Aircooled VW Rally Build?

Thread: Aircooled VW Rally Build?

Default Aircooled VW Rally Build?

Hi,

I have an old air-cooled VW Fastback that runs, but whose body has quite a bit of rust. It isn't worth trying to remove all the rust and turn the car into something nice. So, I'm thinking that it might be really fun to convert it into a rally car. Does anyone here have any experience doing that? I know lots of people have done Baja Beetle conversions, but I don't know how similar it would be to trying to get my Fastback rally-ready (or if that's even possible).

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dayunbao View Post
    Hi,

I have an old air-cooled VW Fastback that runs, but whose body has quite a bit of rust. It isn't worth trying to remove all the rust and turn the car into something nice. So, I'm thinking that it might be really fun to convert it into a rally car. Does anyone here have any experience doing that? I know lots of people have done Baja Beetle conversions, but I don't know how similar it would be to trying to get my Fastback rally-ready (or if that's even possible).
    Well, anything is possible with time and money! For rally you'll want a car that is structurally sound (not rusty in chassis/unibody area). I guess you just have to decide if you want to put the money/time into your Fastback or another car which is a better start platform. Seems like you have the aircooled knowledge. Hope you decide to get after it and build something!

I'm building a 72 beetle now.
    You want to start with a solid shell though.
    A rally car takes a significant investment in time and money to build. The initial car is a minor cost really, so make sure it's what you want to build.

They make fun rally cars, the engines take some prep to last at any respectable horsepower. In the US, they can be competitive if you drive well enough. They're not as easy or forgiving as a more modern fwd platform
    Perry

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    I'm building a 72 beetle now.
    You want to start with a solid shell though.
    A rally car takes a significant investment in time and money to build. The initial car is a minor cost really, so make sure it's what you want to build.

They make fun rally cars, the engines take some prep to last at any respectable horsepower. In the US, they can be competitive if you drive well enough. They're not as easy or forgiving as a more modern fwd platform
    Perry

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    +1

100 K right 2

Start with a type 4 bus motor or a 914 2.0 with the Porsche transmission as your starting point, and reliability issues will be much less with a stronger torque band across the entire rev range. Over two decades ago, when I converted my 914 to a 914-6, it was actually worse at Auto-X, even though it became much better as a track car. It ended up going from dual duty to strictly a track toy. Good luck with the build.
    Because Racecar...

The first rule of Racecar, is that we do not talk about Racecar.

"Absolutely Not! No. Rally racing is a back alley sport, filled with jackals, headhunters, and thugs." - Pops Racer.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielSL View Post
    Start with a type 4 bus motor or a 914 2.0 with the Porsche transmission as your starting point, and reliability issues will be much less with a stronger torque band across the entire rev range. Over two decades ago, when I converted my 914 to a 914-6, it was actually worse at Auto-X, even though it became much better as a track car. It ended up going from dual duty to strictly a track toy. Good luck with the build.
    I didn't mention it before, but my build is now being converted to WRX power with a Subaru transaxle.
    I have a built efi turbo intercooled type 1 engine that is great in a street car and rallycross, but talking to others who have rallied them I don't think it'll last long on the stages.
    The other options you mentioned might be great but are expensive to put together and maintain now days. With stock Subaru parts it's more power for less money and should be reliable. Plus everyone has Subaru spares at any rally..