online spectating Sno*Drift 2016 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: online spectating Sno*Drift 2016

Rally cell phone coverage woes? Same story as always: 1.) Rural areas with limited population & industry, so carriers are understandably reticent to push new capacity in... 2.) Limited bandwidth capacity due to lower demand (per#1)... 3.) Organizers may not know about coverage due to where they live; half of our team (STPR) lives in upstate NY... 4.) We have followed NASA RallySport's lead in using Root Metrics for the plotting of a fair amount of the STPR area, but due to a variety of issues both technical and "staffing" we have mostly tried to use the very limited coverage for timing data transfer. I have to assume that we are probably relatively similar to other rallies. I have worked Sno*Drift, NEFR, BRS, STPR, RNY, & RWV and most of these issues have some influence.
    Dave Moore - KB3IEC, STPR Comm. Co-Chief, rally worker, '02 WRX Wagon + '03 Forester, "once upon a time" Datsun Z owner - go RWD!, too poor to race ... Blessings to all!
    "Do not vomit on the finish control workers." (his emphasis) From the section on motion sickness in "North American Performance Rally Codriving" by Dave Shindle.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Partington View Post
    Trying to follow the event online, I really appreciated Jim Beaver's Rally America Radio reports. They weren't on the published schedule, but informative. Well done.

Seems every year media efforts are hampered by lack of cellular coverage in that part of Michigan. Rallies take place in rural areas with sketchy coverage. Why does this always come as a surprise? Local organizers must know where coverage exists and which spots are dead. Do they not share this info with Rally America? Maybe they're not asked. Live streaming of the Super Special didn't happen because there was no signal. Really? This is a surprise?
    Not just Michigan. As mentioned above, we organizers know generally where coverage is but certainly not every hot or dead spot. RA people know what we know. I spent two days driving around with them 3-4 years ago when Bill took over to see what was really there coverage wise. It was as we thought and pretty poor. I don't think it's a surprise to anyone, but for some reason all the arm-chair quarterbacks think it should be better.

NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!! Anders Green's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DatsunZguy View Post
    using Root Metrics for the plotting of a fair amount of the STPR area,
    This is pretty much it in a nutshell. If one doesn't measure and plan to have coverage... well, surprise, when you walk into the woods and hold your phone up in the air, you probably won't have any.

If one knows there is bad coverage in an area... external antennas and signal boosters are available, they really do work, and they can be owned for under $350.

If you don't want to measure and log it all and plan around that, you can get a satellite modem. One can rent a unit for the weekend for under $200.

Yes, you can rally without the internet. You can also rally without fuel injection. You could rally without flashlights. You could rally without computers. You could rally without electronic clocks. But why? The internet is a very powerful communications tool. Why handicap yourself? Anyone that wants to be in the middle of nowhere with zero cell signal can still post updates to facebook like crazy for under $200... if they want to.

Good work on your measuring work Dave.

Anders
    NASA Rally Sport Director
    Your question is probably answered in Rally University.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Anders Green View Post
    This is pretty much it in a nutshell. If one doesn't measure and plan to have coverage... well, surprise, when you walk into the woods and hold your phone up in the air, you probably won't have any.

If one knows there is bad coverage in an area... external antennas and signal boosters are available, they really do work, and they can be owned for under $350.

If you don't want to measure and log it all and plan around that, you can get a satellite modem. One can rent a unit for the weekend for under $200.

Yes, you can rally without the internet. You can also rally without fuel injection. You could rally without flashlights. You could rally without computers. You could rally without electronic clocks. But why? The internet is a very powerful communications tool. Why handicap yourself? Anyone that wants to be in the middle of nowhere with zero cell signal can still post updates to facebook like crazy for under $200... if they want to.

Good work on your measuring work Dave.

Anders
    Just quoting for posterity. I don't always agree with Anders, but when I do...
    Adam

Blew up the clutch at PFR, back at it for Big White!

Put the steering wheel back on VentureCrew35's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Partington View Post
    Trying to follow the event online, I really appreciated Jim Beaver's Rally America Radio reports. They weren't on the published schedule, but informative. Well done.

Seems every year media efforts are hampered by lack of cellular coverage in that part of Michigan. Rallies take place in rural areas with sketchy coverage. Why does this always come as a surprise? Local organizers must know where coverage exists and which spots are dead. Do they not share this info with Rally America? Maybe they're not asked. Live streaming of the Super Special didn't happen because there was no signal. Really? This is a surprise?
    When I'm out on recce I always try to keep an eye on my cell signal and mark down what stages had it and what didn't. I do it both for potential internet/social media use (keeping myself amused during stage delays/tweeting/occasionally live onboard when I think there's enough signal), and more importantly so if something happens to us or the car I know whether I'll be able to contact someone (being able to text the crew immediately is so much better than waiting for sweep and having them play phone tree with our status).

I had strong signal at the parc exposes and services at Sno*Drift and managed to post updates to Periscope during the weekend. Most of the stages were hit or miss, but I did have good service at the super special. Of course results vary greatly depending on cell carrier.

100 K right 2

I had more than enough cell phone coverage to cover the event or at least provide some form of updates. I was on Facebook/Instagram/Etc for most of the weekend trying to keep up with teams updating because the sanctioning body provided very little coverage. Thank God I know plenty of drivers/team members to have been able to keep up. Seriously disappointed. Maybe with Higgins and Pastrana returning for 100AW they'll have some coverage.

P.S. Shout out to the regional/lower classed teams for keeping this sport real and entertaining. Those of us true fans are out there cheering you on and making sure there's photos and videos of your outings as RA doesn't seem to care about you guys/gals.