Special Stage Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buying Canadian Rally Cars?

4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Alex 
#1 ·
Hello group, hoping for some advice - are there any disadvantages of buying a rally car in Canada and bringing it permanently into the US? Is it difficult to register a Canadian car in the US? Are there import costs involved? Can you compete with a CARS logbook or does the car need to get a new logbook?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

#2 ·
I'm Canadian and sold my 2000 GC8 two or three years ago to a guy from Oregon
He came with a truck and a trailer to pick it up . Crossing the border was a breeze and so was the registration in the States.
His name is well known but I won't mention it here (privacy reason, You know LOL)
Anyway he successfully run it for couple years and recently sold it to some one else in the US because started building a new rally car himself.
And as far as I know CARS logbook is accepted/tolerated by ARA.
Importation of new(er) car can be a bit more complicated because there are more requirements to be met but still doable
I think it's easier/simpler to "lease" a car while paying in full still keeping Canadian registration.
And vice versa: I know a guy from Alberta who "leased" EVO 8 from the US because technically one can't import EVO 8
but that's what he did and run it for a few years here while having it registered in the US ))
PS. I was selling my 2018 WRX stage rally car here on Specialstage for ridiculously low price and had lots of inquiries from Americans
but every one was concerned about importation. After a while I sold it locally here in Vancouver, BC.
...just my two cents )

#3 ·
Thanks so much for the info Alex, really appreciate your experience in this area. If there is a way to get in touch with the gentleman who bought your car I would love to get his direct advice on his experience and what he had to do to go through the process.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.