New kid here, want to get into rallying in the future - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New kid here, want to get into rallying in the future

Default RE: New kid here, want to get into rallying in the future

Kid,

Think school, school, school. Its already too late to even consider Rally as a career. You should be a karting champ as well as a moto-x champ already. Even if you have the funding to buy rides your chances of making a living by driving are almost zero.

Sorry to be a buzz kill but planning your future on a "professional" driving career is like going out and starting to shoot hoops so you can make it to the NBA. The only difference is that they have 15+ teams with 10 players each and there are exaclty no professional Rally drivers in the US. BTW, most of the European import players that you see come from basketball camps that get kids at a very early age and practice fundamentals everyday for 10 years in exchange for a partuse of the salary. Think how many kids don't make it and end up as pretty damn good basketbal players with no other life skills.

School, school, school, career, career, career. It's great to dream but reality sucks. Investigate careers that are more likely to provide you a decent income without forcing you to sit at a desk. Find a Rally/Race prep shop in your area to volunteer at. You'll start out sweeping floors. If you show up everyday, are honest and hard working, you might progress up the ladder to start learning how to do other things and to receive a small salary. Other possible careers that do not involve much desk work are sales, any type of physical work, etc.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it won't happen. The "best" you can hope for trying to make a career from Rally is to end up running a Rally prep shop because you got really good at fixing your car after it broke. Use this money to fund your own occasional driving. Occasional, because fixing other people's cars is tiring and the last thing you want to do is fix your own car because you don't get paid to do that and the mortgage needs to be paid, not to mention the credit cards bills, .....

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Think what the world would be like if every entrepreneur had given up on an idea because there was no market for it. How many success stories are out there from folk who went on to create their own industry?

The ranks of middle class America are full of people who work at jobs they hate because they are too timid to do what they want. And yet, just look at the "dot-com bubble," that shows just how much the concept of "job security" is really worth.

Let the kid have his chance without shooting down his hopes. Put a little more "yes!" into this world. He's young, he's got plenty of time to dust himself off, learn from his mistakes, and start over. And even if he does fall down, he'll know more about the way the world works than most others who go to school, expect others to teach them, and then graduate and spend their life working for someone else in a career that no one will ever remember.

He's 15, and certified in CPR and first aid. How many others can say that? That tells me he's got some initiative. That's the main ingredient he needs for success. The opportunities are there for anyone who takes them. Look at Pat R, he didn't wait around for someone to give him a ride in the WRC, he went out and made it happen.

Remember, no one ever said on their death bed, "I wish I'd spent more time at the office!"

Jeremy,

who is quitting his high-paying, dull engineering job in 2 months to follow his lifelong dream to pursue an uncertain career in animation and illustration

--
    JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
    http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland
    Jeremy Rowland
    jprowland.blogspot.com

Well I'd rather chase an "unreachable" goal then to quit and regret it.

To quote Lance Armstrong from the movie Dodgeball: "Quit? You know, once I was thinking of quitting when I was diagnosed with brain, lung and testicular cancer all at the same time. But with the love and support of my friends and family, I got back on the bike and won the Tour de France 5 times in a row. But I'm sure you have a good reason to quit. I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. Well good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever."

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

200 square left

You have the right attitude in my opinion. Listen to everyone's opinion, take them for what they are worth and make the best decision you can. Remember to learn from other peoples mistakes as you will not live long enough to make them all yourself. Learn everything you can about everything to do with rally and car maintenance. Become a skilled mechanic if you can. Marcus Gronholm can fix almost anything that's fixable on a stage. Keep the positive attitude as it will get you much further than the alternative. And remember to have fun. If its not fun, why do it.

Gary

200 square left

You didn't say where you were located.
    Let us know where you are and you'll probably get lots of offers to work on rallies/rally cars/ etc.

I live in Waukesha, Wisconsin, but I go to the Madison area a lot. Heh, I hope I can get some offers, that would be great.

As an update to anyone who cares, I am going to Ojibwe where I'll probably be volunteering as a road marshal!

>I live in Waukesha, Wisconsin, but I go to the Madison area
    >a lot. Heh, I hope I can get some offers, that would be
    >great.
    >
    >As an update to anyone who cares, I am going to Ojibwe where
    >I'll probably be volunteering as a road marshal!

No rally cars in Madison any more that I know of, unless Chris Gilligan's car is still there. I think there are one or two in Milwaukee. Mike Merbach has a car in Appleton, and I think a couple more are going together there. I'm in Green Bay with my car. There is a plethora of cars in the Twin Cities area. All of always need help,all of the time.

Dennis Martin
    [email protected]
    920-432-4845

Best suggestion,
    Stay away from the driver's seat, become a codriver.

Alex Gelsomino
    www.alexgelsomino.com

I'll second that...If you've got the mind for it (and the stomach!) you've got a much better chance of going as far as you want, all the way up to the WRC level. And it won't make nearly the same dent in your wallet on the way up.

Even if you decide it's not for you, a year or two co-driving will show you what rallying is all about, and show you what to do and what not to do as a driver.

In the end, you should do what you want. Don't waste too much time as a co-driver if you really want to drive. But give co-driving a try and see how you like it, and do it as well as you can, not just something to do until you get your own car. There's a tremendous amount of satisfaction in doing your job well and helping a fast driver (maybe faster than you) go even faster.

--
    JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
    (Ex-)Co-driver, Wazoo Racing Subaru Impreza WRX, Production GT Class
    http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland
    Jeremy Rowland
    jprowland.blogspot.com

100 K right 4

I'll have to say that Alex G is right. It sounds as if you may have more of a co drivers mind set. Organized, Forsight, good head on your shoulders basically.

We drivers are more of the Testosterone overloaded, Neanderthal (sp?) "Ugg, me drive fast... hurt trees with car, huhuhuhu" mentality.

Either way stick to your dreams and don't let anyone sway you differently. YOU must decide how you want YOUR lifes course to run.

Two words for you; John Force

(Read up on his life story sometime.)

Jim