1,207 Posts
>Interesting...NASCAR's gonna take a whoopin'!...}>
>
>http://www.wrc.com/en_GB/News/NewsDetail/2002_RaceofChampions.htm
>
>CP
>Desert Storm Rally
>A2 Jetta #305

Jimmie Johnson has (I think) some fairly extensive desert racing experience, both in the desert and on stadium courses. I don't think he'll do too badly.

I'd like to think it's Robby going to Grand Canaria, but it probably really is Jeff... He probably has some dirt track experience back in the midget days so he might not do so badly against the Europeans with asphalt-only experience (and Jeff has demonstrated that he knows how to turn right on occasion).

Ben

·
Registered
768 Posts
RE: Who took whopping ? US rally drivers!

- What does it say about US rally drivers? They're not even asked to be part of Race of Champions! Pretty bad......
- Jimmy did stadium truck racing and hold his ground against Rod and Steve Millen, among others. He'll do fine and Jeff Gordon can drive anything.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

>- What does it say about US rally drivers? They're not even
>asked to be part of Race of Champions! Pretty bad......

It's not about fairness. It's about the best in the world from each motorsport competing against each other. It's about which motorsport produces the most skilled drivers among their best. It's about the best European drivers in Europe's most popular motorsports (F1 & Rally) against the best US drivers in its most popular motorsport. What US rally driver has won a world championship? That's why it's called "Race Of Champions", and not "Race Of Rally Drivers"...that would just be a rally. No US rally driver, Pro or otherwise, can come close in that company, as much as I hate to admit it.

CP
Desert Storm Rally
A2 Jetta #305

·
Registered
533 Posts
OK... The motocross guy I can understand, that's kinda specialized...

But two nascar drivers? One I can accept, Jeff Gordon, fine, he is a known champ.. How about CART? (please tell me its because of a schedule conflict)

What about Bill Auberlin? Boris Said? Tommy freakin Kendall even.... jeez...

I'm sorry, but that roster just tells me its not who is good, but who is good at bringing in the money...

JBLewis

·
Registered
151 Posts

What I want to know is if the European drives will also be issued a suitably "NASCAR"ish name for the event.

Let me explain: Ever notice how NASCAR drivers all have very easy-to-pronounce names? Just mix a first name like Billy, Jimmy or Johnny or Dale or Darrell or Donny, with any nice anglo-ized surname such as Johnson or Benson or Gordon or Stewart.

Viola! ......a name instantly pronouncable by any southern-fried good ol' boy announcer.

If we apply the NASCAR formula to the Euros:

Mika Hakkinen = Mikey Hawkins
Stig Blomquist = Stevey Bloomfield
Gilles Panizzi = Jimmy Parsons
Francois Delecour = Franky Delbert
Timo Salonen = Timmy Sanders
Hannu Mikkola = Hank Mitchell
:+

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Very good...touche! ('touch you' in NASCARese)

CP
Desert Storm Rally
A2 Jetta #305

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Isn't it always about the money? US NASCAR drivers are likely unknown to the rally loving Europeans...they'll be asking 'Who's that?', I'm sure.

CP
Desert Storm Rally
A2 Jetta #305

·
Registered
768 Posts
- Nobody's bringing any money except the organizers! All invited drivers get paid well plus a free trip, luxury hotel and other perks..
- In case someone doesn't know this is organized by charming Michele Mouton and her Swedish boy friend

1 - 10 of 10 Posts