Las Vegas Drifter looking to get into rally
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Las Vegas Drifter looking to get into rally

Default Las Vegas Drifter looking to get into rally

Just like the title says I'm a drifter in Las Vegas and have been competing for almost two years. My story goes like this: My main interest and passion has always been rally racing when I was younger by idolizing drivers such as Colin Mcrae. That led me to purchasing an 07 STI for my first car just so I can do Autox events and a Rallyx event here in Vegas but sadly around that time scca stopped hosting rally events out here which led me to find drifting. I recently found out from a co worker who used to do rally in Asia that there are small events popping up in jean and mesquite Nevada. This re-sparked my interest and led me to research more which led me to finding events in riverside California and Arizona. Now with my own resources I have the ability to trailer a car anywhere I would like so these events are now realistic for me. I also have been building another competitive car for drifting which will lead me to selling my current car (the green s13.4) so I'll have room for another project!

My first issue is finding information on events out here in Nevada. Such as the Seed 9 rally which hosts an event in jean. There's no 2016 information on the website as well as the Tri-state rally (Rally-Utah) which holds an event in mesquite Nevada. Can anyone point me in a better direction to find information on these events?

My next issue is finding a car! (I'm tired of building) I'm looking to compete in the performance stock class and would like to purchase something that could pass tech as is and needs maybe a little love. If anyone has any information on a car for sell in maybe a 7 hour max drive from Las Vegas I would appreciate it very much! Hope to see some people around at events and you'll see me posting on here frequently!

Pics of my current hobby!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right

welcome, I've done the seed 9 rally and its a lot of fun.

www.californiarallyseries.com and http://www.southwestrallyseries.com/events/ will have all of the events that are "in your area" so to speak.

very smart to buy an existing / working log booked rally car. don't have one to sell you but great plan there.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

Quote Originally Posted by A1337STI View Post
    welcome, I've done the seed 9 rally and its a lot of fun.

www.californiarallyseries.com and http://www.southwestrallyseries.com/events/ will have all of the events that are "in your area" so to speak.

very smart to buy an existing / working log booked rally car. don't have one to sell you but great plan there.
    Ahhhh! Thank you for the southwest rally series link. very helpful

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

While we applaud you for looking for a 2WD car and one already built, the Performance Stock category is unique to the California Rally Series and neither of the events you mentioned are part of that series and thus no Performance Stock Class. That said, you can run a performance stock car in Group 2 or 2WD however you will be competing against more modified cars with more HP and will be at a competitive disadvantage.

Also, having seen the results of the past few CRS rallies, Performance Stock seems to have lost most competitors and many more CRS-2 which is pretty much equal to Group 2 or 2WD Lite. Suggest you read the rules from the sanctioning bodies you are interested in before you move forward as there are differences. Recommend you build or purchase a Group 2 car built to Rally-America specs as those cars can run in all of the other sanctioning body rallies while building or buying to another sanctioning bodies specs will be limited.

Good luck,
    Dave Weiman
    rallydave at pobox dot com

Quote Originally Posted by rallydave View Post
    While we applaud you for looking for a 2WD car and one already built, the Performance Stock category is unique to the California Rally Series and neither of the events you mentioned are part of that series and thus no Performance Stock Class. That said, you can run a performance stock car in Group 2 or 2WD however you will be competing against more modified cars with more HP and will be at a competitive disadvantage.

Also, having seen the results of the past few CRS rallies, Performance Stock seems to have lost most competitors and many more CRS-2 which is pretty much equal to Group 2 or 2WD Lite. Suggest you read the rules from the sanctioning bodies you are interested in before you move forward as there are differences. Recommend you build or purchase a Group 2 car built to Rally-America specs as those cars can run in all of the other sanctioning body rallies while building or buying to another sanctioning bodies specs will be limited.

Good luck,
    That's something I did not think about. running events in Utah, cali, and Arizona could have different tech rules. So aim for a car that's built to rally America spec? So is rally America a sanctioning body that oversees other groups such as crs and tri-state rally and they have to abide by rally Americas tech requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Hayden Evans View Post
    That's something I did not think about. running events in Utah, cali, and Arizona could have different tech rules. So aim for a car that's built to rally America spec? So is rally America a sanctioning body that oversees other groups such as crs and tri-state rally and they have to abide by rally Americas tech requirements?
    First of all to answer your great question, we are NOT talking about tech rules. Not like nascrap where tech checks for compliance with the rules; rally scrutineering is almost completely a safety check but, they do check for some compliance issues such as turbo restricter size, sound check, etc. Read the rules and read the again to get a better idea. Believe the rule books cover what scrutineering encompasses. The tech chief often does impromptu inspections and some cars are checked after the event for rule compliance. Also competitors can file inquiries and protests if they believe another car is violating the rules. You really need to read and reread the rules to get a good start and going to a rally or rallies and looking and talking to people will help. Asking for trouble trying to start with the proper information and the boards do have people who know but, others who don't so not everything you read may be correct.

