Meanwhile, come back up for Mtn Trials Rally in October and you'll probably get to run Helmer and/or Lily Lake, both are easily worth the price of admission.

Brian: Cdn "historic" class doesn't really exist. Out west we have Group D as a regional-only class, but the rules are very simple: "Vehicles manufactured more than 20 years ago" (no cut-off date that I'm aware of).

Our 1980 Toyota (owned by Ted Wilkinson) also has a modern MSD, so it doesn't run in full period trim anyways. Interestingly, Sylvain Erickson asked if Ted would sell his Toyota to him on Sunday morning after his DNF. I can imagine he heard the scream of our engine at full song while looking up from the ditch where he had just parked his EVO...4km from the finish while leading the rally.

Cheers,

Bill Westhead

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Oh, I know there are plenty of good roads up there..... just that the stages I ran were pretty rough in places.

Yes, I think the BFR was knocked out by one of those nasty turbocharged AWD cars.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
As noted above my experiance has been nice smooth roads in Merritt.

Swakum-Helmer is one of the best stages I have ever done - I think about equal with Brooklyn Tavern. The First South run at Mt Trails was one of my best drives ever in a rally car, the stage had a bit of everything.

I am not sure I agree that Lily Lake is wide but it is a blast we had cows and a rolled MR2 and a driver that could not belive the codrivers hairpin call on that stage a little of everything. Lily Lake also has my second fav. route book instruction something like 90 left w/bump at apex into tunel. (fav isntruction is doo ***'s "hard left into hairpin right onto wood plank bridge. Slippy!!!)

Let me tell you I amost cried when I exploded the clutch and pressure plate on the way to get the new car log booked Thur. night prior to Pac Forrest. I love rallying up there.

Anyway the car has a new clutch now and the extra time is not a bad thing - I should have the car testing this week.

20 years --- my car becomes historic very soon.

Derek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts