Importing Rally Cars to the US

Thread: Importing Rally Cars to the US

Default Importing Rally Cars to the US

Hi just reaching out to see if anyone has information on how to import a rally car to the states from Canada? I read online that you need to fill out forms such as the HS7 but that only permits temporary use. Iíd like to permanently import the car to the US. Would filing it under the HS8 work or does that only permit track only use? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Rally, my drug of choice. mellow65's Avatar

So I have been researching the crap out of this lately. I'm sure you have found information about the 25 year rule. Older than that, pretty easy. Newer than that, not so easy. Not impossible, just more work.

The basics of it, if you can contact the manufacture and get them to check and see if the car met US crash and emissions, it SHOULD be as easy as a filling out some forms and taking that letter. If the car doesn't meet those standards, it's a whole bigger mess and probably not worth it.

Mind you, I have not done this yet, nor talked to anyone that has done this either. And I haven't gotten to the level of trying to call anyone at the US customs. I'm not sure if they will give advice, but it may be worth trying.

But this site gives some good information, websites, and those forms.

https://www.snowbirdadvisor.ca/how-p...-car-us-canada

If you do figure out something, I would love to know what you find!!
    G2 Mazdaru?!?!?! Build Thread

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"

200 square left

Quote Originally Posted by mellow65 View Post
    So I have been researching the crap out of this lately. I'm sure you have found information about the 25 year rule. Older than that, pretty easy. Newer than that, not so easy. Not impossible, just more work.

The basics of it, if you can contact the manufacture and get them to check and see if the car met US crash and emissions, it SHOULD be as easy as a filling out some forms and taking that letter. If the car doesn't meet those standards, it's a whole bigger mess and probably not worth it.

Mind you, I have not done this yet, nor talked to anyone that has done this either. And I haven't gotten to the level of trying to call anyone at the US customs. I'm not sure if they will give advice, but it may be worth trying.

Good info thanks!
    .................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Default Importing Rally Cars to the US

Quote Originally Posted by mellow65 View Post

Thanks for your help! Iíve been into this process since posting about it and so far Iíve gotten pretty far. So I figured out that once you find a car, you need to have either:

1- Proof the car passes US crash and emissions standards (usually a sticker or label on the driver door stating that it does).

2- A note from the manufacturer stating that the vehicle passes the crash and emissions ratings for the US. (If it doesnít then it probably isnít worth it, so my findings have found, but I may be wrong)

I am at situation number two right now but with the current Covid-19 fears I may not be able to get the car across the border if the whole kerfuffle with the manufacturer thing pans out. Iíll keep you updated and hopefully youíll see a rad new Soob on the rally stages this coming year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suggest you go to North America rally group on Facebook and ask there. SpecialStage is about dead with mit if not all experienced performance rally people on this group. Plenty of peop ok e who have imported cars are there. Good luck
    Dave Weiman
    rallydave at pobox dot com

Don't. Just don't.
    We purchased a 2004 WRX two seasons ago from a seller in BC and spent the next 6 months attempting to import the vehicle. I went as high as the head of NTSB and they were super helpful until I went for the sign off from the emissions people; no go. I could import the car for one year, only drive it offroad (no transit) and then after one year they would crush the car.
    The door cards did not match the block (big surprise) and there was a recall on the vehicle regarding airbags. If we reinstalled the airbags and then had them certified that at least got that hurdle out of the way. Still needed to crush the car.
    We finally turned and sold the car to a Canadian and took a bath on the sale.

100 K left 2

^ damn.

200 square left

Yeah-that's a bad time...
    .................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php

It's true that it's much easier for older cars, I've got an acquaintance who imported an old Soviet made UAZ-469 and it was easier due to the age of the vehicle. Expensive (it was shipped all the way from Hungary), but the only hard part was earning the money beforehand!