Where is everyone? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where is everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Every year at least half the field are new drivers, often in new builds, and we never see them again.
    By age I would be considered a "geezer."

I have lived the rally "lifestyle" so to speak for years. From humble beginnings to more, off for a bit for college, back in, off for a bit while road racing and back in until I finally packed it in 40 years after the first rally.

What I find interesting is that people believe they want to go rallying, then give it up in a year or three at most. It is really not that hard, although it takes some dedication and focus. Perhaps that dedication and focus is missing?

How do people get interested in rallying anyway? Video games? Perhaps too, video games are misrepresenting the real life.

The thrill of barrelling down a stage road is real, and addictive for a very few. Most find other, more easy or less challenging things to excel at.

Remember, there are only 15% of humans that lead, and 85% that just go with the flow, are complacent and follow. Rally is for the 15%.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    By age I would be considered a "geezer."

I have lived the rally "lifestyle" so to speak for years. From humble beginnings to more, off for a bit for college, back in, off for a bit while road racing and back in until I finally packed it in 40 years after the first rally.

What I find interesting is that people believe they want to go rallying, then give it up in a year or three at most. It is really not that hard, although it takes some dedication and focus. Perhaps that dedication and focus is missing?

How do people get interested in rallying anyway? Video games? Perhaps too, video games are misrepresenting the real life.

The thrill of barrelling down a stage road is real, and addictive for a very few. Most find other, more easy or less challenging things to excel at.

Remember, there are only 15% of humans that lead, and 85% that just go with the flow, are complacent and follow. Rally is for the 15%.
    I agree.

I just find it surprising that the 85% get through the barrier to entry for rally and then after all that effort give up.

Long time volunteer and enthusiast, first time rallyer TBD. So far what is preventing me from racing is the logbooked car I have does not meet requirements, since the cage is not current. Distance to an event: I have to drive over 4 hours to the closest one, and 8+ to the rallies on my bucket list. The money associated with gas, lodging, prep, damage, entry fees; lack of resources for recce, lack of time for recce, and so on. These are major hurdles in my limited view of what will be required to enter one race. And I might suck at it, I might be last, I might not finish, I might not be able to sell the car afterward. So much risk for what? to experience a dream? I sure hope so, but other might not come back from that experience. Southern California seems to have it figured out. 5+ rallies within 2-3 hours of them? sign me up, except I would have to move my family and my career. Not sure if any of this helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

200 square left

Quote Originally Posted by FRANK G. View Post
    Long time volunteer and enthusiast, first time rallyer TBD. So far what is preventing me from racing is the logbooked car I have does not meet requirements, since the cage is not current. Distance to an event: I have to drive over 4 hours to the closest one, and 8+ to the rallies on my bucket list. The money associated with gas, lodging, prep, damage, entry fees; lack of resources for recce, lack of time for recce, and so on. These are major hurdles in my limited view of what will be required to enter one race. And I might suck at it, I might be last, I might not finish, I might not be able to sell the car afterward. So much risk for what? to experience a dream? I sure hope so, but other might not come back from that experience. Southern California seems to have it figured out. 5+ rallies within 2-3 hours of them? sign me up, except I would have to move my family and my career. Not sure if any of this helps.
    Yes it’s not a poor man’s sport.
    If you can afford it...then yes -it has all those risks you mentioned.

But I noticed many people buy or build a car race a rally or two then you never hear from them again so...

You have to make the decision yourself do I want to do this or not?

And yes this forum is dead and so are the other two American rally source forums- rallyanarchy.com and dirally.com

But I still encourage you to sign up at the other two forums I just mentioned and post.

Also you can search old posts there’s a lot of information there.

Especially at RallyAnarchy Which always was a way better site than this one from the beginning.

You might have to skip through some pretty serious bickering threads there..although sometimes I do find it entertaining.....but lots of good info there anyway.
    Last edited by rallyxr4ti; 05-15-2019 at 09:55 PM.

100 K left 2

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Which begs the eternal rally question, where do they all go?

I've been actively involved in a couple rallies since 2011. Every year at least half the field are new drivers, often in new builds, and we never see them again.
    I think its a safe bet everyone is using groups on facebook which is a real shame because Special Stage was and still is a place where everything and region is brought together.
    This place was a vibrant healthy forum for discussion but now its a ghost town and facebook still seems like a cheap substitute :/

200 square left

Facebook is garbage.

Old-school forums like this one may be dinosaurs, but the layout and presentation is just so much better.

100 K left 2

^ This

Never had a FB