New to rally! First car?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to rally! First car?

100 K left 2

Default New to rally! First car?

Hi everyone! Noob here. I've been hooked on rally for quite some time now and have been looking all over the internet and through these forums through many nights. Anyways, I've seen a ton on starting with fwd or rwd instead of awd, and how its near impossible to build a car for under about $8k, and so on. I have a bit of a unique situation here - my friend has an 98 audi a4 v6 quattro 5 spd. Its got 200k on the clock now, and needs catalytic converters and is leaking oil. We've talked about it and I'm thinking he'd be willing to let it go for around $500. Now its awd, its an audi so parts are pricey, and I'm on a very very tight budget (full time college student). What I'm thinking is ill buy it, put some new seals in the engine, strip it out and add seats/belts when I can. Weld in support bars where I can and do what I can to make it a little faster. Basically it would just be a way for me to get out there and start driving. I don't mean stage rally yet, I mean rallyx and a few farms I have access too (one has a small course on it) and maybe even the occasional autox. I would want it to be street legal so I could drive it on my breaks from school since my other car will be there. What input does everyone have on this? I don't plan on attempting stage rally in this car unless its been through hell in a few other places. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

100 oversquare right bentmettle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haines1100 View Post
    ... I have a bit of a unique situation here....and I'm on a very very tight budget (full time college student). ... What input does everyone have on this?

Greetings and welcome.

You have the same unique situation that everyone else has.

When will you be done with school and able to work and build the financial base you'll need to feed a race car of any sort?

100 K left 2

Quote Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post

When will you be done with school and able to work and build the financial base you'll need to feed a race car of any sort?
    I'm looking at 3 more years of school but a few semesters will probably be part time.. but then there will be student loans. I guess I'm looking at 3 years until I can develop a decent budget for a car, which I know most suggest to buy already built.
    My goal right now is really just to have something I can throw around. I'd prefer a bulletproof engine (volvo, bmw, etc) because I'll probably be grabbing something with high miles. I had an 82 240 wagon for awhile but the plastics and wiring were so fragile Ill be avoiding something that old as best as i can

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Those Audi V6 and V8 motors are horribly expensive to do the simplest things..and if neglected they become a nightmare quick..Waterpump and seals is a LOT of work. I've watched the whole process, whole front of the car off..
    They DO go good but its a car for a rich person, not a broke ass student.....
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

your other left, you idiot

Welcome to the looney bin.

Read all the stickies.

Go to a/some rally/rallies. Work/volunteer/crew. Learn how things work. Hook up with some of us.

STAY IN SCHOOL !

Have fun.

press on,
    just a poor, dumb, Michigan(now Wisconsin) navie
    KC8YHT
    jimmy

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Wasn't sufficiently emphatic in tone..Multiple things lead to the big rubber band that runs the cams--all 4 spread all over to jump off the huge idler--which is the water pump pulley..same belt for far too many things..When it jumps and it WILL HAPPEN..

each of the 24 or 32 valves that bend as a reult cost about $37-39 each..You're the college student, use what they're teaching you in the math classes you should be taking.

Then use what you should be learning about logic in the philosphy classes you should be taking.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

100 K left 2

Thanks for the replies everyone.I think I'll stay away from the audi as a beater.. I wanted to have something with a stronger engine but thinking maybe that's not the way to go? Would my best option be to just grab a $700 5spd sentra/tercel and call it a day? I plan on working crew and viewing as many rallies as possible.

100 K right 2

Watch the classifieds here and look for something already built. /$.02

100 K left 2

I don't think I can run a built car yet is what I mean. I mean to an extent but it has to be drivable to the races. I'm also going to daily it for awhile before it does anything other than rallycross. Going to look at a 93 bmw 318i with 80k on it this week

100 K left 2

Why don't pay a visit to of the rallies and check out what kinds of cars people race with? Honda Civic is not a bad car to start from, and cheap to build. Or even a FWD Toyota Corolla will make a good starter car.