Special Stage Forums banner

Any local rally series?

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  rallysmurf 
#1 ·
I just moved to northern NM and have been looking for a local rally series but haven't found one. I want to build a car sometime soon so wanted to comply with required specs for a local series... If there is no series here to race in I'll probably just build something sweet and race myself/my friends.

#2 · (Edited)
Nothing "local'. Only place that has a "local" series is California with its curiously named California rally Series" which has a set of class rules that has to differ from everybody elses' in the entire world..(remember we are all unique snowflakes)... Nearest thing might be AZ or Colorado Hillclimb..

You have probably millions of miles of empty roads..build something SIMPLE and reliable---I know from my off road motorcycle days you can get awfully long hike home in not very minutes of fun driving...Like a couple of days hike easy..
Go with friends, tell other friend where you are, use your head (and that includes what you choose to build), pe brepared..water, take GOOD Jeep Tug Straps, spare tires..MAPS! MORE WATER

Have fun, beautiful country there.

#3 ·
Check with the Albuquerque SCCA. I know they race and Solo. I think they may have RallyCross. There used to be a good rally in Colorado south of Denver but too many ranchettes popped up along the roads. john is correct though that there is not a local rally series any where close to you. You may want to consider Jeeping or off-road racing.

#4 ·
I wouldn't worry too much about a series. Other than some fairly simple (but important) differences in car prep rules between sanctioning bodies that with a little planning can all be met with one car, the only real differences are where the breakpoints are for displacement and sometimes weight. The level of competition at a given is event is way more dependent on who shows up than precisely where that breakpoint is. Depending on exactly where you are, the closest rally to you is probably the Prescott Rally in AZ (usually the first weekend in October). Next closest is probably Seed 9 near Las Vegas, followed by Desert Storm which is about an hour and a half west of Phoenix. After that it could be either the Idaho Rally or Rally in the 100 Acre Wood, or some of the SoCal rallies. So, not many rallies nearby, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who at least occasionally compete that live in the area.

But, as JVL mentioned, there are some hillclimb events in Colorado (Colorado Hill Climb Association) and just last year the hillclimb near Clifton, AZ was restarted.

--
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.