Which 14" tire should Maxxis Bring in for the Victra R19 gravel tire - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which 14" tire should Maxxis Bring in for the Victra R19 gravel tire

The DMack 175/70/14 tires that I use are 23.42 inch Diameter. I like the additional tire height, perhaps it is not a valid reason dependent on sidewall construction and suspension specifications (not 12 inches of travel - just near stock travel).

Maxxis175/65R14 23.1 vs DMack 23.42 inches (595mm)
    Maxxis185/65R14 23.8 vs DMack 23.54 inches (598mm)

I believe that I would prefer the wider/taller tire.

Do have a cost or information on the construction of the tires?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

I guess one other thing, are these directional tires and L/R side specific, or are they copying the Michelin non-directional tread? Doing some google searching, it looks like they are L/R side tires. The way I see it, 14" tires are more of a regional/grassroots tire and having a tire that can go on any side of the car and you don't have to worry about which direction they're mounted really saves in the long run for teams on a budget to purchase new tires. Just my two cents.

I wonder on the construction of these as well. The US has been known to get the Danny DeVito "twins" effect when they ship rally tires to us. I've heard of a great disparity in some Euro vs USA product in tire quality from several manufacturers.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    1996 Civic - Build thread!
    1992 Civic - Wife's rally car
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

100 oversquare right

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Elliot View Post
    I guess one other thing, are these directional tires and L/R side specific, or are they copying the Michelin non-directional tread? Doing some google searching, it looks like they are L/R side tires. The way I see it, 14" tires are more of a regional/grassroots tire and having a tire that can go on any side of the car and you don't have to worry about which direction they're mounted really saves in the long run for teams on a budget to purchase new tires. Just my two cents.

Buffum once told me they didn't really notice a difference (with the Michelins) when using the tire on the wrong side. YMMV.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SpecialStage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
    Buffum once told me they didn't really notice a difference (with the Michelins) when using the tire on the wrong side. YMMV.
    Was that only in the dry conditions without loose gravel on top? I'd expect in loose gravel and more so in the wet there could be a difference just as the same as a uni-directional tire being run reverse rotation in the wet would be sweeping the water to the middle of the tire instead of away from it.

I guess I'd take Buffum's word though over mine as they've had the experience to run test sessions all day, back to back with changes like this. I know when I run my 15" Dmacks that are L/R bias, I carry a spare right side tire (since you're more likely to hit something on the co-driver's side) as my spare.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!
    Octane Academy Alumni. They found the best driver by having us snowboard and ride ski bikes!

100 K left 2

Hi Billy,

You don't have to worry about the Victra R19, They will be the same as what you would get if it was in Europe.

Thanks,
    -Ritche

Billy-

All the Dmacks on the shelf here were shipped directly from the UK warehouse and are the same tires being sold in Europe.

You are right about the 14" though, very few teams still run them and most that do try anything to avoid buying new ones.

-Justin

pressing on tirelessly

Not entirely true.

The supply of 14" tires seems to shift around and no one has them on a regular basis so people using them tend to assume they're unavailable and make do with what they have. If you can get them on a regular basis and it's cheaper than ordering from DemonTweaks, I suggest you trumpet that loudly and clearly.

In my opinion, I'd rather use 14" wheels and tires when I can. 15" are too big and heavy for my liking but I have wheels for both so I can buy what is available. The weight difference between my mounted 14 and 15 setups is huge. I'm not running a crazy brake setup on my Civic so 14" wheels work fine.
    Billy Elliot Mann
    Car #37
    1988 VW GTI - Sold!

Hoche-
    I have had them in stock regularly for 4 years at a price consistently better than other options and they have never sold well. I belive this is why most vendors don't bother keeping them on the shelf.

Also just for clarity, even though Demon Tweeks has Dmacks listed on their website, according to Dmack corporate, they have never actually carried Dmack tires. If you have actually purchased Dmacks from DT please let me know.