'05 evo 8 mr - springs for bilsteins (or other) - off road use - non competitive

Thread: '05 evo 8 mr - springs for bilsteins (or other) - off road use - non competitive

Default '05 evo 8 mr - springs for bilsteins (or other) - off road use - non competitive

My situation is this. My current car is an 05 evo 8 mr with some go fast bits. It currently has some springs on it that dropped the ride height (came on car unfortunately)

I am looking to have some offroad fun with it at this point. Nothing competitive but obviously when driving random found roads, conditions can be, shall we say unpredictable. I am just looking to do a couple things to start i.e. skid plate, tires, suspension, Other stuff down the line.

My main question is this, I am obviously forced to change at least my springs, if I was on the stock Bilsteins and MR springs I would just roll with that because it's a decent setup for some fun. However, since I do in fact need to change the springs should I just get another set of stock MR springs to go back on or should I look at something else? Should I be ditching the Bilsteins? At this point I am not concerned with road worthiness as I have another car to drive.

Thanks for the info

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Spectator Wrangler Bruce Beauvais's Avatar

I've always been happy with Bilsteins for almost any use. When I first started this nonsense, the were pretty much the only choice. Suspension was not very sophisticated many years ago. I think it's a good choice for your current plans. I guess my only thought is to check part numbers ( if possible) to be sure they aren't designed for a short spring setup before changing to something taller.
    I switched one of my DD cars to 35mm shorter springs a few years back. Ride was great , dry road handling improved, versatility decreased , and both tire wear and broken sumo paranoia increased. I look to stock ride height ( or greater) to play on unsurfaced roads.
    Bruce Beauvais
    de N8WLF

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by evosmash View Post
    My situation is this. My current car is an 05 evo 8 mr with some go fast bits. It currently has some springs on it that dropped the ride height (came on car unfortunately)

I am looking to have some offroad fun with it at this point. Nothing competitive but obviously when driving random found roads, conditions can be, shall we say unpredictable. I am just looking to do a couple things to start i.e. skid plate, tires, suspension, Other stuff down the line.

My main question is this, I am obviously forced to change at least my springs, if I was on the stock Bilsteins and MR springs I would just roll with that because it's a decent setup for some fun. However, since I do in fact need to change the springs should I just get another set of stock MR springs to go back on or should I look at something else? Should I be ditching the Bilsteins? At this point I am not concerned with road worthiness as I have another car to drive.

Thanks for the info
    Yhe stock Bilsteins on the MR thing are very short travel...The fronts are inverted 40mm units... There are internal spacers limiting how far the rods stick out so more travel can be had from the actual suff you have but that immediately brings other problems..In front its a question of insert to lower tube overlap or engagement, in the rear its how much that upper balljoint on the arms will articulate..
    And then there is the valving--very asphalty stock,,

There's info but this place is not the place to discuss it....

I've just made some Evo 8 Front inverted 50s---it IS a heavy car, more strength is desirable..
    Maybe you can visit someplace more open to discussion...
    I can suggest it if you would like....PM me.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys, everything helps. I shot you a PM John.

hey john, speaking of the ball joints, any progress? I've tried calling a few times, but haven't heard back.

Quote Originally Posted by Driftnburn View Post
    hey john, speaking of the ball joints, any progress? I've tried calling a few times, but haven't heard back.
    he must be busy wrenching because I have yet to hear back and am very much looking forward to it lol

Hey John, was hoping you would reply to my PM about some more suspension chat but haven't heard from you. let me know if you're still interested in imparting some knowledge. Thanks.