Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aparently on Friday of 100 AW, (tresspassers will)
one of the competing cars were in transit. And were involved in a head on crash with a non competing car.
I believe that every one was ok, but the rally car was totaled.
The other car was a Grizwald family cruiser! and was ok.
There was a post on Neons.org with links to some pictures.
http://www.neons.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82240
But the links are now gone.
The shady area is that in the posts it says
that SCCA told them to remove the links.
and pull the pictures.
Does anyone else have any more information on this.
Not trying to cause more hate and discontent of SCCA
but why are they asking them to remove the pictures.
Do they have the right to do that.
Just would like more information, especially from
people that were there at the event, and might have better
information on what happend.

B~

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>The other car was a Grizwald family cruiser! and was ok.

Nope, the impact was so severe that the engine was displaced rearward into the wagon's firewall / dash / tunnel area. The driver of the wagon suffered a badly broken leg.

The accident was NOT on a transit, the rally had been over for several hours and the crew was on the way to their motel (same as us).

It was just a highway accident that happened to involve a rally car.

I don't see what can be gained by speculation / rumor about the incident.

I was at the scene, all I can add is:

1. Don't crash.
2. Always wear your seat belts.
3. I'm buying a Mercury wagon for my kids to drive.

·
Registered
339 Posts
In a rally car always wear ALL OF YOUR BELTS!

I have been very bad about this in the past. Finish a stage and off the shoulder belts go. After all I am hot and want the freedom of movement.

Starting on Saturday of 100AW myself and Dave made sure that the shoulder belts were on at all times while in the car.

Brian

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
>The accident was NOT on a transit, the rally had been over
>for several hours and the crew was on the way to their motel
>(same as us).

Please let me also emphasize this point. The rally was over, the car had passed through the final MTC. They were merely another car that just happed to have numbers on it.

>It was just a highway accident that happened to involve a
>rally car.
>
>I don't see what can be gained by speculation / rumor about
>the incident.

Exactly.

>I was at the scene, all I can add is:
>
>1. Don't crash.
>2. Always wear your seat belts.
>3. I'm buying a Mercury wagon for my kids to drive.

Amen Brother!!!

After surviving a very bad accident last year in a street car, I am fully aware of the life saving powers of the seat belt, even stock belts. I consider myself a decent driver and if I couldn't find a way out of my accident, it is very possible that you won't be able to find your way out of your accident. We think that because we are experienced "race" drivers that we can always avoid an accident. To a certain extent, that is true. I can not count the number of situations I have been able to escape and I attribute that to my abilities gained through my racing experience. However, there are situations that you won't be able to avoid. Belts are for those situations. Wear all your belts all the time. That way we get to enjoy your company at the next rally!

Mark Utecht

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike...
thats why I was asking for input from people that were there..
trying to get the facts..
Brian

G

·
I hate to sound remotely like a lawyer, but the driver/car owner/team members would be wise to control the information out there that may show negligence or culpability.

No one really knows what happened aside from the 3 people involved.

If the SCCA is expecting that their insurance will be involved in covering the personal injuries, they do have some interest in limiting statements that would appear to show their insured as being at fault. To me, this is the only reasonable justification for the organization censoring information.

I don't see much harm in posting pictures, but any additional commentary could prove problematic. The best solution is for someone not associated with the incident to post the pictures, and for anyone directly involved to not comment on what may or may not have happened until things are resolved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts