Special Stage Forums banner

Las Vegas Drifter looking to get into rally

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  John Vanlandingham 
#1 ·
Just like the title says I'm a drifter in Las Vegas and have been competing for almost two years. My story goes like this: My main interest and passion has always been rally racing when I was younger by idolizing drivers such as Colin Mcrae. That led me to purchasing an 07 STI for my first car just so I can do Autox events and a Rallyx event here in Vegas but sadly around that time scca stopped hosting rally events out here which led me to find drifting. I recently found out from a co worker who used to do rally in Asia that there are small events popping up in jean and mesquite Nevada. This re-sparked my interest and led me to research more which led me to finding events in riverside California and Arizona. Now with my own resources I have the ability to trailer a car anywhere I would like so these events are now realistic for me. I also have been building another competitive car for drifting which will lead me to selling my current car (the green s13.4) so I'll have room for another project!

My first issue is finding information on events out here in Nevada. Such as the Seed 9 rally which hosts an event in jean. There's no 2016 information on the website as well as the Tri-state rally (Rally-Utah) which holds an event in mesquite Nevada. Can anyone point me in a better direction to find information on these events?

My next issue is finding a car! (I'm tired of building) I'm looking to compete in the performance stock class and would like to purchase something that could pass tech as is and needs maybe a little love. If anyone has any information on a car for sell in maybe a 7 hour max drive from Las Vegas I would appreciate it very much! Hope to see some people around at events and you'll see me posting on here frequently!

Pics of my current hobby!

See less See more
#2 ·
#4 ·
While we applaud you for looking for a 2WD car and one already built, the Performance Stock category is unique to the California Rally Series and neither of the events you mentioned are part of that series and thus no Performance Stock Class. That said, you can run a performance stock car in Group 2 or 2WD however you will be competing against more modified cars with more HP and will be at a competitive disadvantage.

Also, having seen the results of the past few CRS rallies, Performance Stock seems to have lost most competitors and many more CRS-2 which is pretty much equal to Group 2 or 2WD Lite. Suggest you read the rules from the sanctioning bodies you are interested in before you move forward as there are differences. Recommend you build or purchase a Group 2 car built to Rally-America specs as those cars can run in all of the other sanctioning body rallies while building or buying to another sanctioning bodies specs will be limited.

Good luck,

#5 ·
That's something I did not think about. running events in Utah, cali, and Arizona could have different tech rules. So aim for a car that's built to rally America spec? So is rally America a sanctioning body that oversees other groups such as crs and tri-state rally and they have to abide by rally Americas tech requirements?

#10 · (Edited)
Another Haydon, this one with a certain Paddon said recently "If you're planning on a career in rally then beginning with a FWD is probably better to trasirion into 4wd, but if you are rallying for fun, then RWD"

We are all in North America rallying for fun.

You're used to power and rwd in your drift car..
Why not this then

Or maybe easier to find and easier to build, the other 240?

This being the other 240,

#11 ·
I turned on that PM function, I didn't know it was off. I'll definitely check out events later in the fall around here especially Prescott and I believe there's one at Ridgecrest as well. With the event being held at Jean which will be my home rally event I'll definitely try to crew and get some contacts with the scrutineer.

Also @John V. I'm not trying to make a career out of it at all and I have weighed the pros of going to a similar chassis. Dirt fish has a new 2wd and 4wd program so I'm definitely going to see how both feel on the dirt. The biggest thing is I'm going to be participating in two motorsports so going 2wd I think would definitely mean less parts to break. Plus sliding around may not be the fastest way but it is the most fun .

#13 ·
I turned on that PM function, I didn't know it was off. I'll definitely check out events later in the fall around here especially Prescott and I believe there's one at Ridgecrest as well. With the event being held at Jean which will be my home rally event I'll definitely try to crew and get some contacts with the scrutineer.
The PMs start out off for new members, and we have to go in and turn it on. Let me know if you end up going to the one in Prescott, it was my first event last year and I'll definitely be back!

#14 ·
The biggest thing is I'm going to be participating in two motorsports so going 2wd I think would definitely mean less parts to break. Plus sliding around may not be the fastest way but it is the most fun .
And as you know from the Nissan 240 there are ways to upgrade highly stressed things like the entire rear diff. Say you start with an R180---well hell, we just shove a R200 or a R210 in..----halfshafts? Maybe from a whatever...
Can't easily do that with FWD. The gearbox it came with is the gearbox for THAT CAR...first step up costs several thousand.
Next step costs $15,000..

That's bullshit.. Ain't worth it.
So for more fun for less dollars in what is most definitely just for fun.. RWD.

Like virtually everybody who has experience and has done the turbo 4wd thing eventually decides to build..

For you who has already good experience in getting silly sideways, seriously I would skip the Dirtfish or O'neill thing.
You already know what to do...no point in pissing away a lotta dough to figure that out.

#12 ·
After looking at the ohprg site the whole season looks like events within 3 hours to me other than maybe one or two. That definitely looks like the series I would run. after looking at the classes there are a rally limited 2wd and a limited 4wd. I'll do my research and see if I can find something up to date with the current tech rules while attending those events. Thanks everyone for the info and advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.