New kid here, want to get into rallying in the future - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New kid here, want to get into rallying in the future

Default RE: New kid here, want to get into rallying in the future

Rallying takes $$$$ and if your inventive and find ways to get it you will be sucsessful. TREAT RALLYING LIKE A BUSINESS. Sponsorship is a privilege not a right. I have managed not to pay for any of my races because of being smart and finding sponsors. First you need to get to rally school. See if you have the potiential or even like racing in rally. Second save up some money and get a car. Alot of people say golfs.... but I think a 2.5rs is a perfect starter car. Low 165 HP/ My rs weighs 3100 pounds/ Open front diff and limited in the rear "acts like a rear wheel drive car. It has never had a dnf and has never had a mechanical problem in 7 races. Second make a strategy for the year "plan a budget" and aim high because your going to spend all of it. With my sponsor I have this in the package....... car displayed at store... attend all autox's... attend all major car shows .... Give talks to customers about my sponsors products. Its always how much exposure am I getting for my money? 2 kinds of sponsors ......... 1. Sympathy/tax writeoff sponsor 2. Exposure and Advertising sponsor ...... Your going to have to talk to about 20 companys before you even get 1 interested.

Oh yea if you move to europe your going to have the same problems of not finding any sponsors. It will probally be even harder to attain one.

Well, if I can figure out how to secure sponsors at the age of 22 I am sure you can do it with some hardwork.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

>Rallying takes $$$$ and if your inventive and find ways to
    >get it you will be sucsessful. TREAT RALLYING LIKE A
    >BUSINESS. Sponsorship is a privilege not a right. I have
    >managed not to pay for any of my races because of being
    >smart and finding sponsors. First you need to get to rally
    >school. See if you have the potiential or even like racing
    >in rally. Second save up some money and get a car. Alot of
    >people say golfs.... but I think a 2.5rs is a perfect
    >starter car. Low 165 HP/ My rs weighs 3100 pounds/ Open
    >front diff and limited in the rear "acts like a rear wheel
    >drive car. It has never had a dnf and has never had a
    >mechanical problem in 7 races. Second make a strategy for
    >the year "plan a budget" and aim high because your going to
    >spend all of it. With my sponsor I have this in the
    >package....... car displayed at store... attend all
    >autox's... attend all major car shows .... Give talks to
    >customers about my sponsors products. Its always how much
    >exposure am I getting for my money? 2 kinds of sponsors
    >......... 1. Sympathy/tax writeoff sponsor 2. Exposure and
    >Advertising sponsor ...... Your going to have to talk to
    >about 20 companys before you even get 1 interested.
    >
    >Oh yea if you move to europe your going to have the same
    >problems of not finding any sponsors. It will probally be
    >even harder to attain one.
    >
    >Well, if I can figure out how to secure sponsors at the age
    >of 22 I am sure you can do it with some hardwork.

All these responses are great!

Anyways, I'm still leaning for a GTI (though those 70's Colt/Lancers are appealing) purely because of cost. for my first year ity'll be hard to get sponsorship because I won't have proven myself, so my budget will be pretty low.

I'm kind of in the same boat as slickdizzy... except I am 28 and located in eastern canada. I got the education/career (i.e., has some money) but now I need to find a lot more money. I have some ideas for sponsors and have enough knowhow to approach them in a professional manner. I have begun by trying to get out to rallies and helping out on a team (i.e., Valley Tire). I also have a stock WRX that I plan to convert for P4 in a few years time. I'll see where that takes me. I did pretty good at the last few years' rallycrosses so I think I can drive, I'm just not sure how well yet or how competitive I will be. If I suck or if I can't afford to race indefinitely then I will just sell the car and move on. Thing is, at least I will have tried and will have no regrets. J.C.
    Rally - Racing the way nature intended it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Some of this stuff is pretty old, anyone want to add some updates (or start a new "getting started" thread)? I pulled this one from the dusty old SCCA days.

well seeing as how this is my first year racing I have a few observations.

