Fiesta - yeah, another one
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fiesta - yeah, another one

100 oversquare right bentmettle's Avatar

Default Fiesta - yeah, another one

Building a Fiesta ST...very approximate plan is mostly stock + suspension + bits modeled after M-Sport R2

Friend sends me an email...and this wasn't the first one, but it's the one that finally cajoled me.

That car went for about $4k - I thought it was too expensive, so I kept looking...

This one hit my price point, but it has significantly more damage. Online, it's a roll of the dice on what exactly is damaged.

Both frame rails are bent from the impact, broken tie rod, and everything in the front end module is smashed.

It's a salvage title, so the first order of business is to get it road worthy and get it re-titled as rebuilt, then we can do the rally prep.

Once the bumper beam is out of there, you can see it took a pretty good wack. 2014 is the first year the Fiesta passed small frontal overlap impact tests. Anecdotal evidence suggest the left side structure is modified from 2013, and based on this, it sure moves a lot.

Andrew and some buddies spent a couple of hours and peeled off the bad, and pulled a bit on the frame with prybars. This is our starting point.
    Last edited by bentmettle; 02-03-2016 at 11:39 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Awesome!!!
    Gone to Group 5 Rear Wheel Drive!!! Car #50

I'll catch you if I can!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Herman...am/49931201369

So you'll have it ready for 100AW, right?

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
    So you'll have it ready for 100AW, right?
    Maybe possible?

My target is to start with a similar build level as the Jetta. I think the car should make similar power to the Jetta.

The gearbox may be a little longer and less rally-rific stock, but for all practical purposes, it'll be mostly fine.

Going to run the B-spec AC delete pulley. $100 well spent to avoid mucking about with belts or building your own idler.

Andrew is going to try to get the engine out this weekend. I'll order an overpriced bumper cover and hood - brother Marc can get someone local to shoot paint on the new metal.

Seems likely that we'll also enlist the help of a body shop to get the horns replaced. I *could* do it, but it will cause a big delay since the car is several states away from me.

Could get it all knocked out by the end of the month with some effort?

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I was only kidding, but you sound motivated. Hope to see it soon.

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by bentmettle View Post
    Maybe possible?

My target is to start with a similar build level as the Jetta. I think the car should make similar power to the Jetta.

The gearbox may be a little longer and less rally-rific stock, but for all practical purposes, it'll be mostly fine.

Going to run the B-spec AC delete pulley. $100 well spent to avoid mucking about with belts or building your own idler.

Andrew is going to try to get the engine out this weekend. I'll order an overpriced bumper cover and hood - brother Marc can get someone local to shoot paint on the new metal.

Seems likely that we'll also enlist the help of a body shop to get the horns replaced. I *could* do it, but it will cause a big delay since the car is several states away from me.

Could get it all knocked out by the end of the month with some effort?

That'd be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong extention cord fo the welder...
    Given any thought to grafting in some Golf rear towers?
    Those buggers like so many modern cars have a really short rear sprang and like half a Golf rear turret would make rear coilovers a snap...
    But stock position seems like a nightmare to get any ajustability and spring travel out of...
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Modifying the body in any significant way isn't part of the plan right now. The main obstacle local club guys face to being competitive is being poorly prepared for events, and vehicles that have bizzaro reliability and development problems.

The primary competitive issues I've heard with the platform have to do with keeping the CVs happy, and on the ST, a cooling deficiency. I suppose the IB6 gearbox is a bit of a question mark on stage, especially if we remap the ECU a bit.

Overall, I'm willing to give up a bit of suspension performance for the convenience of less development work as long as the end result is reliable and fun to drive.

My vision for summer fun is riding dirtbikes in our local enduro series and dabbling back in rally with a low maintenance car.

They got the engine popped out yesterday to let them Focus (ha ha) on the body repair. The unexpected wiring harness damage is going to be a bit of a PITA to deal with. There is someone selling harnesses on Ebay, but I am going to see if I can repair this one first.

Can't wait to chase you! Good luck on the build!
    Gone to Group 5 Rear Wheel Drive!!! Car #50

I'll catch you if I can!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Herman...am/49931201369

So we are progressing very slowly and bit the bullet and just delivered the shell to a local guy to get the body pulled.

Not sure what kind of time frame that'll take.

Spent some time at 100AW trying out seats and came to the conclusion that I'm marginally too big for most anything Sparco makes and should have spent a bit more time trying out the OMP seats.