Hello from Nevada. Questions about stage rally

Thread: Hello from Nevada. Questions about stage rally

Default Hello from Nevada. Questions about stage rally

Hello I'm interested in selling/ trading my mustang GT for a stage rally built car and get into rallycross first then move into stage rally. Seen here -
    https://www.specialstage.com/forums/...uilt-Drift-Car

I've volunteered a stage rally event in the past, the Tri State Rally in mesquite Nevada in 2016. Only 4 cars turned out but it was cool to check it out. My question is how does the logistics of stage rally work from a teams perspective? other than a driver and a co driver is it needed to have someone drive a "chase truck" to service the cars? Or is it possible for just a driver and co driver to unload the car, drive the stages, and drive back to a pre setup service area? It'll probably be me and a friend, maybe I can get one more if needed but I would like to keep it simple as possible.

I am mostly interested in Rallycross and stage events with the California rally club, I think that's the closest events to me.

Any insights/advice is much appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I'm east coast, maybe things are different where you're at. You need at least another person to set up the service area and be there when you service. Sometimes you can't get into service to set up ahead of time or put it away at the end of the day.

If you can get a couple service crew it's nice. The time goes by fast, and you'll both have things you want to do that's not working on the car. Also it's common for the codriver to feel bad from car sickness.

Also, so many folks show up in cars that are questionable for reliability or just haven't been driven much lately. Sort your rally car out well before the event and you won't have as much thrashing to do in service.

Thanks for the information! So at rallies it’s common to have a pit setup where ever a stage ends at for service. I was hoping that it would be possible to pull the car off the trailer at the service area then drive to the stage. Race. Then drive back to the trailer to work on it

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Evans View Post
    Thanks for the information! So at rallies itís common to have a pit setup where ever a stage ends at for service. I was hoping that it would be possible to pull the car off the trailer at the service area then drive to the stage. Race. Then drive back to the trailer to work on it
    Here, it's usually a couple of services throughout the day all in the same place. But after racing the finish is a town or two away from service and you're required to leave the car at finish for a while during the awards dinner. So at midnight you might be able to go back to service, which is often locked up by then. Not to mention you're tired and everyone else is hanging out together and telling stories from the day. Bike guys do manage to do it with a little team work and planning though.

Find the rally guide for an event you're interested in and check out the details.

It's usually not that hard to find someone to go along as crew at least to get the stuff moved around as needed.

Okay I can see how it works a bit more now. What about mechanical failures? Say my car breaks down on or off a stage, are there service vehicles events provide for us to contact for a tow back? Or is everyone on there own?

Okay I can see how it works a bit more now. What about mechanical failures? Say my car breaks down on or off a stage, are there service vehicles events provide for us to contact for a tow back? Or is everyone on there own?
    That's when you call your crew.

Heavy sweep might drag you off stage to the nearest intersection of the stage is run again later, but they don't have much time for that if you're not ready to go as they pass.

Volunteer at a rally, you'll learn a lot about these things and get to talk to all the course car people at the after party.

Or is it possible for just a driver and co driver to unload the car, drive the stages, and drive back to a pre setup service area? It'll probably be me and a friend, maybe I can get one more if needed but I would like to keep it simple as possible.
    it is quite doable when You're a budget team and in the beginning and if You (or both of You) know how to turn wrenches,
    You're not going to swap transmission during service anyway and pretty sure You can replace bent strut if happens to bend it
    and changing tires takes only a few minutes.
    years ago my trainer used to say "cars don't break down, drivers break them"
    in the beginning just drive to learn, have fun and finish. And If You just finish, You won't be at the bottom at the "results" list