Special Stage Forums banner

Transit with no helmet and roll bars?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  rallyxr4ti 
#1 ·
Hello all. I’m currently building my car and will be registering it for the road soon which I’m thinking of cruising around a bit for fun. That lead me to think about safety of having a roll cage but driving around without a helmet. Is it risky? What pre cautions do rally drivers take on transits? Is there a recommended head to bar clearance?

I’ve haven’t competed in a rally but I’m planning to sometime in late 2020 with a mustang in the California series

#2 ·
I will let someone with stage rally experience answer your question, as I have only done rallyx.

But I just read your other threads.

Did you find proper stage rally suspension for this car yet?

Or are you going to just run rallyx events on your Bilstein hd’s for now?

So as far as stage rally, you plan to run the CRS championship?

#3 ·
Haven’t found a suspension setup suitable for stage rally yet. For Rallycross I have a Bilstein HD struts, Gt500 springs and top mounts. I’m planning on running the Nevada rally event in 2021, high desert trails, Gorman, and possibly Prescott. Pretty much most of CRS besides the Colorado event

#5 ·
Build with some clearance if you can. Most people don't worry to much about it. As others have said the bars should be padded.

I have similar worries with the car I'm building now as I would like to drive it around quite a bit. I think you can legally wear a helmet if you wanted to. I'll probably just keep the belts tight and use the best padding I can find. The highest risk is usually the bars at the top of the doors.

I suppose Halo seats are better for this sort of concern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.