1. you can never have too much money
    2. find local resources and ask lots of questions. mark utecht, graham evans, scott putnam, the RA guys (especially mike hurst) and a few others have been a very valuable tool in getting us off up and running
    3. read the rulebook. read it again
    4. don't cut corners (at least not where it counts. you don't need top of the line equipment but you need something reliable that you can trust. for example, my terratrip is no coralba but it works for us).
    5. set realistic goals. for us it started with getting the car together by a certain race. our race goals for this season are to not DNF or DNS and to get all our coefficients to go to an Open car next year. So far we've entered and finished 3 races.
    6. put together a solid crew. our crew works great together and makes our trips fun and enjoyable and when work needs to be done, it gets done
    7. buy used equipment when appropriate. i've saved a lot of money picking up second hand bits for our car
    8. don't forget your tow rig. you can't race if you don't get there - remember to maintain the trailer and truck
    9. drive responsibly. you get fast with experience. you can't get experience if you car is a little metal ball wedged against an elm tree
    10. have fun! what's the point if you're not having fun?

so those are 10 things i've learned while getting started this year

press on,
    carl

100 K right 4

You've been given plenty of good advice so I won't repeat any of it here, but if you'd like to see an actual rally this weekend we are going to Nemadji Trail 3 and would be glad to bring you along. We are traveling from Milw. to Duquette, Mn. on Fri. evening and will come back on Sun. afternoon. Contact me at [email protected] if you're interested.

We organize a rally, rallycrosses and Ice Trials in the S.E. Wi. area- the next rallycross is Sept. 20 at Gravity Park in Chilton, Wi. For more info check our website at: www.w-a-g.org .

Hope to hear from you soon- we've mentored several rallyists and would be glad to help you any way we can.
    Dave Parps
    Co-Driver, Car# 562 & 323.
    Co-Chair, GPTPR.

Just play DIRT on the X BOX LOL................Rallying is full of heart break its cool when its over, and its cool if you can build a car to finish a race......

Violent Steve #348 DSM all the way!!!

I'm new to this site and was pointed in this direction for all the Rally information about going Pro. I'm 23 right now I'm in the military but want to at least try and start competing in Regional events if I can. I am currently deployed and saving up as much cash as possible for all my Rally needs. Right now looking for a good car to start with and I think I've found one. I started this Rally dream when first learned of the WRC and Rally America and of Subarus a few years ago. I returned from my first deployment May 2008 and bought myself a stock 99 2.5 RS and moved to Colorado Ft. Carson. I was excited to attend my first Rally X in October 2008. I then moved up with some suspension mods to the RS to prep for the 2009 season of SCCA Rally X but only got to attend half the season since I'm now deployed.

So needless to say I won't be running Regional events in 2010 if I don't have a prepared car. I also wonít be ready in my opinion and wonít be in the states until May 2010. So I will hopefully get a prepared Rally car do the second half of SCCA Rally X next year getting used to the Rally car I will be using. My plans are to go to Team OíNeilís Rally School 4 day and licensing school. Also, I want to attend the FAASST Driving School in Pueblo, CO for learning the best driving line on tarmac.

Now what about the whole coefficients on being able to run in different classes? I would like to not have to run a FWD or RWD if I donít have to. I keep hearing different things about what class or what kind of car you need to start out in for Rally America. I know Iím a long way off of running in Rally America but I will need to read the rule book multiple times before I enter Rally America.

So any information regarding to where I need to start and what I need to do to work my way up from Rally X to Regional to hopefully National events. Mostly it will be funded by me and I may try getting some local sponsorship from all the local shops that run in the Colorado Rally Cup.

Sorry this is a long post but just introducing myself.

Welcome to the obsession. First and foremost, almost no one goes "pro" so don't ask. If you plan on racing in the Rally America series, you can register online with them at their website www.rally-america.com www.nasarallysport.com is another sanctioning body that has rallies around the US.

Reading the rule book is also something that is important. Don't get discouraged by reading the rule book either. I will summarize something that you asked specifically: you can run in Open Light which is AWD. However, I (along with many other people) would highly recommend starting off in a 2WD car. AWD will cover up mistakes and bad habits. I learned this the hard way since I came from driving Subarus all my life then suddenly I was in a FWD rally car looking like an idiot. After I got the hang of it I feel like I could do doughnuts around a MILF pushing a shopping cart in my grocery getter.

Last, many people will recommend that you buy your first rally car rather than build your first one. I happen to agree with them. Don't think of it like you're stuck with your first car either, think of it as a stepping stone into your AWD Turbo beast if that's the direction that you want to go. The first car is an easy way to learn the ropes of rallying and finding out what you like and what you don't like about your car. That way, when you trash it or are financially ready to move upward, you can build the car you've been dreaming of knowing exactly what features you want.

Sorry for the long response and if anyone thinks that I missed something or went way off the mark feel free to correct me.

Paul