Special Stage Forums banner

Fix My List, My Open Light 2.5RS

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  A1337STI 
#1 ·
Hello!
I’m starting to build my 2000 2.5rs for RA open light. I’m new to rally, but im capable enough to drive off the road. I am hoping to complete by Mt Hood.
I have a partial idea of what needs to be done and I am hoping for some input/suggestions for parts, and to complete my list which I am certain is missing key components.
I will continue to research on my own to find the answers, but if you know of a good part/solution to any listed items I’d love to hear your opinion.
Links to forum posts that I can read to would be great. Please preface with “use the search tool jackass” as is customary.
Also, YUP means I have it or it is on the way.

(TO DO) (GOT IT) (PART/SOURCE)

ROLL CAGE -YUP- RaceTech Portland
SEATS -YUP- Sparco Circuit II, Sparco Evo 3
HARDNESS -YUP- SABELT 6 PT
WHEELS - Method? 501vs502, Team Dynamic, Braid
TIRE, SIZE? - 205 vs 195-60R15, 15"x6(vs7)"wheels with +48, +15 offset? Susp Geometry? Why?
STEARING WHEEL - NRG,OMP, MOMO 350MM? 330mm? Quick Release
BRAKES - ABS DELETE,plumbing diagram?CALIPERS?BIAS?
HAND BRAKE - ties in how?
SUSPENSION - JVAB,AWD? Others? $2500ish
HANS - HANS sport 3?
SKID PLATES - Primitive
CO-DRIVER LIGHT - HELLA 90mm Daylight running lamp? X2? :p
INTERCOM SYSTEM - Peltor FMT120 Intercom
TIMING COMPUTER -YUP- timewise 547B, where to put the probe?
LIGHT BAR MOUNT - Bar vs where you get fiberglass kit?
LIGHTS - Soltek Fuego 4
HOOD SCOOP - Primitive?
CUTOFF SWITCH - Longacre Cutoff Switch
SUIT - used? IM 6'2" 220# 36W 34IN
BOOTS - used? 11
GLOVES - used?
GROUP N MTR MNTS - necessary?
BATTERY? - maybe later, smaller?
FIRST AID KIT -
SPILL KIT -
WINDOW BREAKER -
SEATBELT CUTTER -
LEXAN WINDOWS -
SWITCH PANEL? -
OIL GAUGES -
ALL THE STUFF I AM MISSING...

I’ll update the list with any ideas people suggest. Plus any other 2 cents you have bouncing around your brain related to car building I would love to hear.
Thanks!
Gierman

See less See more
#3 ·
Love how the forum format completely trashes excel formatting.

Well, instead of 3 lists ill just go one at a time! :)

Brakes! I'm trying to figure out how to run my brake lines. Currently the car has ABS and I need to run the new brake lines after ABS delete.
I'd like to have a hand brake and brake bias. Anyone have a diagram on how they ran their brake lines?
Suggestions on rear drum/rotor replacement? Or just pull the drum crap out and run it as-is? (With hydraulic handbrake of course)

Thanks,

Gierman

P.S.
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn158/Jestrin08/20160219_204602.jpg
yuk

#5 ·
Welcome to the looney bin.

Read the stickies.
Don't believe everything JVL tells you (or any of the rest of us...).

Go out and work a rally (volunteer, crew, tech, etc.).
Have you been to a rally?

Remember, we are here to have fun. Mostly we are just racing for plastic trophies.

press on,

#6 ·
Thanks,
Yeah stickies, I'm working on it.
I volunteered for Mt. Hood rally last year. Hoping to get the car done this year for Mt Hood.
I need to get on rallydata and volunteer for for Oregon Trail.
Last time I was a road block expert, actually it was a bike trail, but I had to stop like 15 people.
Good for spectating but I might try for something else this time.

Heymagic, yeah Primitive is probably my best bet. I just work the exact hours they work. I'll have to take some time off to go harass them.

Also, who is JVL? I use http://www.jvlusa.com/ motors at work sometimes...

HAHA... I kid obviously, he is ubiquitous.

#7 ·
Thanks for volunteering! It is a good idea to move around a bit to learn the different facets of our sport. You're more than welcome to help at Olympus also , I think our volunteer base is about to open on Rally Data also.

Gene McCullough
Olympus co-chair
RA western tech supervisor
NASA western scrutineer

#10 ·
Gene, I'll definitely volunteer for Olympus if i can.
You seem like the Log Book origination sort of fellow.
If so, quick questions. Is the dash bar okay to leave stock? It seems pretty beefy, and I didn't see anything in FIA 253 about dash bar. Also, does RA have a supplementary rule set for cages?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1-amsxMvBpEY3pwR1JhVXFlbEU/view?usp=sharing

Dave, how would you go about acquiring such a document from said Randy?

#13 ·
What i did (could have been a horrible plan !) Was i only focused on what i needed to pass safety inspection, and nothing else, until i got that log book and completed rally #1.

Required by Tech inspection :
-----------------
RollCage
Seats
Belts
Helmet
Suit (could borrow)
Hans (could borrow)
Street legality (lights, exhaust, blinkers, horn)
spill Kit
first Aid kit
Tow Hooks
Fire extinguishers

Items you will pass tech with out, BUT will greatly increase your chances of finishing :
-------------
rally odometer
SKID PLATES
Rally tires (6 -8 total) can be used
Rally suspension (JVAB or all wheels driven .net at a minimum) -- If you can't afford these, do 1-2 events with out, then save up for them
Intercom
navigator light (my navis used a head lamp)

Items that increase comfort
---------------
Roof Vent
cool suit <-- HUGE if things actually get hot ... way more value add then lexan /

Items to increase performance (do these dead last , after a few rallies, or a few dozen.. or never)
----------------------------
Exhaust
Cams (motor)
Intake (motor)
Ecu / tuning
GEARING <-- beyond an outback transmission or a really great price on a JDM RA trans , these are typically cost prohibitive
Light weight items (any)

Items that would be fun but you should just ignore for a while
----------------
LEXAN Windows you might save 5 pounds per window . JDM bumper beam would save you more pounds for less cost .
light weight battery
hydraulic E-brake
CUTOFF SWITCH (you have one, its called the ignition) (might be required at RA national events, or even regionals now??)

TIRES, don't go with 205s, or even 195s, too big for the HP you have

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.