Special Stage Forums banner

Car questions

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  shauny423 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi there excuse any dumb questions as I am very new to rally cross and am trying to undertand all the details (will be attending team oneil in a couple months) So i have been looking through various rule books and have noticed all have specs on engine cc's but none say how many cylinders is it understood they all have to b 4 cylinders or could you go with a v8? also do they all have to be sedans or could coupes work too? Also do they all have to be even for grc and amauter rally like rally america stuff do they have to be 2.0 liters 4 cylinder or can u even go for the 2.5. Thanks so much for helping me out

#2 ·
There is no regulation in the rule books that relates to the number of cylinders, one could stuff a V-10 under the hood of a rally car (there is a Lamborghini Gallardo rally car [with a V-10] being built right now) as long as the total displacement was under the ultimate max for G5 (large, 2WD).

AWD doesn't let people go much beyond the stock Subaru engines, as most of the AWD classes were designed around Subarus. Depending on what class you're looking at, 2.5 falls in different places. Most non-turbo AWD cars (Open Light) are the 2.5RS-engined Subarus (Legacy, impreza, etc).

If you're looking at 2WD 2.5L falls below the cutoff for G2/G5 and would put you in the G2 (Low-displacement 2WD) class.

I've seen all types of rally cars (except convertibles, because they have to be full-bodied), wagons, sedans, coupes, Jeep Cherokees, Toyota Rav4's (a Rav4 is tied for national championship points going into the last race of the season at LSPR this weekend). Now, just because you CAN use almost anything, doesn't mean you should. Coupe's tend to be small, so after you throw a cage in it there's very little room to sit, and it can be uncomfortable. Sedans and hatchbacks seem to be the cars of choice for most people.

Hopefully that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions.

#4 ·
Yes, G5, G2, B-spec, Open, SP are all classes that are detailed in the Rally America rule book. The 2WD classes are G2, G5, and B-Spec. G2 is the low displacement category, with G5 being the "high" displacement category which includes turbocharged and supercharged 2WD cars. B-Spec are specific models of cars such as Honda Fit, Chevy Sonic, and Ford Focus (specific models detailed in the rule book). Within G2 and G5 there are almost any legal modifications to intakes/exhaust/interiors and are essentially open classes split by a displacement limit. B-Spec is a production class where no modification to the drivetrain is allowed, and limited interior modification is allowed. B-Spec is shared across to road racing and *technically* you could race the same car in both of you built the cage right.

For AWD, Open is self-explanatory, SP is the AWD production class but is rally-specific (unlike b-spec). Open-light is non-turbo AWD cars. There is a class called "National Limited Open" ir NLO, but it's basically open class that has some cost limits (such as it must retain the production engine block). NLO exists because someone wants to win a trophy and not have to compete directly with Higgins and all of Subaru's $$.

Hope that answers your questions! Let me know if you have more, the rulebook has all the details about exactly what the displacement limits are and what not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.