Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am currently elbow deep in a 2002 2.5RS, and I have a couple of questions I was hoping some of you more knowledgeable folks could steer me through.

I have the interior and engine bay gutted, so long story short I have my main harness laying on the shop floor. I started with this pie in the sky idea that since I am plumbing out my ABS actuator, pulling all the Airbags & Airbag Control Modules, and head unit that I would remove the associated legs from the main harness.

I knew this was going to be a massive pain before I ever tore into the harness, but before I start down this long dark road:

• What is the general practice here from folks that have been this deep into their cars? Gut the main harness or do people just tape back the unused harness branches and tuck them out of the way?

• If you have removed the ABS/Airbag/Radio legs from a Subaru main harness, are there any of these that are going cause any Ignition Disable or No Start conditions?

• Also I can really find much in the way of write-ups on the subject, so are there any good information sources anyone can recommend?

Since the first question is always “well what are your plans for the car?” – rally-cross w/ stage rally pipedream, but either way I thoroughly enjoy the build side of it so I want to do a quality job up front and not just cobble something together as quick as possible.

Thank You

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess since there have been 200 views I can at least follow-up with what I have done so far...

So I got after it... I usually don't get overwhelmed when it comes to car projects, I am a mechanical engineer for an OEM by trade, so I have a little background in about every facet of automotive production. But I have to say there were a couple times when I first cut into the harness that I honestly thought about calling an audible and just taping it up and moving on.

Excuse the mess... between having the RS torn down to the body metal and all the junk I have in the shop on a day to day basis, my 30x30 shop turns into a single car garage pretty quick.

Tools I used to get through the tape, loom, and cut the legs.

I highly recommend making use of some latex gloves, because the 15 year old Japanese glue is brutal.

The engine bay leg of the main harness was really not too bad. Pretty simple lay out, and effectively you're removing everything that goes through the passenger fender well. Came out pretty clean. I removed the harness legs associated with Abs Controller, Airbag satellite sensors, and Cruise Control. I considered pulling the controls for the electric fans, horn and fog lights so I can wire them in to manual toggles on the dash, but I assessed the combi switch on the steering wheel and I believe that will be a much bigger under taking when it comes time to move the steering column control switch. I’ll figure that out when I get there.

Engine Room Harness after simplification, will finish taping a loom once the new loom arrives.

I was a little let down by how much of the interior harness I was actually able to remove. More or less it was just the removal of the Audio Controls Harness, More Air bag connections, and another cruise control leg. And it was much more tedious than the engine room harness because once the wires you need to pull go through this massive 1.5 inch thick wire bundle that routes through the white plastic guide channel, across the firewall and behind the HVAC blower, you are going after them blind.

Somewhat anxiety inducing

Interior/Firewall harness after simplification will finish taping a loom once the new loom arrives.

I am sure there are several other features that can be pulled from the harness but honestly after walking through the wiring diagram and the amount of relays that I was not entire sure about, I figured better safe than sorry. I think it cleaned up nicely and should be a bit easier to reinstall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts