Gauge Make and Model?

Thread: Gauge Make and Model?

Default Gauge Make and Model?

I have been reading around the gauge threads here and abroad and have come to the conclusion that a Oil Press, Water Temp, Voltage, Fuel Level and Tack will be sufficient for my needs.

This is a Subaru Impreza rallyX car with the hopes of hill climb and stage rally in the fairly distant future.

I would like to stay electronic to avoid fluids in the car as I don't believe I require the level of precision of mechanical gauges. My question is what make and model do you recommend? I do not need bling or fancy features. I do need low cost. I say low cost because I don't want to say cheap. I would rather spend a couple bucks more to get good gauges once.

Thanks,
    -Dustin

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Default RE: Gauge Make and Model?

no one has an openion or suggestion?

I am leaning towards VDO Vision series.

-Dustin

I have the Summit Racing "house brand" digital gauges. They may be Cyberdyne, which isnt bad either. The Cyberdyne product line is more complete than the Summit and priced pretty close.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

50 caution yump

AUTOMETER.

I don't think you have a choice with the Voltmeter, don't know of any mechanical versions. It may also be tough to find any modern mechanical drive tachs any longer.

Your type choices are excellent; those are the important ones.

I have actually experienced a faulty mechanical temp gauge, so no preferences there. However, if you can swing it, by all means try to use a mechanical Oil Pressure gauge.

Good luck!

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Hey Dustin.
    You're right.
    Yo don't need thew facncy gauges. Think of this: electric signals are good enough to trust to run the motor (via the ECU)
    They OUGHT to be good enough for racecar guages WHICH ARE JUST REFERENCE things.

I usually point boys in the direction of Volvo Turbos and some 80s/early 90s Audis or VW GTIs cause the have a three pod VDO Volt/Temp/Pressure set up whith a nice cutesy mini-loom
    They're clear and the faces match their aftewrmarket schtuff and this is important so fawkin pay some fawkin attention:
    All German senders have their range stamped on the flat of the hex, so if you have a 0-150c temp gauge, the sendwer will say right on it 0-150.
    Same with pressure sender and everything else.
    With Japski and 'Merkun stuff the only clue is the box.

I have seen guys waaaaaay baffled by screwy readings and they INSIST
    "it SHOULD be the right sender!!!"

Yeah it _should_, but is it?

Don't be ashamed that the guages might have some tiny volvo logo, 5 bucks is 5 bucks.
    You have more important things the foo-fo pansy guages to waste money on.

John Vanlandingham
    Seattle, WA.
    www.jvab.f4.ca

janvanvurpa(at)f4(dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
    Vive Le Groupe F!
    Rally Anarchy Rallyist BBS
    - http://www.rallyanarchy.com/

Autometer makes a wide variety of guages.

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugeseries.aspx

The Sport Comp series is not entry level and not high end either, and I would think that would one should consider. Obviously the Tach and Speedo guages cost more but you should be able to buy the others for about $35-$50 each.

That's what I used in my GT2 car, and I never had any problems.

Tim

So if I understand this right yall are saying go with Autometer Sport Comp or VDO Vision and all will be well? They are comperable products or dose one have a distinct advantage over the other?

I am probably going to stay away from the jun yard special as I need a fuel level gauge and probably others in the future. While I like the idea of saving money I also like the idea of doing things right and having a finnished product that looks professional.

Are there any particular retailers you suggest? I have been looking at egauges.com simply because it came up near first on a google search and it is layed out in a way that makes comparisons easy in my mind.

Are OE senders generally compatable with either brand of gauge? Or should I be getting seporate senders anyway for redundancy? I'm not really concerned with oil press or water temp but it would be nice to just tap the OE fuel level instead of fiddling around in the gas tank.

-Dustin

Need ride. Please send money. JC_595's Avatar

I use Autometer SportComp stuff mostly, unless I need something special they dont offer.

Prices are nice, and they do a great job & are reliable. I have never had one fail.

We always used Autometer ProComp in the NASCAR & Trans AM teams cars I worked with.

I buy from here
    http://www.egauges.com/

It's actually Dons Sport, here in MI.

They have always treated me well & have great prices.

I need to edit this- we actually used silver faced Autometer gages for awhile at Roush- so those werent ProComp- they were AutoLITE electrical gages if I recall.. Man... now I dont remember. Nonetheless we still stuck to Autometer Pro "level" gages...

JC
    www.gnimotorsports.com

PS- fuel level gages depend on the Ohm levels coming from the sender. You need to know the range onthe stock sender, and match that to the gage you select.

50 caution yump

Make sure to search eBay, also.

As JC mentioned, make sure you know the ohms of the fuel sending unit and match it up to the guage. Otherwise it will not accurately read.

The only SportComp guage that isn't available is a hydrolic oil pressure guage, so I opted for a different Autometer series for that.

Tim