Special Stage Forums banner

Small town enthusiast with an AW11

8K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  twofoot 
#1 ·
Hi all! Loved rally from the word go, my name is Rich and I am attempting an AW11 stage car for the Canadian Rally Championship. The car itself, that I've named Sonoshee, is what you'd expect from an 80's Toyota. Heavy, underpowered, but loads of fun! Cannot wait to scheme and experiment with other rally builders!

#2 ·
Hi all! Loved rally from the word go, my name is Rich and I am attempting an AW11 stage car
Don't. Terrible platform for Canadian Stage roads..
Fun in parking lots, wrong in Stages..

Horses for courses..

Why not write a bit more. And search.. every few years somebody wants to do a MkI MR2--Obviously you're deep into them--or you would have called them MR2.
Fine love your MR2, but don't waste time and money---even if the name is not intended to be ironic and you're rolling in dough---and doomed...

Look in the long history of stage rally from I dunno pick a nice date like 1968 to NOW and study what cars were both most popular in the whole world---

and what won bazzilions of rallys worldwide--even good enough to beat the guy with the clearly fastest and most expensive car in the series down here?

Something like that is what you should do..
Its easier and cheaper and you'll stay in the sport longer and have MORE FUN..

So what car was it from '68 to now?

#3 ·
Don't know if you still building your MR2 for rally or not, but if you are check out Flatout suspension he makes rally grade suspension for the AW11. Where you located in Canada, I have a 1985 MR2 that i was going to build into a rally car, but priorities changed. I'm on Vancouver Island.

Cheers

Ryan

#4 ·
Ryan: too late, guy isn't going to do it. from his profile thing:
Last Activity 01-11-2016 06:25 PM
Join Date 12-11-2015

And Ryan what was said about super short, low mid engine cars applies to you too..
look around in the world....ya see thousands of short low zero travel nearly mid-engine gravel cars?

Ever?

That should be a hint...
RWD, sure its the most fun and easiest to build into a GOOD strong spec for a limited budget guy

Toyota...sure...but no reason to voluntarily stick with the old MkI 4AGE....not when there's better and bigger motors that make more torque

And finally the guy who claimed he was "making everything 100% in house!!" but then was found to be importing stuff claimed to be Taiwanese but really comes from mainland China.....that guy is not really very honest. He lied about making everything in house, and he just recently--a few weeks barely had a big "release' about "his new fantatsic long travel" stuff.
The "new" stuff now is 160mm travel...
That contrastes to his "old stuff " he was claiming was rally suspension...

Well a stock Subaru, BMW, Sierra/Xratty, Golf etc come stock as road cars with about spot on 160mm travel
Road cars on pavement...

Good gravel suspension is supposed to be LONGER TRAVEL for gravel...
Been that way for more than 40 years..

So if only a couple of weeks ago he annouces his "NEW!!!!" stuff is now 160--and his old stuff around 120mm travel
This means he has ZERO idea of what gravel suspension is supposed to be..

Do yourself and others a favor and do not send people to a guy who lies and who simply hasn't a clue what he's doing.

And find an old Corolla or Celica is you absolutely must have a Toyota...Better AND more fun AND cheaper to build well.

#5 ·
No problem John, we all just want to help each other here, and if he was going to build regardless of your warning about everything mr2, That was a site I came across that "claims" it makes suspension for the MR2 which we all know is one(of many)of its down falls for stage rally.

And I will say this about that suspension supplier I do not endorse his products just that what was on his site and he has that car listed as one that he can make suspension for. It's up to each person to vet a company on their products before you buy.

Sometimes people might need someone to propose a possible solution instead of some telling them that they are just wrong and need stop what they are doing and scrap a project. I'm not saying your wrong about this car and that its not a bad decision for stage rally.

Figured I would try to help even though I knew i would incur the wrath, but thanks for letting know about the suspension company not being truthful.

Cheers

Ryan

#7 ·
Wrath? Fuck me. wrath? I think all you children who grew up clickin and clacking on keyboards have soem seriously fucked up ideas about a whole lotta things and one of them is your feeliings--and language and what shit implies.
You haven't received--nor did the guy that disappeared any "wrath"...

You received extremely gentle, hold-your-little-hand-cause-we-know-you-need-guidance-but -will-cry-and-scream-if-we-say-anything type advice..

