Special Stage Forums banner

Stage length

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Phr00t 
#1 ·
What do people (honestly) think about stage length?

For BW2016 I'm looking at an option that would bring a 40km (24 mile) long stage that would take about 40 minutes for the 'average' team to complete? (Yes, average average speed of 38mph. Max average speed of 45mph)

Having done one similar in 2006 (50km in 38 min) I know it was a workout, but absolutely worth it.

Of course there are safety concerns that come into a stage that long, but if those could be managed... what do people think?

#2 ·
I really like longer stages but you have to balance them with the risk that an incident may cause a huge delay/cancellation of the stage. I ran a few long 40+km stages at Perce Neige, they were aweseome but every time we ran into significant delays on stage due to cars blocking the road, having to get out and help them move out of the way etc. We were in stage one time for 59mins on a 50km stage....Given Big White is snow i'd think shortening it up into 2 shorter stages (workers, i know that may be an issue) would be safest to allow for a good stage for everyone with the least chance for big issues causing competitors to miss stages.

#3 ·
I would rather risk a cancelled stage for the chance at running a 40km stage. Perce Neige super-long stages were my favourite, it really separates the men from the boys and who fades over long distances.

And if BigWhite is 200+kms, there is plenty of stage kms to sort everyone out. I'd definitely prefer the long stage to be at the end just in case unforeseen circumstances forced its cancellation. 240 stage km, 200 stage km before the final super-long stage? YES PLEASE!

#7 ·
I know I am not likely to run it but I sure loved the 28-30 km stage we had last year short stage (under 12) it seem like you just get in the groove and its the end already I sure do better on long stage... And gravel than snow for the people that remember my first go at big white

Keith go for the long run long stage

#9 ·
Longer stage at the beginning / middle of the day, rather than at the end/at night would be my thoughts.

Takes lots of effort to stay focused for that length of time, and do you want to have that at the end of the day when people are already sapped? Or in the middle right after a service break?

I may be over-estimating the attrition level from this kind of stage length, but those are my thoughts, and I'm too new to really have any kind of real opinion :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.