Been lurking for years

Thread: Been lurking for years

100 K left 2

Default Been lurking for years

I've always searched special stage for information and left when I found it. That's probably been going on for over a decade now.

Now that I accidentally started a business where I sometimes build rally cars, I guess it's time to let it be known. I learned how to build race cars so that I could build my own. The economy was down when I got out of the Army and I was disabled for a little while so there was nothing better to do than learn how to build race cars. Who would have known that when the economy picked back up that other people would want me to build them race cars?

My business is located in Clearwater Florida and is called Goumba fab. I've been building roll cages, rebuilding and revalving suspension, building suspension from scratch, v8 swaps, building custom exhaust, and other race car stuff. I also do metal work on rusty old cars. A few months ago I replaced the entire floor pan on a gorgeous 1965 101 Giulia spider.

Back in 2015 I built a miata and won every rallycross event I went to to include the national rallycross championship. That was nice and cool at the time but now it's time for stage rally. I was going to build my Merkur then I was going to buy an already built one. Then the Miata got a stage cage put in it and soon it will have three roofs. Two of those roofs will be metal. One will be welded on top of the roll cage and the other will be on top of the fiberglass top and welded to the car. Ground clearance and durability shouldn't be any more of an issue with the car compared to any other car competing. If NASA likes the car and allows it to compete in more than one event, then how well it works will determine if that car continues to get used. There's still a 97 impreza coupe and Merkur sitting in the yard for fallback plans.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 2

Goumba; Welcome aboard. Hop to see you at CFR RX events this year. I own and drive for Bad Co. Racing. We have a Mk. 4 GTI with Audi TT-Q 1.8T engine swap. MF class for RX. Would love to talk to you this year about welding in a full cage to NASA specs (Kirk Racing fabricated), during the off-season between 17-18. I love the 101 Giulias. Had a few Alfas over the years and the Giulia Spider Veloce was always one of my dream cars. Super, uber rare.
    Because Racecar...

The first rule of Racecar, is that we do not talk about Racecar.

"Absolutely Not! No. Rally racing is a back alley sport, filled with jackals, headhunters, and thugs." - Pops Racer.

100 K left 2

I'm trying to make it out to both days at the rallycross. The 28th and 29th should be a fun weekend. Some of us will be camping out at the site. If you're going we can talk there. Three cars there will have a cage built by me so you can see some of my work.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 2

I will have the Silver GTI in MF. See you there. If I am not around the car, look for a Benz ML350 or a white Dodge dually. Looking forward to meeting you, and checking out the cage work. We may have even met last year, as I attended almost every event as a spectator and worked timing for three of them.
    Because Racecar...

"Absolutely Not! No. Rally racing is a back alley sport, filled with jackals, headhunters, and thugs." - Pops Racer.

your other left, you idiot

Um, while you can rally most anything (although not a Miata in RA), whether you SHOULD is another matter.

I have rallied in cars with little interior room (Eagle/Talon), and observed others (MR2, Sonnet), the Miata is NOT something I would try. And I own one...

YMMV

Have fun.

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

100 K left 2

Asking about rallying a miata has been brought up many times in my searches. It has been tried once in the US and that's it. Whether or not if it's a better idea than not still seems to be largely open for debate. After sandblast and maybe a few rallies after that will hopefully be answered. From my experience jumping the car, driving on rutted surfaces, deep sand, and just beating the hell out of the car over the last two years has made me to believe it will be fine. I've lifted the car about an inch while giving it more compression and droop travel than stock. The rear axle angle should still be in a good enough range so that it doesn't get destroyed too quickly. My rally valved shocks have proven the car is quite stable in the dirt at speeds over 100 mph. I'm sill working on skid plates and underneath protection. A good kevlar reinforced epoxy bed liner will hopefully help with that. The car has proven to be incredibly reliable and able to take sustained beatings. It's a great car! I can say how good it is for rally yet. If it doesn't prove to be good, it will be sold and something else will replace it. I won't cry about it.

Part of what Jimmy is saying is that in a small car, there is no place to put your helmet during transits. Plus water bottles, triangles, energy bars, tow ropes, etc. etc.

100 K left 2

The biggest space issue is the spare tire. It always wants to go in MUCH easier than it comes out. The jack and tool kit live underneath that. I've spent most of 7 days inside of the car in the past. It's a terribly cramped place to be. Everything will fit, but yes, it's far from optimal.

100 K left 2

Welcome!

100 K right 2

Sorry you did not make it to the test and tune. I was able to spend some time with Ken Little, and go over the work you did on the cage for his stage rally car. Very interested in speaking with you about moving forward with my project.
    Because Racecar...