Fuckme, man, you know, once, in the real world, before your generation and before a person's socialization and individuation happened on chat/forum/twit-er, before every single male in USA and Canada were all named Justin, Josh, Tyler, Ryan, or Ethan (what the fuck is it? a law all you guys HAVE to be named the same?)
people could occasionally get advice to try to think about things without that advice being construed as some sort of "personal attack'

Now, anything other than an effusive approval of any idea expressed is some sort of "wrath".

You even know what wrath is?

And as for advice..I'll ask..

Given that most people asking EVIDENTLY don't know--logically or they wouldn't be asking--- but also GIVEN that the Generation raised on Keyboards are EVIDENTLY so unaccustomed to anybody ever even hinting that anything they say is anything less than BRILLIANT...2 very prominent tendencies,

ALL one can do HERE--this forum, infested with little provincial cretins who don't give a shit about anything except bragging and trolling, all one can do is suggest, allude, encourage each noob to LOOK FARTHER AFIELD than rinky dink little local events with 60% of the field Subarus and only a few half-decent cars period.. ..

Look father afield---you guys are the keyboard generation, no time in history has it been easier to look at the rest of the ACTIVE world..

That's wrath?

I keep saying..If ordinary common non-boardroom, non-church coffee-clatch type language is regarded as too depressing or too "attacking",

then the offended will surely quit the first time they face actual problems with ca--or trailer=---or tow rig--or...

#8 ·
I attempted to engage in a dialog with you--dialog back and forth to help you yourself understand things about why one format was in the long run more desirable.

Has it ocurred to you to do what was suggested? To look in the rest of the active rally world to see evebnts where there's 120-180 enties and see what type of cars they are currrently running? And have in the past?

It might shock you...But reality sometimes is shocking..

Look, obviously you're another one who has hyper-sensitive offense senors, and oddly poor reading skills..
I'll try simplest possible language

BOTH FWD and RWD can and are proven fun and effective platforms for driving down gravel roads..
A POS stock car built for MPG in EITHER FWD or RWD is mainly a POS.

A FWD or RWD car with the proper parts to make it a gravel rally car BOTH work fine. (And I have ONLY driven FWD myself---but a proper built FWD---with a close ratio gear set, a very short final drive (initially 5.83:1, later 5.43) and a good all steel clutchplate type LSD)

The difference is mainly the COST of the gearbox, final drive and LSD, the poor availablity of those specific parts, and the complexity for beginners to install those parts and the near impossiblity to substitute any other driveline stuff to any heavier duty parts..

That's it.
For many FWD cars you simply cannot get shorter final drive or a LSD much less a closer gearset.
For a few you can but the total cost is in the multiple thousands of dollars for a gearset, and a thousand for a final drive, and another thousand for a LSD and then 10 hours for installation

This is a serious impediment to making a car ready for competition on gravel.

So both are fine when built, only the cost differs..

The new "party line" people say about FWD being better presumes the 2wd car is merely an interim first step on the way to buying and driving a turbo AWD car......

You are evidently butt-hurt what I said so maybe search for the interview going round the Inter-net with NZ WRC driver Haydon Paddon. Paddon said "If your are thinking about a career driving rally, then FWD might be a better start on the road to a turbo AWD car, but if you're rally for fun (and 99.999% of people doing this ARE), then RWD..."

but search for it.

There is a small chance that Paddon knows more about doing rally than the guys at Broken who are after all just a gang of happy amateurs building stuff for happy amateurs. And seemingly without much concern for costs.

again both FWD and RWD when built with proper parts are fine and both are fun.

ONLY THE COST to build an effective car differs.

#9 ·
thanks john I literally laugh out loud when reading your post's,and I do value your opinion and experience on the subject, just approaching the subject at different point of view of problem solving instead of telling someone(even with your reasons valid they be) that they should stop with build and build something else that they don't own or may not have access to buying. At work its what i do is finding solutions to problems that guys have at gas plants/pulp mills / Steel refineries etc. Seems that all rally cars have a few things in common. 1. they are cars 2. All cars are modified for rally.

