Jdm or rebuild?

Thread: Jdm or rebuild?

Default Jdm or rebuild?

I have an ej205 from a 2004 wrx with a rod knock. It's going in a rally car project at stock-ish power level.

A jdm engine appears to be about the same cost as a diy rebuild. Any advice on which way to go? I've done a lot of engine work before, that part is no big deal. I could put better rods and forged pistons in it while I'm there. Obviously JDM is easier. The tune is not an issue, I have ways to handle that. The rest of the engine looks good.

I have plenty to do on the car without getting into all this work, but I feel like I'll end up refreshing a long block no matter what after a while. Maybe better to just start with something fresh.

Advice, observations, random heckling?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K left 2

Will have to do some wiring merging and such as well, it's not plug and play with tuning only.

In almost the same situation with 2005 Saabaru ej205 rod knock only difference is not destin for rally build wife is just tired or my other impreza falling apart and me not swapping or fixing the Sabbaru.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bue car View Post
    Will have to do some wiring merging and such as well, it's not plug and play with tuning only.
    I think I'm gonna megasquirt it. That's what I usually do, haven't done a Subaru yet though.

And it's in a 72 beetle, lots of things are custom. I'd basically be using a jdm long block.