Where to buy 'Ginger pills' ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy 'Ginger pills' ?

into right 2 tightens

Default Where to buy 'Ginger pills' ?

So on Mythbusters last night, they were trying all sorts of homeopathic remedies for sea sickness. None of them worked, except for 'ginger pills' which in their subjective testing actually worked better than the pharmaceutical remedy they tried as a control. They didn't show which particluar pharmaceutical remedy they used as a control, but from the cylindrical capsule, it looked like Dramamine. In addition, the 'ginger pills' didn't seems to cause the drowsiness and other side effects that some of the pharmaceutical remedies exhibit.

I knew chewing ginger supposedly hepled motion sickness, but didn't realize that it could be bought in pill form, was that effective, and didn't cause any noticeable side effects.

So, has anybody tried these ? And where can I buy them ? Any regular pharmacy, or do I have to try and find some kind of special homeopathic store ? And if anyone knows of a location in th San Diego area, or will have some at the Laughlin Rally this weekend, I'd definitely like to try them !!

================================================== ===========================

Web site : www.SoCalRally.com
    Sponsors : www.VwSpecialties.com www.Parts4VWs.com

Rally - I don't need no stinkin' epi pen to get my adrenalin rush !!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Default RE: Where to buy 'Ginger pills' ?

Yeah, I saw that a few weeks ago too...quite astounding. Sorry I can't help on where to find them though! (I don't get motion sickness, so I havent been lookin)

Thanks,
    Alex

200 square left

I don't have a problem with motion sickness either but I went through a period when I thought that I should take something anyway as an ounce of prevention. During that period I bought some ginger root pills (actually they were capsul form) either at our local CVS store or in the vitamins area at Wally Mart. As I recall, they were supposed to be slow acting so for a weekend rally, you would start to take them on the previous Wednesday or so. I can not comment on their usefulness.

Steve McKelvie
    Itinerent Co-Driver

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 4

Kristen Tabor swears by them and I don't think you can take too much either.
    Definitely worth a shot if you have problems.
    ;)

>So on Mythbusters last night, .....

As a sidenote, the Mythbusters were on my plane on my trip back from some rally this year. They were doing partial episode in DC, forget if was about the Treasury or one of the national monuments.

I used the Transderm? patch a year of codriving and learned I did not need. Haven't been sick yet.
    Dave Shindle/Navitron 2000

into right 2 tightens

Yeah, I typically don't get motion sick either - I can read on car journeys for hours without getting a headache or feeling sick etc. I have still however been taking one non-drowsy formula Dramamine at the beginning of each rally day as a preventative measure. Even with the less drowsy formula, I end up feeling kind of zoned out especially towards the end of the day - though that could be mainly a result of tiredness, adrenalin withdrawal etc.

A couple of times we we only had a couple of stages that day, I skipped taking it and was okay, so I may not need it at all. Just thought that if I continue to take something as a preventative measure (maybe I'll start taking something only on stages known to be bad for motion sickness), that it would be better to take something homeopathic with minimal if any side effects.

================================================== ===========================

Web site : www.SoCalRally.com
    Sponsors : www.VwSpecialties.com www.Parts4VWs.com

Rally - I don't need no stinkin' epi pen to get my adrenalin rush !!

tried ginger capsules, did'nt work for me. tried dramamine and it rocked, even seemed to help me deal with heat a bit better. test them out before and event and see whats best, don't use rally time to experiment.

I've gotten ginger capsules at the health food store. The best over-the-counter remedy I've found is available in Canada. Gravol is the brand, and I like the ginger lozenges. I swear by Scopalamine (patch), but every person is different.

Good luck!

Kathryn Hansen
    co-driver
    Fast 'N Loose Racing
    www.motorpride.com/fastnlooseracing

codriveur

I use ginger every race, before and during. (Too much chilli @ Maine Winter) Works for me. Can be bought @ any healthfood store.

Bernie

If the Ginger does not work for you, I highly recommend Scopalamine (the patch). I tried Dramamine and other natural remedies, with no success. I had bad motion sickness, and thought I would have to quite co-driving. The patch has kept me in the car, and my stomach in check. The only side effect I get is a dry mouth. Which is not a bad thing, as it makes you drink plenty of water. To get the patch I just had do make a simple phone call to my doc. Explain why I needed it, and he phoned in a prescription.

Jason Takkunen
    www.sisurallysports.com