Anyway here is a comparison, the second car is kinda a big deal in the world of rally

MR2
wheel base 91.3in
length 155.5in
height 48.6
curb weight(stock) 2282lbs
hp 112-128
5spd manual
mid engine
RWD

Rally Legend ?
wheel base 85.5in
length 146.1in
height 43.7in
curb weight(stock) 2161lbs
hp 190
5 spd manual
Mid engine
RWD

Besides the obvious power difference these cars are not that different except the wheel base is longer on MR2. I may be a newb but I can see that any rally car out there has some pretty significant upgrades to performance and safety / suspension.
That being said
Immediate problems with MR2
Problem: with MR2 bad air cleaner placement - Fix: with snorkel
Problem : Low power - Fix:get a supercharged model, better spark plugs / k&n air filter / Turbo / exhaust etc
Problem : Suspension - Fix: get after market suspension (like every rally car out there)

These are the problems that you listed i believe.

In closing John I'm not advocating the use of one car or another, there better cars to start with than the MR2 and there are worse ones yes, but who cares if someone builds a car to rally with. Thats what the is sport is built on and always has been.

lets all hold hands now

Thanks for the wrath

p.s

Think i might build a X1-9 for a rally car.

#10 ·
thanks john I literally laugh out loud when reading your post's,and I do value your opinion and experience on the subject, just approaching the subject at different point of view of problem solving instead of telling someone(even with your reasons valid they be) that they should stop with build and build something else that they don't own or may not have access to buying. At work its what i do is finding solutions to problems that guys have at gas plants/pulp mills / Steel refineries etc. Seems that all rally cars have a few things in common. 1. they are cars 2. All cars are modified for rally.

Anyway here is a comparison, the second car is kinda a big deal in the world of rally

MR2
wheel base 91.3in
length 155.5in
height 48.6
curb weight(stock) 2282lbs
hp 112-128
5spd manual
mid engine
RWD

Rally Legend ?
wheel base 85.5in
length 146.1in
height 43.7in
curb weight(stock) 2161lbs
hp 190
5 spd manual
Mid engine
RWD

Besides the obvious power difference these cars are not that different except the wheel base is longer on MR2. I may be a newb but I can see that any rally car out there has some pretty significant upgrades to performance and safety / suspension.
That being said
Immediate problems with MR2
Problem: with MR2 bad air cleaner placement - Fix: with snorkel
Problem : Low power - Fix:get a supercharged model, better spark plugs / k&n air filter / Turbo / exhaust etc
Problem : Suspension - Fix: get after market suspension (like every rally car out there)

These are the problems that you listed i believe.

In closing John I'm not advocating the use of one car or another, there better cars to start with than the MR2 and there are worse ones yes, but who cares if someone builds a car to rally with. Thats what the is sport is built on and always has been.

lets all hold hands now

Thanks for the wrath

p.s

Think i might build a X1-9 for a rally car.
First: what car is a rally legend with a 85.5" wheelbase? Mid engine? Only thing I can imagine is Lancia Stratos whatever that weird ass thing they built for Sandro Munari which only worked on tarmac--and was kicked and stomped on any loose surface? Is that what you are referring to? One weird car used fleetingly then shelved for the great Fiat 131 Super Mirafiore?
Shirley you jest.

Now that is a great car and worth examining for what elements made that work as well as it did..

Second why>? Because in the last 31 years we have all seen what happened when people have what we call "a brilliant idea" to build something painfully obviously (to any who pay attention) a developmental dead end--ie there are no final drives short enough to be fun, no decent diffs, horribly limited suspension travel because its a low sports car---or some ultra MPG FWD shit-box.

They spend a lot of money, have some fun then drop out suffering huge monetary loss. Or they write off the loss and since they couldn't get the simplest of things for the Nowigotcha IZ7000GSTI to make it go quick, they conclude good bits for anything else are equally unavailable and they buy a Subaru and spend 3-4 times what they spent on the other thing, they drone around midpack or less, blow up a lot of parts and then
They drop out.

The contrast to those wise enough to build easily available simple RWD cars could not be more dramatic...

#11 ·
Yes you got it with the stratos(did win 3 championships though), that fiat abarth is a beauty though. Just thought i would have some fun with you. I did some digging on that "suspension" company it's sad to say you were right would've been nice to get quality suspension for his prices though.

later John

until the next wrath

Ryan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.