online spectating Sno*Drift 2016
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: online spectating Sno*Drift 2016

Default online spectating Sno*Drift 2016

I believe the rally starts today but I'm not seeing much pre-event info either on this forum or on Rally America website. 43 entries is pretty strong. With a speed factor of 89.49 Laughlin O'Sullivan is top-seeded. None of the entries have ever won overall at the national level before so it could be anyone's race. What's the best option for following the rally? Will Jim Beaver be doing his "Down and Dirty Radio" reports this season? Facebook? Twitter? If that's the only option, what's the official hashtag?
    Lawrence Partington

TV2GO Toronto

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

50 caution yump

Jim Beaver will be doing the RA Radio:

http://www.downanddirtyshow.com/snodrift2016/
    #542 - 1991 Subaru Legacy Open Class

Lauchlin O'Sullivan won overall at Ojibwe Forest Pro Rally in 2004. National rallies did exist before Rally America
    Dave Grenwis - DG Rally #654 www.DGRally.com

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

LSPR speccie/worker & YBJ fan JTYooper's Avatar

#SnoDriftRally & @SnoDriftRally

I posted a list last year on the LSPR FB page, tagging all of the team FB pages. A lot of the teams post updates, photos, etc, was a good way to keep up with the action. If I get time, I will put together a list for the S*D entries, should be a good amount of carry-over from the LSPR list, then add some of the new teams that I can find.

100 K right 2

WEAK coverage from RA for this. It was a CRAZY weekend in the Sno this year. I was super disappointed in the lack of coverage. I guess they don't give a shit if anyone knows about their series.

100 K right 2

Missed spectating or crewing for the first time in 15 years. I've no idea of what happened in any class. anyone there want to give some details of the weekend?

Roads were in good shape. More snow and less ice than previous years. Didn't snow while I was there, so no new powder, which meant most cars ran on Blizzaks or the equivalent. Lauchlin and Bucky were about the only two on Yoko's. Had proper winter ditches this year but still quite a few stuffed it. There were several flats/debeads too. Stage 14 had at least 5-6 cars come in with a flat left front due to a big rock that got pulled out.
    Lauchlin had it won but hit a slick spot on Hungry 5 that was uncharacteristic from the rest of the stages and just stuffed it. Lost several minutes but still podiumed in SP (but not the result he wanted). I hear that the second place finisher, Miller, did stop and try to pull them out but I think they broke the strap. Without that stop, maybe he'd have won.
    Bucky looked pretty good, but I know he stuffed it at least once on Friday. Then hit something on the super special to damage the suspension enough that he couldn't drive it out. Crew went to look at it between runs but decided they couldn't fix it and left the car there. The SSS was really bumpy and most teams were just glad to get it over with and get back to the woods. I putted through it in my truck and couldn't imagine taking it much faster in a rally car.
    OL looked to have some good battles as always.
    The e30 team was killing it. I haven't compared the times, but imagine they would have won national 2wd had they entered it. Won both days' regionals though.
    The Mustang was fun to watch. Can't imagine competing at SD in that but they did it and were having fun.
    I was really looking forward to our local team of Nickelson/Ptacek to do well this year in the old Golf. They were about the 7th fastest car overall on ss1 but a broken clutch wrecked some other parts and their weekend on ss2. Maybe 100AW. I'd love to see them in a newer car that didn't break so often.
    Other local team in the Jetta did really well, though. Got 3rd on Friday and they swapped seats for Sat and still finished well.
    I worked finishes all weekend. Had cell coverage on Friday so was able to keep up out in the woods, but Sat. but was either too busy or out of signal to post any updates. Had fun as always. Speccies were out in big numbers despite no big name drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
    The e30 team was killing it. I haven't compared the times, but imagine they would have won national 2wd had they entered it. Won both days' regionals though.
    They almost would have! They were about 5 minutes down on Steely, but would have finished second in 2wd ~4 min ahead of Millen had they entered national. From the combined scores they would have been 12th overall. Unfortunately the combiner thingy dropped Steely's scores from the overall listing, but a quick check on RAs website yielded his time.

Stage time wise Steely and Millen were on another level bit both spent time in a snow bank at some point.
    Last edited by dunhamr1; 02-02-2016 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Grammar
    Good place to get started: Rally University

100 K left 2

Great Rally this year! I volunteer every year doing tape and banner, and also Marshal some spots. Even with no pros entering I feel like I had more fun this year than years when we had Foust, Pastrana, le'stage, Block, and other big names. My first year at Bonfire alley and I have to say it absolutely lived up to its reputation. So many die hard fans, and so many bonfires! Truly a great experience I hope will become tradition. Thanks to everyone who entered, or participated in any way, all of us here in Atlanta can't wait to see you again at Sno*Drift 2017!! P.s. hopefully I'll have a car!!!

Trying to follow the event online, I really appreciated Jim Beaver's Rally America Radio reports. They weren't on the published schedule, but informative. Well done.

Seems every year media efforts are hampered by lack of cellular coverage in that part of Michigan. Rallies take place in rural areas with sketchy coverage. Why does this always come as a surprise? Local organizers must know where coverage exists and which spots are dead. Do they not share this info with Rally America? Maybe they're not asked. Live streaming of the Super Special didn't happen because there was no signal. Really? This is a surprise?
    Lawrence Partington

TV2GO Toronto