Build or Buy? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Build or Buy?

I'm getting into rally as well - personally I am going with buying a 2wd car that is ready to go. I can build a car from the ground up, but I've done that with other types of racing and with the sort of abuse rally puts on a car I would rather jump into something proven and easy ish to drive.

Ever volunteer at any events? It's a good way to check everything out to know what you are getting yourself into

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

What about renting a car for an event or two before buying a car or building one?
    Anyone knows how much does renting a car would cost? It would be ideal if I can rent out a co driver and a crew.

'is the engine bogging?' RobBohn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subie0 View Post
    What about renting a car for an event or two before buying a car or building one?
    Anyone knows how much does renting a car would cost? It would be ideal if I can rent out a co driver and a crew.
    Have you talked with Tim O'Neil yet? They rent cars and can supply co-drivers and a support team. you're going there soon anyway - check them out!
    Rob Bohn

"If you're in control, you're not driving fast enough." - Parnelli Jones
    "If you're in a control, don't go backwards." - anonymous
    Old Co-Driver's FAQ at RallyCoDrivers.org / slideshow here

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RobBohn View Post
    Have you talked with Tim O'Neil yet? They rent cars and can supply co-drivers and a support team. you're going there soon anyway - check them out!
    Yeah I asked them already. They can get my the whole package. I just need the $$$ hahaha.

I don't quite understand the point of renting a car, unless you are unsure about rally. It just gets you that much farther away from owning a car and actually competing.

Considering you can get ready-to-go rally cars all day long for under $10k in the USA, and a rental is going to run at least $3k, the numbers just don't add up unless you are undecided.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy View Post
    I don't quite understand the point of renting a car, unless you are unsure about rally. It just gets you that much farther away from owning a car and actually competing.

Considering you can get ready-to-go rally cars all day long for under $10k in the USA, and a rental is going to run at least $3k, the numbers just don't add up unless you are undecided.
    You got a point there. But what if I cannot find a car? I am looking for a 2wd either NA or turbocharged (prefer turbocharged) that has a logbook and ready to rally that is not over $10-15K (the under 10k cars look beat up and can last another year or two; I want something that could last me for a long time) and comes with spare parts and hopefully comes with a trailer too.

You got a point there. But what if I cannot find a car? I am looking for a 2wd either NA or turbocharged (prefer turbocharged) that has a logbook and ready to rally that is not over $10-15K (the under 10k cars look beat up and can last another year or two; I want something that could last me for a long time) and comes with spare parts and hopefully comes with a trailer too.
    shoot me a pm.....your account isnt set up to receive them currently.

You aren't looking in the right places. There are somewhere between 5-10 open light cars for sale right now that are not "beat up" and are basically ready to go.

Are they perfect? No. But that doesn't matter when you bin it on the 2nd corner of a rally (I say this from experience). It is extremely unlikely you will get a car with spare parts of any meaningful value, and doubly so that you will get a trailer out of the deal. Uhaul rentals are cheap, if you break at a rally, you will be DNF'ing anyways unless you have a service crew.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

Global Village Idiot Nick the Brit's Avatar
    North Hollywood, California, United States, Planet Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Galaxy!

Check with Doug Nagy at Streetwise - about 70miles from Los Angeles in Rancho Santa Margarita. He has a RWD Corolla that he rents out (and it is also for sale).
    It would be a good and cheap place to start learning.

https://streetwiseparts.com/
    Nick Taylor.
    www.365rally.com

Big Thanks to:
    www.streetwiseparts.com ,Rancho Santa Margarita,CA
    RJ Olchawa Machine Shop Services,Ontario,CA

I figured I will volunteer at a few events and hopefully meet teams and maybe I'll find a team who want to sell their car. I am not in a hurry because I decided to start racing at next year's events. That gives me more time to look for cars and hopefully meet people who are willing to crew for me. Will anyone be at Gorman, Doo Wop, and the Prescott rallies? Would love to meet and help crew for you guys. Let me know please.