Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class

100 K right 2

Default Mark 4 VW 1.8T GTi Build - RallyCross - MF Class

This will begin my build thread, for my 2005 Volkswagen Mark 4 Golf GTi 1.8T. I will be building it for SCCA RallyCross, in the Modified Front wheel drive class. This will be a slow build, piece by piece, as budget allows. But you have to start the thread sometime. No time like the present.

Car history; Insurance totaled, but with a rebuild-able Florida title. The Performance shop I go to bought it, and parted it out; and was going to send the shell to the wrecking yard for scrap.

I picked up the rolling chassis for $250.00, with another $200 for the needed D.S. fender, hood, radiator support, front bumper supports, and all associated needed hardware to make it look like a Mk. 4 GTi again.

Since the interior was already stripped out, I decided to go all out and do a MF build, instead of a PF; as there was no longer back seats, or any trim pieces in the interior.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 2

Stage One:

Needed to get the rolling chassis to be complete, so I could start making a hit list of what was actually needed for doing a true RallyCross build.

Between hanging around the shop, and perusing their on-line eBay store, I was able to pick up the following for a clean $600.

Mk. 4 BBK from the Jetta GLi/20thAE/337 cars. Actually uses the same caliper, but has a larger caliper bracket that allows for bigger rotors, and is strengthend over the standard piece. This gives me 1.2" bigger rotors, and also allows me to keep my stock calipers as spares.

Set of four Ronal 17" x 7.5" wheels from an Audi TT. Needed to clear the bigger brakes.

Smoked Mk. 4 tail light housings (Stocks had been stripped prior to sale).

Mk. 4 Upper rear interior stress bar, between shock towers.

Momo Millennium steering wheel, with quick release hub.

Kamei badgeless grill (needed replacement from the initial accident).

I was also able to work a deal for the already mounted EuroJet FMIC, which the shop was going to remove and sell on their eBay site. $150.00 for an $800 retail kit, was a performance deal I could not pass up. Initially I was going to not worry about an FMIC because of the retail costs, but with Florida heat, and the fact the RX season goes through spring and summer here, it makes sense to at that price.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Are your local rallycrosses on dirt/grass/sand?

You better slow down and ask people more.
    17" wheels? Better re-think that is the events are on grass/dirt/gravel.
    Gravel tires typically are no larger than 15"---and 65cm max diameter is why.
    I'm a big fan of brakes, but gotta get them under 15s..

Will the car be a rally-cross plaything forever or is there any thoughts lurking about eventually making it a Stage rally car.. makes a difference.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 2

Stage Two:

Found a second set of the Audi TT Ronal 17" x 7.5" wheels on local Craigslist, for $150. Had both sets stripped and cleaned. Going to have them powder coated Gloss White in an homage to my original dream car, the Audi Sport Quattro S1.

As I am on a strict budget for this build, and it is not Stage rallying (SCCA, RA, or NASA); I cheaped out on the seats. But I need seats so I can start with the roll cage stage and other interior ideas rolling around my head.

Back to the Craigslist searching. Found an old Recaro SRD in good condition for $75.00, and a Sparco for $60.00. I still need sliders and brackets for both, so if anyone has info or leads on where to source these parts for out of production seats, I would be most obliged.

Purchased a front upper stress bar, along with new HD mounting hardware for the upper strut mounts. Found one on clearance at ECS tuning, as the Mk. 4 chassis is now over a decade old for even the last year (05'). $75.00 for everything, including FedEx shipping to the door.

Started with the obligatory application of decals/stickers, to make myself feel better about the expenditures. Because... Racecar...
    Last edited by DanielSL; 05-04-2016 at 11:42 AM.

100 K right 2

Quote Originally Posted by John Vanlandingham View Post
    Are your local rallycrosses on dirt/grass/sand?

You better slow down and ask people more.
    17" wheels? Better re-think that is the events are on grass/dirt/gravel.
    Gravel tires typically are no larger than 15"---and 65cm max diameter is why.
    I'm a big fan of brakes, but gotta get them under 15s..

Will the car be a rally-cross plaything forever or is there any thoughts lurking about eventually making it a Stage rally car.. makes a difference.

John;

Already have e-mails in to you about shocks / suspension questions.

Our entire Central Florida Region schedule is done at one site, about 10 miles away from my home. Makes things easier logistically.

Course is changed multiple times through the season, but location is always sand / dirt.

Majority of the competitive cars in Prepared and Modified are running Firestone WinterForce tires, so I was planning on starting there for one set of wheels. For the other, I will get the gravel tires from Rally.Build, as they have the 17" size.

I was also planning on picking up a set of Sparco Terras in 16", if they will work on the brakes. Have to test fit. If they fit, those wheels will be mounted with something for true tarmac, as much more is available in 16".

I may build it for SCCA / NASA stage rallying at a later date, but for at least 2-3 years it will be RallyCross only.

These guys have a bracket for seats:

http://www.425motorsports.com/plante...passenger.html

You'd then need whatever is required for the seat to mount to it (not sure if the ones you have are side mount, etc). I almost used that style but went with the weld-in type instead:

http://www.murraymotorsport.com/prod...ng-weld-in-kit

Where are the pics? A build thread isn't a build thread without pics!
    Last edited by Mudhen; 05-05-2016 at 07:52 AM.

Do you have a link to these 17" gravel rally tires? I'd like to see this.
    Scott
    Team Harco Motorsports
    "Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

100 K right 2

Mudhen;

Thanks for the links. If these can be made to work with sliders, at least for drivers side, they may work for my need.

What part of Maine are you located in? I did my first two years of College in the early 90's up at Biddeford, at UNE. Still go up for vacation to York, to Cape Neddick every year.

Cannot post photos, as my posting permission says I cannot post attachments. Must be too low of a post count right now, as I am a new member.
    Last edited by DanielSL; 05-05-2016 at 08:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielSL View Post
    Mudhen;

What part of Maine are you located in? I did my first two years of College in the early 90's up at Biddeford, at UNE. Still go up for vacation to York, to Cape Neddick every year.

Cannot post photos, as my posting permission says I cannot post attachments. Must be too low of a post count right now, as I am a new member.
    UNE, nice! I was at St Joe's in the early 90s, so not too far from there. I'm in Eliot now, right next to York. Weird about the pics - I'm new here as well...seems like it would let me. Write less, post more! :-)