Special Stage Forums banner

Help with checklist for my first rally

43K views 47 replies 27 participants last post by  LBkamp 
#1 ·
Anyone want to help me out as a newb co-driver with a checklist for my first rally? It looks like I've got a ride with cambarally in an AE86.

I've worked timing and controls at Prescott and Ramada and attended the CRS co-driving school this past February. I'm ordering my suit and helmet probably later this week or sometime next week. I've already got a set of mechanics gloves for working on the car. What else am I going to need, and do you have any suggestions on suits and helmets. I'm planning on getting the Peltor G77 from P-Sports for a helmet, but really don't know what I'm looking for in terms of suits and underwear, or what is actually required in terms of layers. Will I also need some kind of nomex gloves and driving shoes?

TIA
Shea

#27 ·
If you don't have a headliner, you can write the odo factors right on the ceiling. 2B lead works well for that. And when you play in a Subaru, you just need to know two factors: 3.9 final drive and 4.4 final drive. We pretty much always run 17/65 tires.

You've got a point about the gas cans.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

#28 ·
atta boy, RallyBrat

Alex-

You continue to impress. Keep it up.

Now, about all those "excused" absences you had from high school...

>Not everyone
>has Vermont SportsCar to write on duct tape for them ;-)
>
>Later,
>Alex

press on,

#30 ·
RE: atta boy, RallyBrat

Hmmm, I suppose the statute of limitations ran out long ago so I guess that I can admit that one time when I was servicing for friends at Happiness is Sunrise and I had to leave work early to meet up for the ride to the event, I used the excuse that I had an "appointment with a doctor". The co-driver did in fact happen to have his doctorate in Physics.

Kent

#31 ·
>Anyone want to help me out as a newb co-driver with a
>checklist for my first rally?

A little while ago I created a web-based slideshow (specifically for Newbie Co-Drivers) that can also be printed out as class handouts - tell me what you think...

http://www.fyrhstrm.com/codrivers

(currently it displays best with 1024x768 resolution, but some items may be cut off on-screen but print just fine)

#35 ·
RE: Here's a checklist

>This is a great topic! Surprisingly, we haven't seen many
>actual checklists posted.

I'm switching it up at Oregon, in an effort to save some weight.

I am going to put the flashlight, rule book, and tire gauge in the glove compartment, and I'm sitting on the routebook on stage. And I'm bringing one 2mm leadholder.

Everything else, I'm leaving in the hotel room. And no co-driver bag.

Will let you know how minimally-equipped co-driving goes.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

#40 ·
So, after reading Rob's tutorial for the umpteenth time, and trying to remember what countless folks have told me in the past, I was wondering if anyone has ever consumed Kava Kava root for their nerves before the rally. Luckily my first experience will be with a good friend who is very casual, yet we have our goals for our first outing together. I like the idea of tagging pages in the routebook, and editing the notes for better speech of the notes. I have used notes in the past as a volunteer to navigate stages, and assisted as a codriver with the chief of controls, but am still quite anxious to just get shakedown over to get out the "nerves." If anyone here who has done Sandblast in the past has any specific cautions or suggestions for this rally, please speak up, as I definitely want my first time to be memorable in a good sense for everyone involved:)

-Jonathan

#41 ·
So, after reading Rob's tutorial for the umpteenth time, and trying to remember what countless folks have told me in the past, I was wondering if anyone has ever consumed Kava Kava root for their nerves before the rally.
Never even heard of it before, myself. At rallies, I'm usually dosed on scopolamine, so I personally to stay away from any sort of medications or herbal remedies for fear of weird interactions. I don't know if I'm being overly cautious or not, but I figure better safe than sorry.

Luckily my first experience will be with a good friend who is very casual, yet we have our goals for our first outing together. I like the idea of tagging pages in the routebook, and editing the notes for better speech of the notes. I have used notes in the past as a volunteer to navigate stages, and assisted as a codriver with the chief of controls, but am still quite anxious to just get shakedown over to get out the "nerves." If anyone here who has done Sandblast in the past has any specific cautions or suggestions for this rally, please speak up, as I definitely want my first time to be memorable in a good sense for everyone involved:)
I've done Sandblast twice, but I'm not sure what to say.

My first year, we DNF'd when we burnt out the clutch trying to get un-stuck on Sandtrap, so I guess my main advice would be not to do that. :D

Try to carry speed to get through the loose stuff, especially on the uphills.

Oh... and since this is your first rally as a co-driver, pick up some large ziploc freezer bags and tuck one away somewhere you can reach while you're belted in. Your stomach might be like a rock, but you won't really know for sure until you've tried a few stages. But better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them, right? ;)

Seriously, though, don't worry about things too much - I'm sure you'll do fine.

#44 ·
Everyone provided me with great information from which to form my decisions. I have a special set of recognitions that go out to the following co drivers:

Aaron Cresenti, Jeremy Wimpey, Will, Brian Oneal and Jerrod. You guys helped inform, and partially form a newly converted co driver:) Think of me as your Chubacca to you as Hans solo:)

-Jonathan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.