Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Doug
I'm preparing some of my old photos to send to Eric Anderson's site and I have a couple of questions for you. In 1973, when the Rideau Lakes was being observed by the FIA, was the event titled The Rideau Lakes or was it called The Silver Lake Rally? I was almost sure it was The Silver Lake but I may be wrong. Also, in May of 1974 RCAC from Guelph organized a national event in Gravenhurst Ont. ( I believe it was the last TSD national ever held in Canada ) Would you remember the name of the event?

Thanks
Tom Hayston
www.performancerallyimages.com

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>1973, when the Rideau Lakes was being observed by the FIA,
>was the event titled The Rideau Lakes or was it called The
>Silver Lake Rally? I was almost sure it was The Silver Lake
>but I may be wrong. Also, in May of 1974 RCAC from Guelph
>organized a national event in Gravenhurst Ont. ( I believe
>it was the last TSD national ever held in Canada ) Would you
>remember the name of the event?

Tom:

Up to and including 1972 the event was named the Silver Lake Rally. The name changed to the Rally of the Rideau Lakes in 1973 when it was an FIA International rally and was observed for WRC status by Bo Hellberg who was Competition Manager for SAAB. In 1974, it was an WRC event.

It was called the Golden Triangle Rally and was won by Walter Boyce and myself. It is true that it was the last Canadian Championship Rally that was not a selective/stage event, but to call it a TSD event would give an entirely incorrect impression of what the rally was like. Think along the lines of a road race with very straightforward navigation using many of the roads that are now stages on the Tall Pines.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
555 Posts
Doug, I have another question that you may know the answer to; I have heard that there used to be a rally run on the bruce penninsula...Do you know when that was, and what roads, or at least areas it ran in?

Thanks!
John Vanos

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Doug

I was sure I was right with The Silver Lake Rally, but wasn't 100%. It was the first pro rally I attended. I didn't see a thing from the event as I was helping in service, but we could hear the cars and see the lights in the forests from the service area and that's what really got me hooked on the sport. As for the Golden Triangle, that just slipped my mind. I even have a photo of you and Walter.

John asked you a question about a rally on the Bruce, I myself was the routemaster for that event held in 1978. It was won by Tony Klosterman and to anyone thinking of going up to check out roads, don't bother. Cottages have taken over! This is also true on some old stage roads that I used in the 80 & 81 Muskoka Rally. Forest Tower Road, which was one of the nicest stage roads on the event is now like driving down the 401 only on gravel.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tom, Thanks for remembering that event.
That was quite a thrill for me oh so many years ago.
I remember a couple of stages in Particular. Dyers Bay which was incredible.
I remember myself and George Mitchell talking at the turn around and he suggested he could better my time by 15 seconds on the return run ( I had just won that stage) I remember distinctly being much faster on the return and George just shaking his head at the end not believing the time we posted.

The other stage was the last one right before service, I had dropped a plug wire a mile or so in and we stopped to reconnect it. I remember driving the remainder of that stage faster then I had driven any stage before in my life. I ended up 40 seconds slower then the fastest car on that stage. (take into consideration, driving, getting a misfire, slowing down, stopping, unlatch hood, locate source of problem, reattach hood, do up belts and get back to speed..) We were pretty wild and crazy those days.

Tony Kloosterman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts