OpenLight Rebuild / repair plans - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenLight Rebuild / repair plans

100 oversquare right

Grant, I didn't think the 20kg was to deal with power, i thought it was just for handling .

with the rear viscous i notice there's a slight lag time where it feels like 1 tire spins and then it locks up . mostly just when i'm in 1st gear around really tight corners, stand on the gas and initially the car just goes wide but then you can feel the rear lock up and the rear end will slide more. maybe that's Due to something else, but i'm certain that when you are in a tight corner you don't feel the throttle over-steer for a second or two ..

at the time the setup was OBX front torsen, Stock center, Viscous Rear (out of a WRX, but i believe all Subaru rear viscous diffs are the same?)

Additionally, playing with my STI (center on auto , Vs open Vs locked) i do notice that with the center locked , a bit of weight transfer (forward) and the car is very easy to flick into a drift and fairly easy to control that drift, that's what i was hoping to do to Betsy ..

Still i'm not sure if a 20kg center would get me where i want to be, fairly sure i can get one shipped for $800 though ... hmmmm

well i have lots of time, this is not gonna be a quick rebuild... hehehe

thinking about this more.. ya if i just switch from the viscous rear to a platted rear that lag time should go away right? hmmmf
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

You have to really aggressively toss a 20kg equipped car around... precisely what you shouldn't be doing in an underpowered car. The 20kg is all about getting consistent handling performance combined with forward grip, which requires a fairly heavy handed driving style.

I don't think one is necessary in a open light car. I don't even know if I would worry about a front lsd myself, it really changes the handling of the car. Rear is definitely a good idea though.
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

100 oversquare right

Good point to think about Adam. I drove Burkes car that i believe was equiped with a 1.5 plated front, a 20kg center and a 1.5 or 2-way rear, and i didn't like it, for exactly the reasons you are stating. car would understeer unless you really threw it into corners and treated the gas like an on/off switch (not how i like to drive) .

with time i bet i'de get a lot better, but i felt like i would have way less precision than what i had at the time (which was a FWD impreza with a torsen front)

Welker had (or has) a Welded center but i've never driven or ridden in his car , so no clue to as to how his handled.

Ideally i'd like my car to be setup to be slightly understeerish at the limit, but with the correct Differential setup that at low speeds i can throttle oversteer (like i can with my stock STI - yes way different animal)

my STI is a torsen front, DCCD , Mechanical rear. which is where i got the idea that my rally car should also be Torsen front, 20kg center, and mechanical rear. cause i really like the handling on my STI on the dirt. its a lot of fun.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

50 caution yump

1.5 way front, stock center, 1.5 rear if you want that feeling.
    #542 - 1991 Subaru Legacy Open Class

100 oversquare right

Quote Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
    1.5 way front, stock center, 1.5 rear if you want that feeling.
    Thanks