prepping a Ford focus hatchback for stage rally - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: prepping a Ford focus hatchback for stage rally

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by ZBeezy View Post
    Hey thanks for all the info! What is your phone number so I can call you instead of message! Haha and after reading all you said group 2 seems like the way to go! I raced motocross for a few years up until this last month. I shattered my femur real bad... like 11 pieces bad haha so I figured if that was a good sign to get a cage haha. I still ride I just dont race anymore. Im 22 and ill be 23 in December. The reason I went ford focus is because I love seeing the old wrc videos of guys in focus ripping down stages! I know they had all wheel drive and mine is just 2wd but a guy can imagine its the same haha! I do love subarus but the $ isnt there to race one right now and I have been told 2wd is a great starting point. I also like to represent ford because my great grandpa worked for them so I guess you could say its in the family. I am very passionate about off road and im just trying to make a dream a reality. I wasnt able to make it to the ojibwe forest rally but i am trying to make a local rally cross in October with my car. I am not far from fargo if he wants to sell focus parts. I live 20 minutes from st.paul Minnesota.

I see the green light going so you'se awake, the phone number is in the signature below

Telephone 206 431 9696

I got ciggies now, so you can call
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

400 flat to crest
    2007 S.126th ST. Seattle, WA. 98168, USA.

Er uhm , like YIKES!

man, nasty!
    I broke so many differnt bones in those moto-cross years, ripped anterior cruciate off left and right knee a couple of times and lateral meniscus tears repeatedly, crushed vertebrea both way up high and down in lumbar and lost 1.6" height compacting the spine, left tib-fib is roughly 3/4" shorter than right from a compound fracture right where it is skinny and all bone--so no blood flow---and in the end 7 full months in a big cast..
    last 5 years I've had like 5 or 6 operations repairing stuff from 30 years ago--all new shiny metal knee, both nostrils ported and polished, nother broken leg--and I limped aorund for 4 weeks thinking I'm getting old and was snivelling too much so i finally went in and they are "WHEN!!!!! 4 weeks ago! sieze him you fools, that leg is broken"..

You gonna call? I'm here in the day cause my girls haven't started school yet so call then if you want.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle, WA, USA
    www.rallyrace.net/jvab
    www.rallyanarchy.com

Telephone +1 206 431 9696
    Rememeber the time zone difference

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

The Scorpion King John Sundelin's Avatar

Group 2 or its equivalents (i.e. normally aspirated, 2WD, <3L or so of displacement) is going to be the cheapest to participate in, and it generally doesn't take much to be competitive, because most of the cars are just slightly modified. There will usually be one or two cars in the class at any given event that are fast, but look at it this way: If you had $50,000 burning a hole in your pocket, would you build a very nice 2WD car, or would you just go out and buy a Subaru or Evo that is in rally-ready condition. The fact that most people choose the Subie or Evo is what kept the cap on spending in 2WD in the $30k range or so until the Fiesta R2 showed up. The Fiesta R2 kit (in the 1600cc normally aspirated form) is about $35,000, and that doesn't include the car, installation, etc, so that'd put you right around $50k, assuming you didn't start from a brand new car. There are some 2WD cars that in the same hands would probably be faster (I am thinking of certain ex-factory VW Golf III kit cars), but the returns start to diminish pretty quickly once you have a good engine, good brakes, sequential transmission, and 2 or 3 way adjustable dampers (and the last is dependent on being able to set them for the conditions). On the other hand, the running costs of a 2WD non-turbo car will be much lower, so with that hypothetical $50,000 for the car, and say $25,000 per year of operating budget, you could do more rallies in the 2WD car, which I am pretty sure is what has given the R2 it's popularity. But, if you started out with a $10k car, and put good gears, good brakes, and some decent cams, you won't get blown out of the water at any event if you drive it even competently.

--
    John