As far as RA overseeing other groups, not at all, it's just that for instance a cage built to RA rules will pass all of the sanctioning body requirements while the cages from others built to the minimum might not meet the other requirements so if you build or buy to RA cage requirements, you are good to go with others but, not the other way.
    Dave Weiman

Quote Originally Posted by rallydave View Post
    First of all to answer your great question, we are NOT talking about tech rules. Not like nascrap where tech checks for compliance with the rules; rally scrutineering is almost completely a safety check but, they do check for some compliance issues such as turbo restricter size, sound check, etc. Read the rules and read the again to get a better idea. Believe the rule books cover what scrutineering encompasses. The tech chief often does impromptu inspections and some cars are checked after the event for rule compliance. Also competitors can file inquiries and protests if they believe another car is violating the rules. You really need to read and reread the rules to get a good start and going to a rally or rallies and looking and talking to people will help. Asking for trouble trying to start with the proper information and the boards do have people who know but, others who don't so not everything you read may be correct.

As far as RA overseeing other groups, not at all, it's just that for instance a cage built to RA rules will pass all of the sanctioning body requirements while the cages from others built to the minimum might not meet the other requirements so if you build or buy to RA cage requirements, you are good to go with others but, not the other way.
    Got it. Coming from drifting tech rules are probably the most laughable displays of safety so that's part of what I was worried about coming into a more evolved sport. I do plan on going to 2 or 3 rally stages in the fall to do some research and participate in dirt fish for my 21st birthday. So I'll aim for something that's built to rally America specs and a 2wd car that'll pass multiple rule books.

Another question I have, I was watching a video called "How to get into rally" on youtube for the hell of it and the team owner mentioned that driving a front wheel drive car at first teaches one to be a much better driver in rally that rear wheel drive. Is this true?

Got it. Coming from drifting tech rules are probably the most laughable displays of safety so that's part of what I was worried about coming into a more evolved sport. I do plan on going to 2 or 3 rally stages in the fall to do some research and participate in dirt fish for my 21st birthday. So I'll aim for something that's built to rally America specs and a 2wd car that'll pass multiple rule books.

Another question I have, I was watching a video called "How to get into rally" on youtube for the hell of it and the team owner mentioned that driving a front wheel drive car at first teaches one to be a much better driver in rally that rear wheel drive. Is this true?
    Really depends. You will get different answers but, have heard it is true and will lead you better to awd if you go that route. Have heard RWD is cheaper to build and maintain as the Diff is not part of the engine assembly. LIke most things, one answer doesn't fit all. Not a lot of RWD cars being built today and most rallies in 2wD are being run and won in FWD. Would recommend you go to Team O'Neil rather than Dirtfish as I understand they only teach in AWD while Team O'Neil will start you in 2WD and you go on from there. Know it is further and probably more expensive but, I think Tim is the best school and they will teach you 2WD which you need if that's the way you start as the driving is different than AWD.
    Dave Weiman

Another difference that may not be apparent at the outset is the difference between a series and a sanctioning body. California Rally Series (CRS), Southwest Rally Cup, Cascadia International Rally Cup (CIRC), etc are different series that contain events that are sanctioned (read: Insurance) like the SCCA. NASA Rally Sport and Rally America are the two large national sanctioning bodies within the US, with a couple southwestern events such as Seed 9 and the Tri-state Rally that you mentioned, sanctioned by a smaller third-party group called Oranizers HP Rally Group (OHPRG) that only has events in the southwest (most of the events in the Southwest rally cup fall under OHPRG). The CRS championship has events sanctioned by both Rally America (Mendocino Rally) and NASA Rallysport (all others).

Tech rules are determined by the sanctioning bodies and are GENERALLY similar but not the same. There are differences in cage construction requirements, as well as seat certifications (NASA requires an FIA certified seat). Cars can, and are usually, constructed to be legal for both NASA and Rally America but always find out who your local scrutineer is and send them pictures and/or meet them in person to verify that the car you are looking at is still legal (cage rules have been updated through the years) and would pass a tech inspection. There's nothing worse than buying a car and showing up to your first event and being turned away because the car doesn't pass tech. Get to know the scrutineer and check beforehand to save a lot of headaches.

All that being said, welcome to Rally! CRS has a few events that are decently close to you, and my driver is now storing his car in Vegas. If you can get time off work, he's about to head up to Idaho for the next CRS event and is definitely looking for someone to keep him from falling asleep on the way A good way to get involved and learn about rally and how an event functions is to volunteer or crew! Then while you're there you can ask drivers and codrivers and experienced volunteers (organizers) any and all questions you may have, face to face.

Idaho is this weekend, Gorman Ridge Rally is in August (the 20th), north of LA, and Prescott Rally is at the beginning of Oct. (Oct. 1st, 4hrs from vegas) and then Seed 9 after that (usually after SEMA week).

(P.S. Be sure to activate your PMs under the Control Panel)
    Good place to get started: Rally University

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Another Haydon, this one with a certain Paddon said recently "If you're planning on a career in rally then beginning with a FWD is probably better to trasirion into 4wd, but if you are rallying for fun, then RWD"

We are all in North America rallying for fun.

You're used to power and rwd in your drift car..
    Why not this then

Or maybe easier to find and easier to build, the other 240?

This being the other 240,
    Last edited by John Vanlandingham; 06-09-2016 at 09:52 AM.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat