Special Stage Forums banner

20 class limit

Tags
chca rules
6K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  DaveK 
#1 ·
so, this has been hashed out again and again, but there is currently a rule change in the chca ballot for a 20 competitor limit.

now, i read the rules, and the rally cars are classified as a class with no direct rule distinction between awd and 2wd. the first indication of the difference between the two is in 902.F but it doesn't distinguish the two specifically as a class. later in the rules at 903.A and 903.C it talks about payout being split between the two but no mention of either being a separate class.

now, the wording in the rule book is very vague (tell me what "competition" means per the new rule change by defining it out of the rule book) so it could be interpreted by someone as to mean that 20 cars is 20 cars. in the past 20 cars was clarified through our stewards to mean 20 cars in awd and 20 in 2wd. given that we don't have any stewards or something currently, i don't know how to enterpret this rule, but i personally would vote no on it unless we had something like a confirmation saying that the two were different like what we had last year.

anyways, next year i would love to clarify some of the things in the book (like how recce penalties for speeding are only specified in rally) but for now, just thought i would bring it to peoples attention.

don't forget, 2 weeks from tonight is the chca meeting.

See less See more
#7 ·
This rule is the least of concern. I'm more interested in the volunteer rule, neither the old or new one being good.

Old way. All the volunteer lists were generated early. I was assigned to bring a volunteer for Temple and Grand Junction. I did Temple, ran around with $20, couldn't find anyone to volunteer, went and worked scales myself. Then Ty and Troy came and relieved me once it was time to go. I wasn't at Grand Junction. Technically, by the way the rule is currently written, I should have owed $100 since I didn't supply a volunteer when I was supposed to, even though I was 1000 miles away in Oregon.

New way, if you can't supply a volunteer, you can pay $25 to hire one. However, it still states that if your volunteer doesn't show you still owe $100. Mark and Mike's concern was: you show up, don't have a volunteer, give the club $25 to hire a volunteer, then that volunteer doesn't show up, do you still owe $100? I would think by paying the club $25 to hire one, I've relieved my obligation, but it's not stated. They also said, What if there aren't volunteers to be hired. In my opinion then your right back to the current rule and you're trying to beg and bribe someone to work for you, or are working yourself.

My take, personally, I'd rather pay $25 extra and not have to worry about it and let my friends and crew that come go spectate, so I'm going to vote yes on the rule change. I think the what if's above aren't the intent and I like the option personally.

What about the gloves and helmet rule. Change from 'in motion' to 'in competition'. Is the intent to allow us to not have to wear all the gear coming down the hill as well, or to make us have to wear our gear anytime we are in the car the entire weekend?

Hey Todd, what's the hill climb forum link? I got a new computer and need to rebookmark it.

#10 ·
If you use the old ezboard link you can avoid the register.com ads at the bottom. The price we pay for a minimal charge on the site.

I agree for the most part on the volunteer rule. I do like the idea and I know the intentions are good. However...the simplistic way it is written and with no supporting doc it begs as many new questions as it answers. With plans to do a few events next year and Chris not being able to go I'd like to be able to pay $25 to cover my commitment. I have ZERO problem with that. But I'd be more than a bit upset if I had to pay a fine because the Club "didn't have enough volunteers" to handle it. On the other hand; if that $25 goes to the volunteer someone could bag $150 for the weekend if they wished so maybe that's the plan?

#19 ·
That's what I thought too, but I was assured at the meeting that these rules overrule every class rule...except for the Quads which have an exception in the last rule in Section 13. If more if you guys had showed up, we could've added the rally class to the quads in the exception.

In the end, I'm not sure what relavance these changes will have on the class...I'm just posting what went down.

Dave

#20 ·
Well alot of that stuff already existed in the rule book, such as metal seats, marked ignition switches, driveshaft retainers, flywheel scatter shields, padded steering wheel, etc.
I'm sure since you've now inquired and made it public they'll decide to start enforcing them. It's going to be weird for almost every one of us to try to abide by the suspension rules. Time to replace all that hardware with approved hardware.

The one about requiring positive return springs directly to the carburetor throttle arm will be especially difficult in rally cars, since maybe one or two have carburetors.

Honestly, if they enforced alot of this stuff, I wouldn't compete in hill climbs. I won't be at Temple probably so I guess I'll find out how that event goes for everyone.

#21 ·
Interesting. But really looking at all that it doesn't effect me to the same point I can see it doing you guys. To Dave's credit he's right; more of you should have gone to bolster your positions.

Things that effect you; belts, seats, quick release wheels....even SCCA passes 2" shoulder belts for the fit of a HANS which in many OW cars has a habit of slipping off of unless you do a 2" to prevent it. Steering wheel mods for many oem setups means a "hidden expense" and clearly a metal seat will need to be defined; how much metal constitutes a metal seat? A frame? Full bucket? No padding?

I think looking at that list the real issue was more the Top 5 vs Top 10 which was voted in last year in a highly questionable means by many non appropriate voters (i.e. confusing ballots and many in the general membership voting) and to that I think it's a wise choice. Clearly the writing of checks for sub $20 is all but foolish and personally I'd be embarrassed to take tenth place "prize check" for $6.87. But....everyone's feelings on such things are different so the past couple years ten dollar checks seem to be ok.

#22 ·
I kinda got dropped into this thing without a super clear understanding of things. I spoke with Sunny and Jason today and now feel I've got a better feel for whats going on. I think the general consensus is the clause in the rally rules exempts the class from most of these construction guidelines. Maybe next year we can get the rally class added to the exemption list in this section to make it a bit clearer in both sections.

Drivers/car owners - I'm going to send out an email this weekend regarding some open items for the rally class. Please keep an eye out in your inboxes for it.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.