Special Stage Forums banner

Diet, exercise, and the rally driver

37K views 84 replies 47 participants last post by  sachilles 
#1 ·
Okay, so this actually came from the post about sizing seats, and someone said that the poster should stop eating so many cookies. Which got me thinking, so I thought I'd post this here and see what thoughts are out there, what other drivers do, etc. I just stepped up to a more powerful car, so I'm looking to make myself step up physical fitness-wise to that level.

Re: cookies: Actually, you may have a point here.

Rallyists, as a whole, don't tend to be the sort to work out a lot to increase their competitiveness in our sport. I guess I should say "American Rallyists".

Look at the WRC guys: they have fitness trainers, helping to keep them in shape so they can be at the peak of their physical fitness to drive their absolute best.

We tend to not go to such lengths.

I'm not going to tell you my stats , but let's just say that I'm not much bigger than my brother Mark; the driver seat in the Nissan was for him, and I'm finding that after a weekend of driving, the outside of my hips and legs hurt today. I did, however, discover that I never moved in the seat, which helped me to be more "connected" to the car and drive better.

I'm thinking of doing some sort of workout to a) get slimmer so the seat doesn't squeeze me so bad and b) increase my strength and stamina so I can drive better and not be so tired afterwards.

Thoughts?
KT

Kristen Tabor
1995 Geo Metro - Lil' Monster
1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R - Big Monster!!
kd7yct

Vive le Pro le Ralliat!!

See less See more
#54 ·
Yes the motorsports fitness manual is an awesome book. I used it a bit before rally Idaho last year. after the last super special stage i was ready for a game of pick up basketball. i felt great wasn't tired in the slightest. :)

#55 ·
Bottom line is that we spend long periods of time in the car at max heart rate. We also get the crap beat out of us. The, "rally hangover," that our team refers to in posts isn't due to drinking(usually)-it's due to the physical abuse we take and how bad we feel Sunday AM when we wake.

Any functional program is great-P90X, Crossfit, TRX, Tacfit, etc, etc. These are usually programs that increase core strength while keeping your heart rate high.

Ken's video shows some great work with mental work done while under physical pressure. I've heard some military training utilizes similar techniques.

The other pieces of the puzzle on event is hydration and proper nutrition. We've focused on this as a team over the last couple seasons. Anyone else notice the increase in driver errors due to brain fade at the end of a 12 hour day in the car? I'd wager the risk of error increases exponentially with the increase in fatigue. You push that threshold back a bit with good fitness, nutrition and hydration.

The work to get there isn't always fun(but it can be) and definitely not easy, but it's in investment in youself.

I know that Ken, Antoine and myself have regular fitness routines. I know there are a lot of cyclists in our sport, which is great for stamina. I'm sure there are other people out there doing stuff-would love to hear from more folks what they're doing.

#56 ·
....Anyone else notice the increase in driver errors due to brain fade at the end of a 12 hour day in the car? I'd wager the risk of error increases exponentially with the increase in fatigue.....

12 hours? You kids. In the good ol' days we ran 24 hours (not including driving to the rally and back home).

As for exercise.... I used to smoke on transits (was too busy on stage to smoke). Not that I recomend smoking, but back then we smoked in offices (General Motors) and damn near anywhere (something like the energy drinks now).

Actually I agree fitness should be a significant part of team preparation. However, I have a REAL issue with drug dealers (energy drink companies) paying rallyists and these same rallyists making exercise videos.

#60 ·
I am all about fitness as well. I work in a bike shop so I am surrounded by it...

But being the devils advocate here (because I don't drink or smoke at all) but doesn't Loeb smoke? I think there was a video of recce on a WRC round last year where Loeb and another top driver (Ogier maybe?) were smoking. Is it me or is there a touch of irony there?

#65 ·
I go to the gym every weekday.
Typical routine is 5-10 minutes of body weight exercises. Push ups, crunch's, squats, etc. High intensity with no rest periods. Then I hit a bike for 20 minutes. Easy pace for 5 minutes than 1 minute of high level followed by 2-3 minute rest and repeated til done 4 high level ones and 20 minutes total time.
Then comes the fun part of 20-45 minutes of sauna and reading.
During the summer I'll swim outside instead of going into the gym on alternate days.
I still drink a lot of beer and smoke all the time. I eat relatively healthy but not very often, twice per day max, more often just lunch. I drink alot of tea.
Our generation could definitely use mental concentration training more than anything.

#67 ·
.......Then I hit a bike for 20 minutes. Easy pace for 5 minutes than 1 minute of high level followed by 2-3 minute rest and repeated til done 4 high level ones and 20 minutes total time.

I still drink a lot of beer and smoke all the time. ........

I used to smoke *WHILE* I was bicycling (and rallying for that matter).

Then in 2000 I had quintuple bypass surgery, a heart attack in 06 (then I quit smoking), another heart attack in 08 as a reminder. Then I had both knees replaced this winter and will be able to start bicycling again in a few days/weeks. I wonder if I can start smoking again, because you smoke.... ya douche bag :)

You wrote your generation needs better concentration. What, you can't remember the warnings on a pack of cigarettes?

Kids...... Sheesh....... :)

#66 ·
Don't forget core training (abs, lower back, olbiques) can help reduce your risk of injury during a big impact. It can also reduce (or in my case completely take away) general post-rally soreness. Combine weight training with things that are actually functional (i.e. sports) and you got yourself strength and control, which means some extra durability...and we all want to be durable right!?

I think XC mountain biking is something that's a huge benefit to any rallyist. You get sections of sustained cardio mixed with intervals, use of your legs, arms, hips, and core to manuever the bike through obstacles, the need to keep concentration and form while exhausted, use of your vision to scan and pick a line in the distance while simultaneously dealing with all sorts of hazards in front of you...oh, and practice not being a pussy...always good skill to train when it comes to rally :p

I do about two days a week of pure weight training, but from a rally perspective that probably just pisses my drivers off for adding weight...oh well! When Malcom Wilson knocks on my door I'll stop...

Thanks,
Alex

#68 ·
Reading about heart attacks and surgery ... Maybe I need to skip the Pizza a few times and work out a little more often... i've been slacking pretty bad on my fitness program...

#70 ·
[video]www.dailymotion.com/video/xiqlgc_sport-science-carl-edwards_sport[/video]

Somethin I stumbled upon online. He's a NASCAR driver, not rally or F1 but still in real good shape and quick reflexes.

#72 ·
The sports science specials on ESPN are usually quite good, although I'm curious how guys like Tony Stewart would perform...

The new top drivers in NASCAR seem to take it a little more seriously than in the old days at least, but it would be interesting to see how much it really matters.

It would be cool to see design a test to see how top rally drivers can process information while completing a task or heart rates/blood pressures of top co-drivers on stage as well.

As for quitting smoking...I heard one comedian say something like, "quitting smoking is so much easier than quitting drinking. It's not like you're hanging out with you're friends talking about 'remember that time we were on the porch smoking? Oh man we had SOOO many cigarettes. It was AWESOME.'"

Although every time I've had a cigarette it really made me not want another, which means I probably just don't get it. Or understand the persistance behind getting addicted.

Thanks,
Alex

#73 ·
When i quit smoking i had visible shakes, and threw up a few times. went from 1.5 packs a day to 0

I had caught walking pneumonia for the 2nd time in a year, after just getting over bronchitis. Due to the pneumonia, i could barely smoke so i decided that would be the best time to try.

I had to smoke a few cigarettes a day for a few weeks before i was addicted, but each cigarette gave me a buzz. by the time they stopped giving me a buzz i was addicted. aah the dumb things i did at 16 :)

#74 ·
I've quit smoking three times now. First time for two years. Cut back for a few months and then cold turkey. Went to Madrid and Barcelona for 10 days and it made it easy. Second time I quit for about a 9 months. Same method but Paris. Third time was Turks and Caicos. It's getting out of the habits that is the hard part of quitting smoking.

#75 · (Edited)
How I quit smoking

They say everyone has to try smoking several times before being successful. I say, BULLSHIT!

Over the years I tried quitting 3 times (once when I was around 19, then around 30, and once in my late 30's). Each time I had withdrawl and was convinced by the literature and conventional wisdom that I was addicted. BULLSHIT! All it was was a tolerance for nicotine.

I had tried a 12 step program. What a bunch of bullshit for an athiest. Higher power... my ass. The only higher power I know are the New World Order of US rally twits that brought us over-priced, over-promoted, over-exposed forest sprint racing.

After my '06 heart attack my wife picked up a book at our local library put out by the American Lung Association. There were a bunch of different methods to quit. Most included picking a quit date etc. None of it rang any bells for me, so I did't try them.

One thing I read in the book was about writing a log about each cigarette I smoked. Things such as: what I was doing, what I got out of the cigarette, how I felt after the cigarette etc. Nothing long, just a few comments about each cigarette. After about 2 weeks of that I stopped. No withdrawl. No tapering off. No drama. No pain. Easy. About 2 weeks later I tried 2 cigarettes one day to see if I had beat it. Piece of cake. Haven't smoked since. That was almost 5 years ago, and remains easy. I rarely even think about it.

When they said the world was going to end this past weekend I kidded around about buying a pack of cigarettes.

Anyway the moral to the story is: **** FOR ME **** it wasn't addiction. It was a really bad habit I had to learn to stop. It was easy. For decades I had been convinced I was addicted. BULLSHIT.

#76 ·
Went from 4+ packs a day to nothing. Cold turkey. This was 7 1/2 years ago and was the best thing I have ever done. My lung capacity began to regenerate almost immediately and it absolutely made a difference in everything I did, including co-driving. Also began doing P90X last year and dropped a bunch of weight which also made a big difference. Have been nursing a shoulder injury for the past 6 months, but will be getting back to the workouts shortly.

#77 ·
I Somke for 22 years , went my second son was born back in dec 2005 I promise my wife that this time ( second ) I will quit , wasn't to 5 days later after my yearly Fisical that I got call from the doctor , to make a long story short they say that was possible I had long cancer, I had to wait for my insurance to approve a cat scan ( took two weeks) the longes two week of my life , result was that they made a mistake , mistake that cause me to shit my pants and decided to quit , cold turkey , is bent now 6 + years and I have to say one of the best desitions I made after rallying that is :cool:
Gus

#78 ·
im trying to stop drinking soda. Oddly, its kinda worked, but i find myself wanting one. Yea i know "lame" but i dont smoke and i maintain a reasonable level of fitness. I find that i am more alert, quicker acting when i retain a "healthy" lifestyle. And i have been able to notice this affecting my driving as I drive roads other than stage ones in Idaho frequently.

The biggest factor I've seen for me is sleep. Followed by food intake. If im rested and not loaded with crap food, my concentration is better and lasts much longer.

#79 ·
The biggest factor I've seen for me is sleep. Followed by food intake. If im rested and not loaded with crap food, my concentration is better and lasts much longer.
Same for me as a navvie and it also helps with nausea. I started with the patch but ditched it at the beginning of last year (it dried me out and made me feel "off" all weekend even if I didn't get sick). Now I focus on staying hydrated and trying to eat well during the event. For me that means low-sugar so my body doesn't have a crash coming down from eating something like a candy bar. I try to carry Clif bars for snacks and eat complex carbs, protein, and fruit during services (sandwiches with meat and veggies, trail mix, protein bars, fruit, etc.). I also carry Gu energy gels with me in case I do need a pick up. Some of them have caffeine.

This all comes from what I've learned about myself during training for endurance sports (marathons or triathlons). I eat very low-sugar and low-carb on a daily basis. It's a struggle to keep that going on rally weekends.

I would like to do CrossFit but I'm not willing to pay $100+/month to join a CrossFit gym and there is not one close enough to me to make sense anyway. I focus on running and throw in road cycling and (occasionally) swimming.

#80 ·
CrossFit is quite intense, I've looked into it after my year + on another program. I steered away as there is a much higher risk of injury because of some of the lifts they do. Form is key, but if you're pushing yourself, it wouldn't take a couple bad reps on dead lifts to ruin your back.

I've been doing Farrell's Extreme Bodyshaping for over a year now. It has made major improvements in all aspects of my life. From time with my family and to my racing. It has really transformed my life.
http://www.extremebodyshaping.com/

It's a good mix of intense cardio + strength training + nutrition. All three are the key to success and they have it developed to be a lifestyle change, rather than just some quick weight loss program. You can't out-exercise a bad diet.

Thanks - Jon

#81 ·
I love doing dead lifts, and clean and presses. Great exercises! you are right form is key, bad form and pushing had with dead lifts can jack your back.

but good form and lower weight can actually help a sore back to recover faster. (as long as there is no sharp shooting pain, I've done with on a "sore" back and felt back to 100% 2-3 days later)

#82 · (Edited)
Anyone reading my response, take it with a grain of salt because I have not driven a rally stage:

but, I feel eating habits are the same everywhere.

no sugary drinks, you'd be AMAZED at how much better you feel physically and mentally once cutting soda. You'll slim a few pounds as well.
fried foods. I love fried foods but come on, we all know they're bad. they've got the bad sort of cholesterol in them, save these as a weekend treat.
PORTIONS! We Americans love our generous portions, but in reality the human stomach is no more than the size of your fist, instead of eating a double cheeseburger, eat a single one. PACE YOURSELF WHILE EATING, it takes 20 minutes for your body to recognize it's full.

a big one: Don't eat out of boredom. Some times, you just want something good to eat, but you've got to recognize and tell yourself "Wait, I'm not actually hungry, I just want to eat something."

combine all of these together and at the very least you should easily maintain your current weight. Cardio is the best way to lose weight.

Remember that the human body also has 2 types of muscles, fast-twitch and slow-twitch. try types of exercise to give your fast twitch muscles a real work out since these are the types of muscles your body will be using during rally.

Exercise means nothing without the right food groups. grains, veggies, fruits, and meats. DON'T GO OVERBOARD WITH THE MEAT, again, I know it's part of our American culture to devour meat by the truck load, but Meat is not as wholesome as one would think. Have you ever seen a fat vegetarian? (Don't answer that, I'm sure there are plenty out there)

That's my .2

EDIT: By the way, I see a lot of people talking about dieting a week before the actual rally. If you want REAL results you sort of have to adapt a healthy eating, exercising and sleeping pattern as part of your life style. It's ok to take a day or two off once every couple of weeks, but If you want serious results you need to be serious about your habits.

EDIT: A good habit to get into: walk to McDonalds instead of driving, cut your losses. I know this might not be possible for some people, but it helps.

#85 ·
Really just about any activity will do as long as you are getting that heart rate up.
I totally stink at Racquetball, which results in my running twice as much as anyone who is good at it. The more activity, the more likely your core will stay strong, allowing you to take the abuse a little easier. Anyone who's profession doesn't involve sitting at a desk for more than an hour a day, has a good head start over the desk jockies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.