Diet, exercise, and the rally driver - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Diet, exercise, and the rally driver

into right 2 tightens mattjohnston's Avatar

Default RE: Diet, exercise, and the rally driver

>The best thing I've found so far?
    >
    >
    >A good night's sleep the day before the race.

Ack! this one is my problem!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Yeah, it's hard to get a good night's sleep before The Big Day because A) you're busy still fixing the car; B) you're fixating on rally-oriented things; C) you're hanging with your buds; or D) all of the above.

Mostly A, though. :)

KT

Kristen Tabor
    Oregon Rally Group, Stage Rally Director
    Oregon Rally Group Past President
    Competitor, KD7YCT

I find being in good shape has helped me a lot in Bike Racing, Sailboat Racing and Rallying...

I tend to work out at the Gym 3-4 times a week, I like to do a genral round of wieghts and then 40 mins of Arobic each time I go.

I have raced bikes all my life so I have always been in good cardio shape. I was totaly shocked how much adding a wieght program helped my performance in sailing and in the car.

I spent a bit of time, about 6 months, with a nutrisinist (SP) and found that help full and good info, I do not follow the diet per say but I know what I need to be doing and do not stray too far from his recomendations, basicaly low simple carbs (Sugers), lots of green vegies and proteen mixed in small meals about 4 times a day...

I do not drink coffee or energy drinks ever and during a rally I stick with water for the most part (as I do on the bike and boat too).

I do not train for rally but I find life in genral is better when I stay in shape and I notice the benifits during rallys for sure.

Looking at you I would guess light wieghts for 12-14 reps per type 2-3 times a week would keep you slim (not bulking up) and add strenght while at the same time making all those sores go away. Then keep up the walking/biking for the arobic stuff, that is basically what my wife does and it seems to work for her.

Hope that helps.

Derek

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

As an "ex-put the dinner on the table with racing moto-cross type guy", I must say I am perplexed at the stuff I'm reading here.
    You folks are just sitting on some nice comfy seats and _driving a CAR_ ferchristsakes.

Work.
    Diet: strong black tea in endless stream, a little milk and sugar.
    on stages, endless stream of "Starburst" 'godis'
    Just before stages 2 good hard deep 'hits' on a Marlboro or some other gross horrible cigarett.
    Had a couple hits off a ciggy from Tom Burgess right before a really snowy stage at 95 Lake Superior and went out and did a 4th Overall Stage time, had to have been the ciggy!

Ask Timo Salonen.

Diet and excercise????? For sitting in a car??
    Oi :(

John Vanlandingham
    Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Slid'n around 'n havin a ball randyzimmer's Avatar

Default RE: Diet? exercise???

I'm w/you JV.
    When I hung out w/ motoX'rs in college, they said, "5 hours bottle to throttle." That was about the only training regimen discussed.
    rz

50 caution yump

Default Yes: Diet & Exercise

JVL and RZ,

Moto-cross WAS your exercise, you ancient tea drinking nitz! :D

Back then, you were young and kept fit just by ridin' and doing all the nonsense needed to get ready, recouperate, and move on to the next event. Of course you didn't need a program. Moto-X WAS the program.

But today, if anybody thinks they need exercise they probably do. ESPECIALLY as they get older. Joey Dunlop not withstanding, time takes a hard toll and has an accumulative effect. What you don't do in your 20's, you pay for in your 30's; and your 30's in your 40's; ad nausium. (Yes, I am truly the voice of experience and still loosing the long hard battle. I've been ignoring those AARP invitations for a number of years. I probably shouldn't.) It gets harder every year.

Go back and read what Derek had to say. In the long run, his approach works best for most snack-food-prone, sit-down-working, TV-watching Americanski's.

Rich Smith
    Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

Default RE: Yes: Diet & Exercise

Kirsten-

I found that stering wheel exercise a little weird and not all that helpful. Certainly everyone in the gym looks at you funny. I think lifting a 10-15 pound hand weight in each hand from your hip to eye level right out in front of you is more effective for developing the same muscles. Alternate hands. Also for the forearms try the "finger roll" exercise of holding a small barbell in your fingertips and rolling it up to the palm of your hand.

Did these and other things a couple of days ago after a little while off and right now I'm typing with my nose.

ACP
    Flirting with the laws of physics.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

>JVL and RZ,
    >
    >Moto-cross WAS your exercise, you ancient tea drinking nitz!
    > :D
    >
    >Back then, you were young and kept fit just by ridin' and
    >doing all the nonsense needed to get ready, recouperate, and
    >move on to the next event. Of course you didn't need a
    >program. Moto-X WAS the program.

Actually Rich,
    when I was really serious, between 1971 and 1979, in addition to a 40 hour work week, we tried to practice seriously every Tuesday and Thursday, and in winter off season to spring we would try and do approx 3 hours of insanely intensive excercise on Monday and Wednesday evenings.
    By April may the sun doesn't go down till 9.00 at night or later and we would practice till just befor the mousiquitos would come and carry away the unwary.
    >
    >But today, if anybody thinks they need exercise they
    >probably do. ESPECIALLY as they get older. Joey Dunlop not
    >withstanding, time takes a hard toll and has an accumulative
    >effect. What you don't do in your 20's, you pay for in your
    >30's; and your 30's in your 40's; ad nausium. (Yes, I am
    >truly the voice of experience and still loosing the long
    >hard battle. I've been ignoring those AARP invitations for a
    >number of years. I probably shouldn't.) It gets harder every
    >year.
    >
    >Go back and read what Derek had to say. In the long run, his
    >approach works best for most snack-food-prone,
    >sit-down-working, TV-watching Americanski's.
    Snack food?
    TV?

AHHHHH! Now I see the violence inhereant in the system!
    I guess its all relative, I always thought rally was just a fun ride in the afternoon, but it's been well established that any top 10 or better sage times I might have done were flukes and anomolies so I probably don't know for nuthin'.
    >
    >Rich Smith
    >Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

John Vanlandingham
    Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

50 caution yump

>AHHHHH! Now I see the violence inhereant in the system!<

Comrade JVL,

Ha! No strange British women lying about in ponds throw results our way in some farcical aquatic ceremony designed to boost the ego (quiet) and overcome 40 years of sloth and bad habits (Quiet)! This isn't an anarcho-sydicalist commune you know ( Be Quiet). We don't take turns acting as sort of winner of the week (shut-up) with decisions being ratified in special bi-weekly meetings of the simple majority in the case of internal affairs (Oh Shut-Up), but a two-thirds majority in the case of major... (SHUT UP). Oh! Help! Help! Our rally bodies are being repressed!

Bloody Peasant! :7 Say Hi to Chrissy for me.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

I heard about this exercise from a former toyota atlantic driver and i also saw a champ car driver doing it on a National Geographic show using a medicine ball you block tennis balls lobbed at your head at least a hundred of them. IT will improve muscle stamina but also test eye hand coordination along with fatigue. Good luck.