Hello from Watertown, NY/Fairbanks, AK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Watertown, NY/Fairbanks, AK

100 K left 2

Default Hello from Watertown, NY/Fairbanks, AK

I'm currently in upstate NY but will be moving to AK in a few months. I'm hoping to buy my first rallycross project car when I get to AK. I joined to soak up all the knowledge I can from this forum and maybe come across some parts or even a car to buy in the future!

I also currently have a 2016 STi that I like to play with on the dirt roads and make-shift track I have at the house. I'm looking to do some modifications to it that are more geared toward rally-type performance as opposed to the lowered/extreme-cambered/street scene that people have been moving towards with these cars (unfortunately). If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to chime in!

I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from you all!

Thank you!
    -Kody

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

I'd say pick up a nice old MkI Legacy when you get there for cheap and bang in some fun later motor, do rust repair*, strengthen, stitch weld the towers to the car front and rear and have some fun.

IF you are convinced like 85% of the noobs on this forum that there is only ONE brand of car that you could ever have fun with.

As a side note---if you are interested in rally---eventually---why move to someplace where the nearest event is 2000+ miles away in Alberta?

* just a fact of life in LosAnchorage..TONS of salt dumped everywhere (probably use so much as a result of some Republican kick back scandal that was done low bid but no limit....Can't think of any other reason to use so much salt..)
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

100 K left 2

Because I currently own a Subaru, does not mean that I only will build/race a Subaru. I am in the process of buying a non-Subaru car at the moment to rally.

To your side note, I'm in the Army. I'm not moving to chase a rally dream. Don't really have much of a say in where I'll be living.

To add on to that, there are a lot of motorsport events in the Fairbanks area.

*Thanks for noob bashing and making awesome assumptions right off the bat

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

400 flat to crest

Quote Originally Posted by km77 View Post
    Because I currently own a Subaru, does not mean that I only will build/race a Subaru. I am in the process of buying a non-Subaru car at the moment to rally.

To your side note, I'm in the Army. I'm not moving to chase a rally dream. Don't really have much of a say in where I'll be living.

To add on to that, there are a lot of motorsport events in the Fairbanks area.

*Thanks for noob bashing and making awesome assumptions right off the bat

Hey Sgt Rock, if you think poking at what is an established worn out cliche is BASHING, give up now..

Because there will be a lot worse things in your future and you better store up all the ego protection you can.

A funny thing I see with guys who fail before they start is ---aside from the YUUUUUUUUGE chip on the shoulder and instant readiness to take offense---and whine about it (you can see why i thought you were a dyed-in-the-wool Subie Fan Boi can't ya?) is they don't know how to communicate..

And they think there is some advantage or some thing to be gained by allusions..
    For example, you could have siad which/what car you were thinking about getting...
    Maybe its a deal..Some of use have done motorsports for a few years or decades and while we're not too good at holding the hands of noobs, we know what the road to perdition looks like...

But whatever we be nuthing but a bunch of pogues, we can't even tell when

" If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to chime in!"

means If anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to chime in!.

One reccomendation:
    Loose the big chip on the shoulder..In this world you're a not even a noob yet....understand?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

100 K left 2

I don't think pointing out the fact that I do not fall into your stereotypes is ego protection.

I believe establishing an account on this form shows the willingness and ability to communicate. I do not understand why all these assumptions are being made?

I do appreciate the advice you put out in your first post. The first sentence would have been sufficient but you continued on to group all noobs together. It would be the way you say things. I'm not one to get hurt by words, trust me, I have to deal with a new generation that needs a safe place at work every day. But, for me to come back at what you said, and then you get defensive over it... Come on brother.

I'm not looking for hand holding, so I'm sorry if I came off in such a way.

I asked for recommendations. If anyone has recommendations, I am willing to take all the advice that I can get. Like I said before, I appreciated the advice you put out in your first line. Everything after that, I really didn't need. Don't think it's too necessary. But hey, thanks for that too.

I do apologize that I may have came back a little hard or with a "chip on my shoulder". (the... office?... was a little stressful today. Wasn't the type of response I was looking for on the first reply to a post on a new forum.) I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or get your blood pumping too much. But if you're willing to get a little confrontational, don't be upset or surprised if someone else comes back the same.

Trust me, I realize that I know very little in this world of yours. That's why this account was made. I hope you feel powerful with your knowledge... understood.

*Believe it would be P.O.Gs - Persons Other than Grunts*

Don't mind the bark from John. Like many forums, there's always the "noobs" that come in and want to do all the things that everyone recommends against. Here, that's "I've got Subaru WRX/STI, how do I rally it ON A BUDGET?!" and after so many times it's hard to have a catered response. I think he sees noob and STI and just goes red and doesn't read anything else (no offense John!).

