Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
The block off plug on the front is a 25mm Samco Cap.
The radiator was from ebay, worley2013, 2 core aluminum radiator for Audi 80, 90 Quattro 42mm core.
I just picked up a logbooked 2wd golf in CA, shipping it to TN soon. Thanks for the inspiration.!

Will you keep a spare samco cap or will you have someone TIG the opening shut?

Nice job saving 11lbs on the front of a nose heavy car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am glad we can be an inspiration. Hope to see you on stage some time. If we did not rally an Audi it would be a VW. Audi and VW are the only two types of keys on my key ring.

We probably should get it welded shut, we have a spool gun for our welder just need some practice. We will keep a homemade plug as a backup for now. I can not believe that the factory radiator is so heavy.
factory radiator is so heavy because of brass density, and a calculation the factory made on how much heat they needed to transfer to the coolant/air. Aluminum is cool because per unit weight, it can transfer more heat than brass, but less per unit volume. So your 18 lbs brass radiator could transfer 10 generic units of heat, but your aluminum radiator that weighs 7lbs can only transfer 9 generic units, assuming the exact same design between both radiator materials.

EDIT: changed some verbiage

·
Registered
25 Posts
Kendal the rod looks bent also, is that normal with a bad rod bearing/low oil pressure? Do you know what caused the low oil pressure issue?

Best of luck to you at SOFR, i am going to try to get my car done in time but I might be volunteering instead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the fact that it was the #1 rod leads me to think the oil pressure problem started it all. Could the rod have been bent the whole time? i.e. did you ever have the rod out of the block before this/do a compression test?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts