Question about selection of tires.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about selection of tires.

Default Question about selection of tires.

My local rally is mostly gravel/dirt stages and I am build my 99 Civic EX to rally there in a couple years. Now since my civic is only making 127-130 BHP do I need to buy proper rally gravel tires or could I get away with some A/T.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 2

definetly some proper rally tires, i had some worn tires at my first event (100 aw this last weekend) and it was horrendous. Granted the tires were older than most of the cars at 100 acre wood. But having decent tires will at least let you decide how fast you want to go as opposed to driving at the limits of the tires all the time for your first event.

Cool thanks where can I buy Gravel tires? Im trying to put a budget together however im having a hard time finding proper tires.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 K right 2

what size are you looking for? if you are looking for R15 then look for take offs from other rally teams. If you are looking for R14 then overseas will have okay selection. I found some maxxis r19 for 4 tires = 600 shipped to usa.

100 oversquare right

google around , uhm

http://www.dmacktyresusa.com/

http://shop.maxxis.com/c/automotive_victra-r19

http://www.libraracing.com/rallytires.htm

http://www.rockymtnautosports.com/black-rocket/

there are more, but that's all i can think of, off the top of my head.

the black rockets I think are the cheapest (real) rally tire, and the Michilens are the best by grip level (and most expensive)
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....

So on those Black rockets they say they dont recommend them for stage rallies but since I am running such a low HP would it matter? As a matter of fact I am thinking of participating in the 100 acre wood I live quite close.

Well I dont have any wheels yet but I would probably go with 15s.

100 K right 2

Quote Originally Posted by Justintime View Post
    Well I dont have any wheels yet but I would probably go with 15s.
    if going with 15's its probably best to get some used take offs from subaru guys. Trust me they have a lot of used tires that would be in good enough shape to start with.

check out north american rally for sale on facebook there are some on there. Also at 100acre wood a lot of people offered me 15's for cheap, but i have 14's

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by koolaid View Post
    if going with 15's its probably best to get some used take offs from subaru guys. Trust me they have a lot of used tires that would be in good enough shape to start with.

check out north american rally for sale on facebook there are some on there. Also at 100acre wood a lot of people offered me 15's for cheap, but i have 14's
    This being Merikuh, that means its the land of BIGGER is ALWAYS Better. And the land of Walter Mitty, too. BIG Dreams, too
    Combine the atural Merikun tendency to inflate things out of all reasonable proportion and Walter Mittyesque blurring of dreams and reality and the vast majority of people --especially most of the Subaru gang---buy tires too big....too big for their heavier cars..But hey they saw the million dollar budget guys useing the fattest tire, that must be good, right?

For a mild little old Honda I'd get the closest thing I could to Michelin's wonderful old 14-62 x 15 ---or if i had to use 14" closest to Michelin's great 14-60 x 14
    That's roughly equivalent to no more than about 175/70 x15..

So that means no used Subie tires...

Also it is just flat bizarre that the importer of Black Rocket has confused things enough to say "they dont recommend them for stage rallies" considering that is exactly what they are made from, and made for and work just fine in use--I say this as former Black Rocket North America importer..We used them up here in PNW roads with nasty crushed volcanic rock (not really gravel) and in summer.. Worked virtually indistinguishable from Michelin 14-62 x 15 in a very good spec VW Golf driven by Derek Bottles--who did Over-all top 5 results...(beating all but a couple of the convoy of identical Subarus)

Tires are important and personally I'd prefer a GOOD used 14-62 x 15 to ANYTHING (except a new 14-62 x 15)..

But NOW is not the time for you to be worried about this..
    Cage and suspension is where all efforts should be..

Tires once the car is done..
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

100 oversquare right

I proudly ran 165/65/R13's for a long time. if 14's clear your brakes and you can buy cheap new 14's (black rocket rally) seems like a good starting point to me. esp if on a low hp vehicle.

and Yes, please focus on the required scrutineering checklist first + suspension. I'd target something like i dunno JVAB suspension or in that price range. do a few events and see if there is something missing that would add a lot of fun.
    Welcome to Rally Addicts anonymous! Hi I'm Alex Rademacher, and i have a Rally problem..... 23 rallies and counting....