In any case welcome to the forum! If you're looking for Rallycross recommendations, just about any stock car will work to do rallycross, some are better than others (sentra, neon, golf). For rallycross and especially stage rally , think about when things break, something that has a lot of support and parts availability is a plus, unless you just like spending money (some do). Unique is cool, but not cost effective, and not something you want for your first car.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but please be specific!
    Good place to get started: Rally University

400 flat to crest

Quote Originally Posted by dunhamr1 View Post
    Don't mind the bark from John. Like many forums, there's always the "noobs" that come in and want to do all the things that everyone recommends against. Here, that's "I've got Subaru WRX/STI, how do I rally it ON A BUDGET?!" and after so many times it's hard to have a catered response. I think he sees noob and STI and just goes red and doesn't read anything else (no offense John!).

In any case welcome to the forum! If you're looking for Rallycross recommendations, just about any stock car will work to do rallycross, some are better than others (sentra, neon, golf). For rallycross and especially stage rally , think about when things break, something that has a lot of support and parts availability is a plus, unless you just like spending money (some do). Unique is cool, but not cost effective, and not something you want for your first car.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but please be specific!

I don't go red at all. For a long time, after seeing 1 in 10 do anything its just "Hi. Yeah, uh huh, yeah yeah whad evar... Yepp.." and a big

And of course I read everything..I am eternally optimistic.. You never know when somebody is just talkin or they actually follow thru...
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

400 flat to crest

Quote Originally Posted by km77 View Post
    I don't think pointing out the fact that I do not fall into your stereotypes is ego protection.

I believe establishing an account on this form shows the willingness and ability to communicate. I do not understand why all these assumptions are being made?

I do appreciate the advice you put out in your first post. The first sentence would have been sufficient but you continued on to group all noobs together. It would be the way you say things. I'm not one to get hurt by words, trust me, I have to deal with a new generation that needs a safe place at work every day. But, for me to come back at what you said, and then you get defensive over it... Come on brother.

I'm not looking for hand holding, so I'm sorry if I came off in such a way.

I asked for recommendations. If anyone has recommendations, I am willing to take all the advice that I can get. Like I said before, I appreciated the advice you put out in your first line. Everything after that, I really didn't need. Don't think it's too necessary. But hey, thanks for that too.

I do apologize that I may have came back a little hard or with a "chip on my shoulder". (the... office?... was a little stressful today. Wasn't the type of response I was looking for on the first reply to a post on a new forum.) I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or get your blood pumping too much. But if you're willing to get a little confrontational, don't be upset or surprised if someone else comes back the same.

Trust me, I realize that I know very little in this world of yours. That's why this account was made. I hope you feel powerful with your knowledge... understood.

*Believe it would be P.O.Gs - Persons Other than Grunts*
    The spelling is somewhat "flexible" .
    The greatest writer on the subject of my generation, Gustav Hasford seemed to prefer "poges".
    You familiar with Hasford's work? Should be required reading.

Now a final word.
    IF you look at the first response I said and capitalised to stress things..the IF was a "conditional" clause.. IF you are convinced like 85% of the noobs........"

Just like that above is a conditional IF..

WE/I collectively have no idea at that point IF you are convinced like 85% of the noobs........", but IF you weren't/aren't then what follows a conditional clause does not apply to you...

Sorta like if one comes to the door of a bar and says loudly "Hey Asshole!"...
    If that's not who ya are then it doesn't apply to you..Keep drinkin..
    But don't complain to me if you turn and answer "Yes?"

And all this typie-typie and you still haven't said what you are negotiating to get and ultimate usage..

As the nice Mr Dunham above says, anything that runs will do fine in Grass-o-cross...
    But if one has longer term evil intent and maybe is thinking begin with grass-o-cross and progressively build a car up---thereby spreading the financial pain out---then what to get becomes more critical...and the choice of cars up in Alaska is definitely limited--and often thrashed to rat-shit..

Anyway, remember, just like all military, there is a hierarchy in specialty interest groups...in my book a noob is somebody who has only done 5-6 rallies... What do we call others? Pre-noobs? "Emerging noobs" what?
    I know what I heard long ago but a young sergeant told me last year "we can't say stuff like that to kiddies anymore, it'll hurt their feelings and they'll pout"..we were told something about whales and what whales do and what is the lowest form of life in the world... You know the routine? I always thought it was funny.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

As Ryan pointed out, jvl does not speak for all of us or even the great majority. Although he occasionally drops some good points, I fear that is just proving the old statement that even a blind pig can find an acorn or 2.

Alaska region of the SCCA does put on road rallies. These can help a driver and co-driver get used to the communication needed between themselves. They also have Solo events.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardM View Post
    Alaska region of the SCCA does put on road rallies. These can help a driver and co-driver get used to the communication needed between themselves. They also have Solo events.
    +1 On road rallies, I started doing road rallies before I started codriving in stage rally. It definitely helps the communication in the car, and for me navigating on transits. The other thing is that many stage rally people do road rallies, you may run into a few whom you can pick their brain and ask them questions.
    Good place to get started: Rally University